What to do with Cedar cladding?

arm3000gt

After having some UPVC cladding done I have now got about 30 pieces of cedar cladding approx 1400x200x15mm. It looked too good to throw away so I kept it. It has been treated with various Ronseal type products on one side. Anyone got any good ideas of what to do with it? Or does anyone have a need for it?

You could make some planters for flowers. I buy the rectangular plastic planters from b and q and make a container to fit them. They look better than having the plastic showing, plus you can have the plastic ones planted up in the greenhouse to get them established before you put them outside.

Edited by peck

You could make some planters for flowers. I buy the rectangular plastic planters from b and q and make a container to fit them. They look better than having the plastic showing, plus you can have the plastic ones planted up in the greenhouse to get them established before you put them outside.

Shssh! dont want my mrs to see that tip :no:

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Along similar lines of the planters I was thinking about a making a well water feature. Build a well around a large bucket, then buy a cheap solar pond pump to provide the flowing water with the solar panel on the roof of the well. Going to try and do something with it this week, its cluttering up the garden.

I had a go at two bird boxes this afternoon. Hardly the work of a master craftsman but a pleasant 2 hours bodging none the less.

WP_20161228_003_zpsiuivmxql.jpg

Nice job, just one suggestion, ( RSPB actually ), drill a hole approx 2 inches below the entrance hole, glue in a piece of dowel which should extend inside and out an equal distance ( approx 2 inches ) which will act as a resting perch for returning birds and an internal perch for fledglings as they attempt to leave the nest. :good::good:

Nice job, just one suggestion, ( RSPB actually ), drill a hole approx 2 inches below the entrance hole, glue in a piece of dowel which should extend inside and out an equal distance ( approx 2 inches ) which will act as a resting perch for returning birds and an internal perch for fledglings as they attempt to leave the nest. :good::good:

Thanks for the tip, I will look for something tomorrow to do as you suggest.

I will make a few more tomorrow and try a few different designs.

How about making an Owl box, and either fixing it in some woodland, or ask a farmer if he could fit it inside/outside one of his barns. I've done this a few times, and the farmer/s welcomed them, as the Owls keep the rodents in check.

If you Google 'Owl Boxes' there's plenty of information on how to make one.

Is the entrance hole big enough for a bird to get through?

The RSPB website suggested 25mm for blue tits and 28mm for tree sparrows so that's what I did. Large opening for Robins, 32mm for house sparrows.

How about making an Owl box, and either fixing it in some woodland, or ask a farmer if he could fit it inside/outside one of his barns. I've done this a few times, and the farmer/s welcomed them, as the Owls keep the rodents in check.

If you Google 'Owl Boxes' there's plenty of information on how to make one.

I will look into this.

Is it one chamber or could one be made with 3 compartments? this would make one box with 3 nest oportunities. one on each side and the back against a tree.

They are all one compartment. I read that I shouldn't place nest boxes too close to each other as might disturb each other. This I'm not sure about as I know nothing about the nesting preferences of birds. I may make one anyway, something else to try.

I made a couple more, didn't follow any plans which explains the..... poor symmetry. Looked at making and owl box, they are pretty big. I think that will be a project for another day, not sure I have enough wood to complete one either as the pieces are shorter and narrower than I first thought.

WP_20161229_001_zpsvzqhvjf5.jpg