Best chokes for pigeons

Tashlah

In pigeon shooting you will get every shot in the book and from practical experience I don't think one choke will cover every shot you take , I am not on the technical side when it comes to chokes and as you can see by the above posts nearly everyone use a different combination , so if I was in your shoes I would learn how to shoot well with the gun you have got and if you find you are hitting the birds to hard , which I very much doubt you will , then by all means go down to the next size , and visa versa if you are wounding a lot , but give the gun plenty of use first and I think you will then be happy with whatever choke is in the gun.

Grab a 1/4 and a 1/2 off the net. They are easy to source (have a lanber myself). Pop the 1/4 in the bottom barrel and the half in the top.

Fire the bottom barrel first.

All sorted for a few quid and the clays won't complain not will the pigeons at 20 yards that aren't smashed to pieces.

When youve got used to it a bit play with the chokes some more. Personally I like open chokes but then I'm not digweed.

Hi

Sorry to confuse you more ☹️

Mostly the advice above is good however the main factor in choke choices is the pattern it creates from your gun cartridge combination

So best plan is to pattern test your choice of choke and see what you have at various distances

Anyway Just my thoughts

Happy new year to you

All the best

Of

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps it might be an idea to get some paper and pattern your gun at different ranges? Saying to use this or that choke is all very well, but what you want is a consistent and even pattern, and not all guns/ chokes behave the same. If you find one or other of your two chokes inconsistent, or over wide or tight, you'll then be in a position to know what it is you're looking for.

Just my tu'ppence worth...

• 1 month later...

Hallelujah!

I cant ever remember what chokes are in my pigeon gun, think its 3/4 and full.... But could be cyl and 1/4 all I know is that it kills pigeons just fine....

Hope this helps. :good:

Half and Half in my Perazzi for clays (main clay gun)

AYA no3. has 3/4 and full and is my main pigeon, rough shooting gun.

Cant remember what choke is even in my Auto-5, think its 3/4