Best chokes for pigeons

Tashlah

Hi all. First of all merry xmas. I'm after some advice. I recently bought a lanber sporting deluxe. It didn't have any spare chokes with it. It came with full and improved. I'm relatively new to pigeon shooting so I was after some advice as to wether these chokes are suitable or any tips anyone has would be much appreciated. I was maybe thinking of keeping the improved one in and maybe swapping the full for 1/2. Thanks in advance

It really is like asking how long is a piece of string. Initially I would go and shoot with it a bit and see what results you get. It would appear you have both extremes. Personally I shoot full and full almost all of the time, but that's me. I think you would be best looking for two new chokes and in MY view they might as well be both the same but somewhere in the mid range maybe even 3/4 ... you have a full , so if you get the chance to flight some birds into a wood and the birds are way above the trees, 35 -40rds you can include that when needed. I am absolutely certain there will be a number of others on here who will find some long and shorter pieces of string :yes:

Is tbat a good combination ?

It wouldn't be my choice but it depends how you shoot with it.

In basic terms one is the least choke and the other the most choke you can have in your gun.

As mossy says he uses 3/4.

I would prefer 1/4 or 1/2.

It depends on your cartridges and how you shoot.

In my old lanber i had improved in bottom and modified in the top. Lanbers have a rather tight bore. When I patterned mine the above choke combination was more akin to 3/8th and 5/8th which I rekon will serve you well.

Either way I think it would be a great place for you to start until you get used to the guns characteristics

Edited by stevo

So the more open choke is gonna be better for short range birds and full for a bit further out

Personally I won't quite think of it like that. More a case of the right combination to cover your backside in the field

3/8 th and 5/8 th will cover all your needs from 20 yards out to 50 maybe 55 yards depending on your cart choice and of course your skill with the gun.

Your choke choice should depend on what range your shooting. I use 1/4 and 1/2 for most decoying, aiming to shoot the first target at 20-30 yards. It doesn't matter which barrel is which choke, but you should shoot the more open choke first as the second shot is usually further away. I then switch the 1/4 to 3/4 for roost shooting or the 1/2 to skeet for shooting skeet clays ... so usually only changing one choke but switching which barrel I set to shoot first.

Some people use skeet and skeet as rarely shoot at range while other like full and full all the time - it depends what suits you, the gun and your cartridge.

It is good practice to use some gun grease on the choke threads and slacken/tighten ever few months if not changing them to make sure they do not seize up, my second gun had both chokes locked solid and took some getting out.

If in doubt Google '12 gauge choke tube sizing' or 'identification' loads of info on notching,names,patterns, shot strings etc.

As for the correct ones you need, start with the 1/4 and 1/2 , if you have switchable barrels put the 1/4 in the first barrel to fire, if they are not switchable its usually the bottom barrel first, the 1/2 in the second barrel will give you a tighter pattern as the bird tries to leg it away, so slightly longer range,

If you set your decoy pattern up from 20 yards out to 35 yards you can use the decoys as a range finder, try to shoot the birds as near the front of the pattern so around 20 to 30 yards out, then take second shots as they move off from 25 out to 35 or even 40 yards,

depending on your skill levels and choice of cartridge don't fire at long range birds where you might just hit them,causing injury and not bring them down, as this causes unnecessary suffering and wasted cartridges. :yes::yes:

Edited by lakeside1000