Stupid or Not ?

Guerini Guy

Hi guys - a possible stupid question.

I have been asked to clear some Canadas off a specific field on one of my perms, and I am due to have a go in a couple of days time.

I do have half a dozen Greylag shell decoys but no Canadas. So by now you're probably guessing the potentially stupid question . . . . . . .

would Greylag decoys have ANY effect for drawing in Canada geese, or indeed even have the opposite effect?

Now I know the answer would apparently be obvious but . . . . . you never know, so I thought I would ask those with more experience in goose shooting.

Thanks in advance for your non-abusive response :rolleyes:

My goose experience is nil apart from negotiating my neighbours when I was a kid! But how about getting some black and white tape and pimping your decoys up!? The main body isn't far of, black neck and head with a white flash on the underside of the throat, or long black socks pulled over the decoys! Someone will say I'm goosing around but I'm never one to duck a question! Sorry I've been on the whiskey!

Hi guys - a possible stupid question.

I have been asked to clear some Canadas off a specific field on one of my perms, and I am due to have a go in a couple of days time.

I do have half a dozen Greylag shell decoys but no Canadas. So by now you're probably guessing the potentially stupid question . . . . . . .

would Greylag decoys have ANY effect for drawing in Canada geese, or indeed even have the opposite effect?

Now I know the answer would apparently be obvious but . . . . . you never know, so I thought I would ask those with more experience in goose shooting.

Thanks in advance for your non-abusive response :rolleyes:

Won't put them off at all Provided you place them in the Right spot and get the wind direction right.

So my advice get up before light watch in and where they come from If you can't hide where there feeding then get under the flight line ( my preferred tactics ) Big Birds let them come in get up front of the Long Neck and enjoy Don't forget Non Toxic unless in Scotland.

Definitely put them out, here on the broads we have hundreds of both Grey's and Canada's, they are always mixing together anywhere where there is some easy feed available, Try to put yourself under the approach path so they come in overhead or pass near enough to get a shot off,

Here on the marshes I like to get the pink decoys out about 50 yards upwind, the skein's will come in down wind and turn to line up on the decoys when they hear the caller, from then on its just waiting for the optimum moment as they pass by heading for the decoys, to stick your head up and let rip.

If its a regular feeding place you shouldn't have to wait long ,

Great idea from Wilksy 11, try some black and white tape just under the chins, should fool them , best of luck. :yes::yes: