Matching tyres.

Cranfield

I currently have General Grabber ATs on my truck.

The other day I drove over some metal in long grass and tore a hole in the sidewall of the front nearside one.

My local tyre garage cannot get any GG ATs and UK online suppliers don't have them.

I have managed to locate one from TyreLeader in Germany and its on its way.

Apparently General are now on General Grabber AT3, having had AT2 and I was offered one of these.

My other tyres have a lot of meat left on them, as I am off-road quite a lot.

The tread pattern on the AT3s looks nothing like the ATs.

If another tyre goes before the set is all due to be replaced, how bothered should I be about mixing them ?

I would stay with All Terrain tyres, but probably one or two different patterns.

Yes, I'm with figgy on this one. In an emergency for a short run back home , yes ok but as a permanent set up, then you need at least the same tyre on front axle with similar on rear. At the moment I have some Mastercraft on the rears of my Land Rover and Cooper on the front, all the same size obviously. The Mastercraft are due for renewal in the new year and I will be putting Coopers all round, moving the front to back and new on the front.

I just had 4 new General Grabber AT3 fitted to my Jeep I really wanted something a bit more aggressive BFG ATs for some stupid reason they put 17" alloys on my truck and I could not get anything that I liked the look of in 235 x 65 x 17 they are supposed to be 50/50 rated and they are growing on me as I get used to looking at them how good they will be off road only time will tell.

I like to have all the same tyre type and make on my cars/trucks when the tyre makers do something like that it is a problem if I could not get the odd one as a last resort I would plum to have two new General Grabber AT3 on the same axle with the most aggressive on the rear and use the other one as a spare I am assuming that your present spare is not that good.

Thanks for the advice, keep the same per axle seems to be the consensus, so thats what I will do.

very sensible...................freelanders are very prone to transmission probs with mixed tyres.............as are other 4x4.......

also miss matched tyres can upset the sensors as well on more modern vehicles

Edited by ditchman

What truck is it Cranfield, if it's permanent 4-wheel-drive then different tyres could cause a problem with wind-up?

I had this trouble with a Classic RR some years ago... I had BF Goodrich tyres fitted, and they discontinued the particular version, I fitted two different ones, and the bus performed alarmingly until I got all four the same. I could have the same trouble with my current Disco, four GG AT2s on the road wheels, and a never used, much more road-biased spare, but, like you, I've been unable to find another AT2, and, as I'm from Yorkshire, and tight, I'm not replacing 4 tyres with over 8mm of tread!!!

Mike.

I like to have all the same make and type of tyres I do not think that it matters that much if you are doing a lot of off road driving but driving on the road when I had my Suzuki Vitara it had three different makes of tyre on it all the correct size and all AT tyres in good condition but I was not happy with it so I had a set of 4 General Grabber ATs and it made the thing so much nicer to drive and it was well worth spending the money as it was used mostly on the road but with the odd green lane now and then.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Is the spare wheel/tyre the same? If so put the spare on and keep the new tyre as the spare?

I think if it was as simple as that then he would have done it spare wheel tyres in my experience tend to be old and worn on one side or all over ok the odd one will be good when I got my 2000 jeep I put 5 new AT tyres on it and never used the spare when I sold it ten years later it was still unused that is why I only got 4 this time.