Help with Shotgun dilemma..

triscrx

Plan was to view a Beretta Silver Pigeon tomorrow morning with a view to getting an OU 12G for clays and the odd drive with my brother when I visit him.

Today I headed to the local clay ground with my brother in law with my current Beretta AL390 that I have only ever fired half a dozen carts through rough shooting (Not my usual option as Id prefer to shoot an OU if I can when on the clays) But long story short I shot my best day of clays ever! 94-120 which for me was very consistent.

Trouble I now have is the group I was shooting with all agreed as we navigated the grounds moving between stances that I should keep it. In my head I was convinced myself a move to an OU was the right thing to do but I even impressed myself today, I know you have good and bad days but now I feel like I should just stick to the Semi Auto as it appears I can shoot well with it. If I was to part with the best part of £2K tomorrow on the OU and find I cant hit the clays it will be quite frustrating.

Silver Pigeon I have seen is a nice one with Gamescene engraving and a Deluxe stock so quite a nice one that I feel will hold value longer term. I dont shoot very often but intend to start getting out more in 2017. are there any reasons I should consider before deciding to stick SA or is a move to the OU worth it longer term for another reason?

Single choke today did alright and even had me considering choking any future OU with the same chokes for consistency when gauging what lead to allow etc.

Please help : (

Edited by triscrx

The devil in my head agrees but as I grow older I find myself having to justify more reasons why before jumping into stuff like this especially when there is a number of house jobs awaiting my attention.

I have several guns. They make me smile. I enjoy shooting each and everyone because they are different. If it makes you happy, it's worth doing.

Have both, enjoy both. You won't regret it.

Stick with your gut feeling mate..

Many people have bought Siler Pigeon guns,and become very disappointed with them for some reason.

I suppose there are people who think they are the bees knees,Horses for Courses..

Stick with what you are pleased with,and your very good scores..

You may only disappoint yourself..B O L.

I see Duckandswings point, it is nice to have a selection of particular tools for certain jobs. As an Engineer I can see this justification and appreciate that view. The shoot I was recently invited to did not allow Semi Autos so I had to borrow the brother in laws OU for the day which is what made me think about buying another one.

I will see how it feels tomorrow and see how I go I have a work bonus coming that will pay for the OU for me which is making the decision possible but I dont want to get it just for it to gather dust and have the other half kicking my *** for the house jobs that I cant afford. I will see how it goes.

Appreciate the feedback.

I know chokes are another subject all together but I found the simplicity of having just the single 1/2 Choke today refreshing rather than having to consider if the top or bottom barrel was better first. Can anyone here share this feeling? I often think many people overthink the choke and lead etc and it complicates the shooting more than is required. In my head at least having both barrels choked the same offers a bar of consistency when coming up on aim that should help when considering lead and shot spread. At no point today did I think the 1/2 choke was not suited to a shot, you could argue the clays I missed don't tally but overall the hit ratio was better than I expected with a single choke.

What's the urgent need to chop out the auto. Carry on with the auto and see how you go with it. There's always loads of sp's on guntrader ect every week. I just don't see this thing about shoots not allowing auto's. The days of five shots is past. It's all in the mind. Half choke is very good and if you center the pattern on the target then it don't matter what choke you use. Have faith.

Edited by fortune

I don't see the issue with Semi Autos at a drive, I imagine the main reason is safety although the number of times I saw discipline slip I wouldn't say break barrels were any safer. I only chamber 2 cartridges when shooting clays so there is no advantage cartridge wise, some would even say it may be a disadvantage with a single choke.

There is no rush to trade the SA, I will keep the SA now I think. My urgency for the Silver Pigeon I have seen is the particulars of this one with the upgrade stock and game engraving. IMO the new Silver pigeons and Beretta range are not as well made. I bought a Perennia III in 2010 and was very disappointed to find out that the stock was lazered to get the grain finish! Completely ruined that for me and it was returned to GMK following staining when taken out in the rain! Since then more recent Beretta woodwork I have viewed with suspicion.

That is why this particular Silver Pigeon is calling me I think, the workmanship and stock quality will satisfy the itch I have for one still. I hope...

I don't see the issue with Semi Autos at a drive, I imagine the main reason is safety although the number of times I saw discipline slip I wouldn't say break barrels were any safer. I only chamber 2 cartridges when shooting clays so there is no advantage cartridge wise, some would even say it may be a disadvantage with a single choke.

