33 replies to this topic

#21 Bobba

Bobba
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Joined 26-August 09

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

............,so like i said what happens if that bird flys say 120/130 yards across a field and then drops into the road

We all run that risk? I once received a piccie on my mobile from the farmer when a shot pigeon dropped in to his yard well away from where I was sitting.
But that is not the point of the discussion which was problems of sitting in a hedge with a road immediately behind that hedge not 100's of yds away.

#22 kyska

kyska
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5917 posts
  • Joined 09-November 09

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

If a pigeon flies on for a few hundred yards, it is most certainly not dead in the air.

Quite, perforated air sacs

#23 cooooper1

cooooper1
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Joined 24-December 12

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

If a pigeon flies on for a few hundred yards, it is most certainly not dead in the air.

so you`ve never hit pigeon/crow and watch that bird fly on for a distance before dropping,  the word FLIES on doesn`t mean it`s flapping it`s wings it`s taken a lung shot or head shot where the birds dead or die in and just floats on the wing before coming to ground,  last summer i shot a pigeon knew i hit him hard and watched him float across a 130 plus yards long field with out flapping his wings one before falling straight into a garden behind me, my point being not all birds drop where shoot

Edited by cooooper1, 02 January 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#24 motty

motty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts
  • Joined 12-July 05

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

If a pigeon is gliding, it isn't dead.

#25 6.5x55SE

6.5x55SE
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Joined 23-April 10

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

If a pigeon is gliding, it isn't dead.

Come on Motty they are talking about the famous " Zombie Pigeon "

#26 wandringstar

wandringstar
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts
  • Joined 27-December 16

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

you can shoot a min of 15 yards from a road, in theory you can actually shoot on someones boundary, away from their property, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I had a situation a few years ago, when someone approached me and made out they were off duty police telling me that I had to be a minimum of 50 yards from the road, I argued it for a bit, but gave up, as although I was in the right regarding legality, I could see they were agitated so decided to give it a wide berth.

sometimes its best just to get miles away from any possible conflict if you can. :good:

#27 motty

motty
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6491 posts
  • Joined 12-July 05

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

You can legally shoot next to a road.

#28 shotgun eddy

shotgun eddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Joined 06-July 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

What do u guys think the sensible distance is to shoot facing away from someones house with a hushpiwer 410, all comments welcome

#29 TIGHTCHOKE

TIGHTCHOKE
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10849 posts
  • Joined 26-February 09

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

you can shoot a min of 15 yards from a road, in theory you can actually shoot on someones boundary, away from their property, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I had a situation a few years ago, when someone approached me and made out they were off duty police telling me that I had to be a minimum of 50 yards from the road, I argued it for a bit, but gave up, as although I was in the right regarding legality, I could see they were agitated so decided to give it a wide berth.

sometimes its best just to get miles away from any possible conflict if you can. :good:

Did you ask to see their warrant card?

#30 marsh man

marsh man
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

We could argue this thread out till the cows come home , its really down to common sense and avoiding any conflict with anyone who it might annoy or endanger , or are you prepared to risk your S G C because according to the law you are in the right . 

#31 Stonepark

Stonepark
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Joined 20-August 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

What do u guys think the sensible distance is to shoot facing away from someones house with a hushpiwer 410, all comments welcome

If they are not in, I would sit outside the boundary if best spot,

if in the house, 50 yards if they are warned, 100 yards if not.

#32 shotgun eddy

shotgun eddy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Joined 06-July 15

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

I go for a 100 yards just in case, like I mentioned I'm using 410 hushpower and there house is sat back a good 20 from the boundary, its the only spot available under a very strong flightline on to some rape, fingers crossed for tommorow, thanks for all comments

#33 ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Joined 20-December 09

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

Just be good neighbours keep a good lookout around you and don't scare people sunday walking along the other side of the fence, cars more likely to crash watching a person with a gun rather than having a bird fall on them

#34 wandringstar

wandringstar
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1105 posts
  • Joined 27-December 16

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Did you ask to see their warrant card?

no, I dident ask, I was 99 per cent certain they were impersonating, because of their total lack of knowledge, I was fairly new to the permission, like everybody else, you try not to let things get silly, it was easy for me to move somewhere else and diffuse it totally, at the end of the day, a shotgun is bloody loud when you are near someones property, legal or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users