Llechweddygarth - Extreme High Pheasant - Go Pro 5 Headcam

Duffryn

Now for something a bit different. A big day on Extreme High Pheasant at one of the UK's top 10 shoots in Mid Wales. I will be the first to admit I struggled but I'm honest in showing every shot.

This shoot levels the best of shots though I had the added hindrance very little sleep the night before, feeling sick for most of the day, trying to film the day, freezing cold hands and a faulty SD card.

There were so many birds that I didn't have time to follow the birds down or show all those that were shot. Now I have made my excuses please watch and enjoy ! Filmed in Narrow FOV that shows the birds at a true distance.

Gutting that the camera failed me on the 2nd drive so you will just have to imagine another 10 minutes of that one.

Rob had to stay at home for this one but he is out with me for the rest of the season.

Fair play for posting that Duffryn. Grai's Mountain, The rocks and Ochr (your last drive) are seriously high drives.How did you think it compared to Powis Castle?

Powis is good and great fun, Vivod, Delbury, etc are probably a step up and Llechweddygarth a couple more steps up again ! We had a strong team of guns including those that hardly ever miss and Llechweddygarth leveled most of us . I think if I were lucky enough to shoot there once a year it would be more than enough. I was exhausted at the end of the day.

Certainly some extreme high birds there. Nice to see your videos again Duffryn, but personally i prefered your old camera/footage, the sound of the shot etc seemed to make the footage more alive, especially through headphones.

Still great footage though, not complaining.

Always enjoy your videos, can't imagine how long it took you to edit that one!

It's nice to experience driven pheasant through your camera, it's not for me.

I enjoy our little diy shoot where we put 500 birds down, if I fire a box of cartridges a season I'm doing well!

Merry Christmas and thanks again for sharing :good:

I had the pleasure to shoot 3 Valleys and this back to back a fortnight ago ....

Both great shoots ... not at all commercial, you get to chat to the beaters and pickers up and it's like a family shoot.

I was peg 5 on Jet Run, and put just to the left of where you were on Grai's Mountain. Had a couple of boxes of 40g 4's and didn't feel oevrgunned. That has to be the best drive in the country. My father was next to David Carrie a few weeks earlier and he shouted across "if you see one low enough give me a shout" .....

The Rock put the birds a lot closer, but christ they were difficult. Dropping like stones and every one different.

I didn't bother with my gp4, as I thought nothing would even show as visible, but the narrow fov is a good tip.

Once a year would be lovely.

I had the pleasure to shoot 3 Valleys and this back to back a fortnight ago ....

Both great shoots ... not at all commercial, you get to chat to the beaters and pickers up and it's like a family shoot.

I was peg 5 on Jet Run, and put just to the left of where you were on Grai's Mountain. Had a couple of boxes of 40g 4's and didn't feel oevrgunned. That has to be the best drive in the country. My father was next to David Carrie a few weeks earlier and he shouted across "if you see one low enough give me a shout" .....

The Rock put the birds a lot closer, but christ they were difficult. Dropping like stones and every one different.

I didn't bother with my gp4, as I thought nothing would even show as visible, but the narrow fov is a good tip.

Once a year would be lovely.

Wow that must have been a very special two days ! I hadn't appreciated how challenging the shoot would be so only took 32g 5's. Agreed the Rock was particularly challenging, hardly a single bird flying straight and dropping at a rate I have never seen before. The camera was a needless distraction and I think you made the right choice leaving it at home (it also meant that I had ice cream head on Grai's mountain from the horizontal freezing rain). Robert and the team were superb hosts and as you say not at all commercial. I really couldn't think of a single thing they could have done to have made the day an better.

Edited by Duffryn

Certainly some extreme high birds there. Nice to see your videos again Duffryn, but personally i prefered your old camera/footage, the sound of the shot etc seemed to make the footage more alive, especially through headphones.

Still great footage though, not complaining.

Agreed the GP4 captures the sound of the shot much more effectively, it might start using that again just in the frame mount on dry days. The GP5's in built waterproof case seems to muffle the sound even with the sound correction system turned off

Unbelievable experience no doubt, bet that wasn't a cheap day!!

Had plenty of practise and a chance to really get your eye in but they were high curling birds alright....must have been frustrating at times though!

I'm envious at having that many birds to shoot at on each drive, certainly not a shoot for the average game shot.

Unbelievable experience no doubt, bet that wasn't a cheap day!!

Had plenty of practise and a chance to really get your eye in but they were high curling birds alright....must have been frustrating at times though!

I'm envious at having that many birds to shoot at on each drive, certainly not a shoot for the average game shot.

Not not cheap but the cost per bang was on a par with most other shoots. I'm not good enough to enjoy shooting there regularly ( which would be frustrating) but as a treat it was an experience that I will never forget.

Top quality as usual and I echo those that commend you for showing the misses, as well as the hits.

That is beautiful country and shows some incredible birds.

Your loader/instructor is a good chap, but I would have found the "conversation" distracting and would have preferred the coaching before and after the drive, not during.

I use the "method" sometimes when shooting and other times I use maintained lead, but neither consciously (that may not make sense, but I know what I mean).

I agree you may have been better shooting the style you are familiar with and just upping the lead.

I know the frustration you say you felt, I too have wished for drives to end quickly, so I can reassemble my brain before the next one.

The thing I learnt many years ago, was what your chap said, " take less shots, but kill more pheasants".

Getting carried away at big flushes and rushing shots guarantees misses.

There is nothing wrong with letting a bird go.

Thanks for posting. :santa:

Wow.. Thank you for posting, simply fantastic.

The weather and birds were very testing, I can get put off shooting next to a picker up eager to work his dog let alone someone I feel obliged to shoot my best for! Seemed like a nice chap and you clearly feel his tuition made a big difference which is all that is important.

I hope to be able to shoot days like that one day.

wow...am beginning to think Wales has it over the SW.......a number of those birds were mental!!...rare occassion when the 42g of 3s and 4s make sense...I love the rare days on top high bird shoots like these...at the end of the day,with a wee dram in your hand you feel like you've been 15 rounds with Mike Tyson and raped by a stallion....but glowing..!..special days..and a great and honest video.''read the line and feel the lead'' but boy those took some feeling!!