Maximum load - Baikal SBS

Bumble

Can anyone advise what the maximum weight cartridge I can put through my Baikal SBS is please? The barrels are stamped with 12-70 900kg. i''ve got some 70mm 36g BBs I've used for Charlies in the past but I'm unsure (and can't find info anywhere) to tell me if it's safe to use them in this or not.

Cheers.

Can anyone advise what the maximum weight cartridge I can put through my Baikal SBS is please? The barrels are stamped with 12-70 900kg. i''ve got some 70mm 36g BBs I've used for Charlies in the past but I'm unsure (and can't find info anywhere) to tell me if it's safe to use them in this or not.

Cheers.

It's proofed for 1-1/2oz/42 gram 2-3/4" LEAD Cartridges

I think you need to get your Gun fitted to you then mate

That is very true one dose need fitting, but the other with 32g clear pigeon its a bit more that you want put up with all day but its the gun I take for a quick walk round as its so light and with 28g velocity its a pleasure to shoot.

There are many posts on here about guns kicking like mules and only using 28grm loads ect. Years ago when light SBS were the norm the standard load was 30 with 32 for those out and up There. 34 was for fox drives and wildfowling. Ok you wouldn't want to shoot them all day but they were ok. A lot of this kicking issue is not getting the gun into the shoulder and holding it correctly

I can fit 3" cartridges into it, but I wouldn't be stupid enough to fire one.

I've used one of the 36g BBs through it now, and while it took a stiff single malt or 3 for me afterwards, Mr Fox certainly wasn't happy with the outcome either.

A number of years ago I gave a buffalo 36g BB to a chap who was a bit of a novice and using a single barrel baikal. He used it on a drey. Let's just say he cursed me haha.

a few years ago a pal snapped the stock on a nearly brand new baikal over & under,he took it out in the field and tied twine round the trigger and put an express 1.5 mini magnum shell in and shoved a piece of wood up the barrel and put the barrels in the plough,he hid behind a hedge 20 yards back. anyway after 2 shots through the same barrel,there was a slight bulge at the barrel end and the first inch of the rib lifted at the breech. strong old guns!

Guest cookoff013

Well,

I've fired a good variety of shells, the only ones that caused me problems were the lylvale 3" 53g #5 and the 3.5" 66gram BB from gamebore.

This talk of 36g is mildly comical.

Next thing you know there will be a magnum 18g cartridge knocking about !