There is no rush to trade the SA, I will keep the SA now I think. My urgency for the Silver Pigeon I have seen is the particulars of this one with the upgrade stock and game engraving. IMO the new Silver pigeons and Beretta range are not as well made. I bought a Perennia III in 2010 and was very disappointed to find out that the stock was lazered to get the grain finish! Completely ruined that for me and it was returned to GMK following staining when taken out in the rain! Since then more recent Beretta woodwork I have viewed with suspicion.

That is why this particular Silver Pigeon is calling me I think, the workmanship and stock quality will satisfy the itch I have for one still. I hope...

The whole SP range is a bit suspect in all sorts of ways like the wood issue. One of the son in laws has a sp that he put a rubber stock boot thingy on that changed the colour of the stock to almost black. He couldn't get the colour back so he had to strip the stock off of it along with the forend, and remove the varnish off and oil the wood. The older Berretta guns were a much better made and generally all round better gun than the sp's are. Another thing to consider is the situation where some people shoot any gun and some can't get on with either Browning or Berretta. I have a beautiful grade 5 Browning that 2of the son in laws can't shoot with but both get on with the Berretta so bear that in mind. This is quite common so see if you can try before you buy. Edited by fortune

You need to ask yourself what do I really need a £2k+ shotgun for if you doubt that you can afford that outlay if there other household projects that need your attention.

Will an expensive shotgun help you hit clays any better than a lesser costing one, is it to think you look the part when out on the clay ground., and if you must have a O/U for driven shooting then look for a second hand one or even go for a new one for under £600. IMO its the man behind the trigger that should be looked at and not all the expensive kit that he has.

I own 2 shotguns and the combined cost when new was just over £1100. I have a Bakail SA which I use mostly for the foreshore and some pigeon & crow bashing and a Franchi O/U which I have used for clays, foreshore shooting, pigeons, duck and driven & walked up shooting and will continue to use it.

The whole SP range is a bit suspect in all sorts of ways like the wood issue. One of the son in laws has a sp that he put a rubber stock boot thingy on that changed the colour of the stock to almost black. He couldn't get the colour back so he had to strip the stock off of it along with the forend, and remove the varnish off and oil the wood. The older Berretta guns were a much better made and generally all round better gun than the sp's are. Another thing to consider is the situation where some people shoot any gun and some can't get on with either Browning or Berretta. I have a beautiful grade 5 Browning that 2of the son in laws can't shoot with but both get on with the Berretta so bear that in mind. This is quite common so see if you can try before you buy.

You get what you pay for. Cheaper brownings and berrettas won't have great wood. Old berretta were comparratively more expensive than the entry level silver pigeons of today.

Picked up the second hand Silver Pigeon I Deluxe today. Its 2 years old and has an adjustable comb and very nice Game scene engraving. Much better for the pocket at £1510 after some haggling with a case and set of extended chokes.

Plan to keep the semi auto for rough shooting and use the OU for the clay shoots and days out. Thankyou for the comments guys its much appreciated jumped in and got this one as I had a work bonus and if I didn't get it now I doubt I would be able to afford one once it was spent elsewhere. Wife is happy so its a result.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got my fao visit on Monday so went to shoulder a few guns at my local dealer. Actually had my heart set on a Silver pigeon as a few of my mates said they are good. So tried that first and thought feels alright but there was something about it that didn't feel right. Then tried a Browning 525 and thought that feels a bit better. Then picked up a 725 and instantly that was it for me felt perfect. So all going well on Monday and once my cert comes through I'll be picking up a 725 sporter.

Hi triscx good look with the silver pigeon hope you shoot well with it . Wot age is your al390 I've got one it shoots very nice but don't know what age it is cheers . H

I have a a390. The date stamp shows BD which I believe is 1994.

I think the AL390 was a later model.

The AL391 was intraduced in 1999 so I guess your gun will be somewhere inbetween. The proof date stamp will tell you the actual year.

I don't know what the difference between the A390 and AL390 is but I can say that the A390 is a very nice gun to shoot.

Edited by Paul1440

I bought a older Silver Pigeon grade 4 black with gold birds mainly for my son to use and myself as and when I fancy using it. The older used berettas offer good value for money and most have decent wood on them. Some lads at my local club have Silver Pigeon Classics with very nice wood but they paid s hefty premium for it.