No Christmas Jumper

pigeon controller

DB had broken up for the holiday on Wednesday so Thursday we were out at 08.30 looking. We had pulled up at a rape field which runs along a large wood which is a good source of birds for the game shoot. We counted approx three hundred birds on the floor and in the trees, we would not ask to shoot this during the game season but we would have like to shoot it. While we watched a four by four pulled up and it was the farmers nephew and he asked us to shoot a specific rape field which he had seen birds on all week. Now we would not normally shoot a field on recomendation of others without us seeing the birds ourselves. As we drove up to the field it had approx fifty down and none joining but being good pigeon decoyers we acceded to the request. The next problem is the farmer and his son are away skiing so has the nephew the right to let us shoot with a game shoot the next day? O.K. contact the keeper to get the OK, phone on answerphone, drive to keepers house just as he was leaving to collect his turkey, quick chat, no problem as long as you stay on the field. So back to the field, no birds!, drive around no birds flighting or visable on ajacent farms. So decison, drive around and look for more birds, which we do and find them on another farm. This is a different flock we think about two hundred, talk to the farmer No Way you will upset the partridges. We spent another hour looking before we returned to the first field , fifty down so we go and set up on the far edge with the wind off our backs with ten on cradles and two on the magnet, it is now 11.00 and the first returning bird come straight in the shot lifts approx two hundred birds out of all the surounding woods. The shooting continues until 15.30 when it just stopped, it took us a time to collect the fallen birds out of the tall rape with George working very well on the field edges picking birds we did not know we had shot. As its the last week before the Christmas break it is usual for me to wear a special jumper but this year the Grand kids had bought me a special hat with ears and a beard!! So we collected ninety pigeons for the picture.

Today Friday saw me collect DB at 08.00 due to the impending arrival of Barbara the weather front. We were keen to get set up in the dry and shoot before the rain, Poo and Corruption arrived. To put it mildly we had a disaster of a day we set up three times on three farms and they just went off in the wind . The magnet decided to shear its teeth with the wind pressure and we ended up in a small conifer wood roost shooting to bag up with three birds. The total bag for the day was fortyfive pigeons with no picture.

Can I wish all members and readers of Pigeon Watch a very Happy Christmas and a Healthy, Wealthy and Productive New Year. From Myself, DB and George

ec8e7af3-9193-4437-a41e-d716a71a374c_zps

Many thanks PC, for yet another year of excellent bags and detailed write-ups which are always most

enjoyable and informative.

Seasons greetings to you and yours and we look forward to details of your further exploits in the new

year.

OB