Chapuis C 35 Round Design

wymberley

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you found it an inert lump of metal with nice wood. I take it you must be used to SxS guns more than over ad unders.

Whereas I take your point, no, I use both. What I believe to be the case is that I took the design out of its comfort zone. I can well imagine that with 30+" barrels and 36+grams in its 3" chambers, it would be perfect. As it was, it felt like a short barreled canon when in a pigeon hide. I've just had temporary need of a Cheap OU with some weight and my RFD found me an old Laurona in superb nick - 28" barrels, double triggers, fixed chokes, ejectors, 3" chambers and which weighs a ton. It seems to know where I'm going to point it and comes up as light as a butterfly in a breeze. Different kettle of fish altogether. So much so that temporary may be out of the window and I'm having the chokes opened out.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and this is simply an order confirmation exercise, but I can't help the feeling in my water that this may not end well:

Dear Sir ,
Many thanks for your interest on a new Chapuis 12 bore C35. We can have one made for you with your stock length , you will be able to choose your game scenes for the sides of the action and the bottom. It will take about 3 months to have one made and delivered . The price will be £ 2850.00 incl Vat
In the following specifications:
C35 Classic
Straight hand
Auto safety
Double triggers
26 “ barrels. Fix chokes ¼-3/4
If you need further informations to discuss about the game scenes and other details concerning that model do not hesitate to contact us

Many thanks for your help.
Consequently, please accept this as an order for the gun and specifications as previously detailed. With regard to the wood, I prefer a darker colour with, if possible, some 'movement' in the grain - similar perhaps the the one on your web site. I'm happy to be guided by your good self and go for the woodcock engraving on the floor plate and if possible the partridges on one side and ducks on the other.
Please advise with any regard to a deposit.
With best wishes - and particularly for the New Year,

Dear sir,
First of all happy new year ! May you confirm that you would like to place an order for a new O/U Chapuis Classic and to list exactly what you would like for that gun please so we can be sure we get everything right. Afterward I can send you by email a quotation.
With my formal quotation I will ad my bank account details . We will need a 50% deposit before placing order , balance to be paid on delivery.

As the specifications listed below remain as previously detailed, I can confirm that I wish to place an order provided that your quotation already given is not exceeded.
Chapuis C 35 Classic 12 Bore Shotgun.
26" barrels with 1/4 by 3/4 fixed chokes and ventilated rib.
Double triggers with automatic safety catch.
Straight hand 15" stock.
Engraving, woodcock on the bottom and partridges and duck on either side.
With regard to the wood, as mentioned previously, as is possible I would prefer something darker with some 'movement' in the grain while remaining within budget.
Please rest assured that if all is well, I will forward the deposit as soon as is possible after receipt of your quotation. Also, when it becomes necessary I will forward the details of the RFD to whom it should be delivered.
Fingers crossed!

Have you spoken to him on the phone ?

As it happens, yes, but only to a staff member to ask if they'd received my order as I'd heard nothing back - even then, I had to ask him a couple of times to repeat his answer. What I can't show you is my first response which was under the 'contact us' bit on their web site, where I explained that because of my hearing impediment I had omitted my phone number in my contact detailed being pretty much useless on it.

Surely with the outlay involved it would be advantageous to make an appointment and to meet Mr Stephen.

Hopefully, this will all turn out well, but why on earth would he or I need to drive 400 miles to negotiate what on the face of it should be a perfectly straightforward transaction?

Edited by wymberley

I am probably being stupid but what is the problem?

Ahh just seen you want a sbs and they've said o/u?

The sbs/ou comment on my part was light hearted.

However, I'm delighted to say that I WAS WRONG and all is well. I have received a formal headed quotation of a standard which reflects that it would be impossible to better. I had read some reviews and two were not good. However, as one was a particularly vindictive personal attack, they were on the internet, contradicted others and also were different from my experiences with other emails that had been exchanged, I decided to ignore them as witnessed by me placing the order. But, I have to acknowledge that the nasty little seed of doubt had been sown and I couldn't entirely dismiss it. Consequently, I was wondering if the new quoted price would be above the original which was used as bait. WRONG. Therefore, it was my pleasure to confirm my order and have already transferred the deposit as requested.

I have to say it looks very interesting; I was pondering getting a Guerini Ellipse (game) soonish, but the Chapuis seems to have more 'custom' options while looking pretty much the same action anyway. I wonder in fact at the similarities! The Zoli also looks exactly the same! Are they just 'customising/assembling' actions/barrels made from a 'generic' factory? I wonder...

I'd rather like the C40 model -- Has anyone tried contacting Chapuis in france, or does one has to use the importer? I'm asking because *I* am french, so cutting the middleman sort of makes sense...

Well I emailed the french office. Had to brush up my french, after 18 years here, it's a lot easier to write english then french these days!

There is an old field sports Britain episode where Roy? Goes to the factory to order a double rifle or collect one I forget but looked like a nice e letiemce and well worth a cheap flight over to order/collect in person

Video here https://youtu.be/D5KUwYTFNt8

Edited by HDAV

Not too fussed about this as my order was placed immediately after receiving the formal quote. However, just got around to downloading the quote for future reference and finally spotted the period of validity. I don't know about these things, but at 10 days, this strikes me that someone might just know or suspect something that I'm not aware of - thinking imminent price rise possibly?

Just in case anyone is seriously interested:

Regarding your question, we have 4 different mechanization lines for our standard Stock:
1. Standard French Type
For Single trigger (Add 10mm to the LOP for a double trigger)
1.1 Short -
Drop at Comb 40 1,57 inches
Drop at heel 62 2,44 inches
LOP at Center 380 15 inches
1.2 Long -
Drop at Comb 40 1,57 inches
Drop at heel 62 2,44 inches
LOP at Center 410 16,2 inches
1. Standard UK Type
For Single trigger (Add 10mm to the LOP for a double trigger)
1.1 Short -
Drop at Comb 35 1,37 inches
Drop at heel 53 2,1 inches
LOP at Center 380 15 inches
1.2 Long -
Drop at Comb 35 1,37 inches
Drop at heel 53 2,1 inches
LOP at Center 410 15 inches
For all of them the Cast Off is around 4 mm except for the left handed stock
EDIT: Think it's safe to say that there's a misprint in the final LOP measurement - 15 should be 16.2?
Edited by wymberley