Chapuis C 35 Round Design

wymberley

Had a very nice email exchange in french with Chapuis -- they confirmed they don't sell direct for export unfortunately. They said they don't use importers tho, only real gun shops that are in direct contact with them.

If anyone had any question I'd be quite happy to translate & ask directly :-)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a very nice email exchange in french with Chapuis -- they confirmed they don't sell direct for export unfortunately. They said they don't use importers tho, only real gun shops that are in direct contact with them.

If anyone had any question I'd be quite happy to translate & ask directly :-)

Their English is pretty damned good - see above. :good: I figured that there was nothing I could do about it anyway as I hadn't ordered a bespoke stock which carries a surcharge for this model so I very nearly didn't inquire what their standard measurements were. However, to hell with it, I did and got the above response. I would have got the English 1.1 as a matter of course. But the French version is as near as damn it the same as all my other guns. As this is also a 'standard, I thought I'd ask :yes::lol::good:

Yeah we french have extra long arms, so we can scratch our toes without having to bend that much (notoriously dangerous). The english have webbed feet as a local adaptation to the weather, so they don't /need/ to scratch their toes.

(I seriously hope everyone reading realizes it's a joke, otherwise I'm in serious trouble here)

Yeah we french have extra long arms, so we can scratch our toes without having to bend that much (notoriously dangerous). The English have webbed feet as a local adaptation to the weather, so they don't /need/ to scratch their toes.

(I seriously hope everyone reading realizes it's a joke, otherwise I'm in serious trouble here)

Only in certain areas!

Yeah we french have extra long arms, so we can scratch our toes without having to bend that much (notoriously dangerous). The english have webbed feet as a local adaptation to the weather, so they don't /need/ to scratch their toes.

As we stood upright earlier than the French our evolution development is more advanced than that nationality. This is witnessed by the events in Hartlepool early in the 19th century.

(I plead the same disclaimer)

Just for info' as there was some interest in these, I've had it confirmed that my order with the request for the short version French stock has proved acceptable and is being made to that standard. Delivery forecast is end April.

I have to say that if the attitude of the Chapuis Sales Export Manager prevails throughout the company, I think I'm in for a treat.

• 4 months later...

In view of a sensible Post by grrclark elsewhere, I refuse to end this on a sour note so let's get this out of the way. There is a dealer based in Harlington, Beds who either doesn't care, whose business acumen is a flat line or, as indicated to me, is extremely busy. He will in all probability not answer your e-mails and/or questions and be abrupt on the 'phone. Even though given the necessary information with which to do so in plenty of time, he will leave one simple but necessary task until just in time which as we all know often means just too late. Consequently, unless he has precisely what you want in stock and he's on your doorstep, it might prove advantageous to both you and him if you were to lighten his burden by shopping elsewhere. I can only speak as I find.

As it happens, this taken from the Post above proved to be the case: I have to say that if the attitude of the Chapuis Sales Export Manager prevails throughout the company, I think I'm in for a treat.

When there's a problem and it's down to you to solve it, there's only one possible course of action - particularly if there's a hefty chunk of one's hard come by dosh at risk - and that after due consideration is to make a decision based on what you think is right and act on it. On the door to our office in my last RAF job was a sign which read, "we do precision guesswork". This seemed appropriate in this case. So I ordered the gun which I finally picked up earlier today. Not having one locally to look at, I had to rely on as many reviews as I could find. We all know the problem here, so I glossed over the flowery euphoric prose and concentrated on the nitty gritty warts and all.

Now that I've got it, there's no point in me writing much - except to have a look at the warts - as, as it happens, this review sums up what I've found to be the case:

http://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/shotguns/over-and-under-shotgun/chapuis-armes-c35-super-orion

So, without further ado, yer 'tis:

(With thanks to Mel and Lin; this is what your slips have been waiting for.)

001_zps03ud2rxi.jpg

004_zps7axl0dqw.jpg

I was told that the woodcock on the floor plate looked nice. No argument from me.

006_zpsclkjprl2.jpg

The warts.

The balance. The guy in the review was right about the shorter barrels. As near as makes do difference the balance is identical to that of my AYA which I'm used to. The weight is the same to within 1/4 oz, this one the 'heavier' at 6lb 8&3/4oz.

The stock. I can't understand the measurements on the review. Mine are exactly to specification and the gun fits like a glove. I asked for dark wood with some 'movement' which is precisely what I got.

I was critical about the EELL - not the gun itself, but it wasn't what I was looking for. This one has it nailed on all counts. A light fast handling hide/game gun.

Coming back to the precision guesswork, I have the distinct impression that if I can't shoot this then there's only one person to blame.

Suffice to say, I'm delighted.

That is a most lovely gun indeed. I hope that the recent memory of poor customer service is quickly consigned to the dim and distant, I suspect it will be with the first memorable kill.

"Movement in the wood" seems a perfect description of that figuring, it is lovely.

In view of a sensible Post by grrclark elsewhere, I refuse to end this on a sour note so let's get this out of the way. There is a dealer based in Harlington, Beds who either doesn't care, whose business acumen is a flat line or, as indicated to me, is extremely busy. He will in all probability not answer your e-mails and/or questions and be abrupt on the 'phone. Even though given the necessary information with which to do so in plenty of time, he will leave one simple but necessary task until just in time which as we all know often means just too late. Consequently, unless he has precisely what you want in stock and he's on your doorstep, it might prove advantageous to both you and him if you were to lighten his burden by shopping elsewhere. I can only speak as I find.

As it happens, this taken from the Post above proved to be the case: I have to say that if the attitude of the Chapuis Sales Export Manager prevails throughout the company, I think I'm in for a treat.

When there's a problem and it's down to you to solve it, there's only one possible course of action - particularly if there's a hefty chunk of one's hard come by dosh at risk - and that after due consideration is to make a decision based on what you think is right and act on it. On the door to our office in my last RAF job was a sign which read, "we do precision guesswork". This seemed appropriate in this case. So I ordered the gun which I finally picked up earlier today. Not having one locally to look at, I had to rely on as many reviews as I could find. We all know the problem here, so I glossed over the flowery euphoric prose and concentrated on the nitty gritty warts and all.

Now that I've got it, there's no point in me writing much - except to have a look at the warts - as, as it happens, this review sums up what I've found to be the case:

http://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/shotguns/over-and-under-shotgun/chapuis-armes-c35-super-orion

So, without further ado, yer 'tis:

(With thanks to Mel and Lin; this is what your slips have been waiting for.)

001_zps03ud2rxi.jpg

004_zps7axl0dqw.jpg

I was told that the woodcock on the floor plate looked nice. No argument from me.

006_zpsclkjprl2.jpg

The warts.

The balance. The guy in the review was right about the shorter barrels. As near as makes do difference the balance is identical to that of my AYA which I'm used to. The weight is the same to within 1/4 oz, this one the 'heavier' at 6lb 8&3/4oz.

The stock. I can't understand the measurements on the review. Mine are exactly to specification and the gun fits like a glove. I asked for dark wood with some 'movement' which is precisely what I got.

I was critical about the EELL - not the gun itself, but it wasn't what I was looking for. This one has it nailed on all counts. A light fast handling hide/game gun.

Coming back to the precision guesswork, I have the distinct impression that if I can't shoot this then there's only one person to blame.

Suffice to say, I'm delighted.

now thats pretty ! , i know it may not have seemed like it at the time , but it was definitely worth the wait. well done on a very classy looking gun. :good:

• 7 months later...

It certainly appears to be well made. It might look as described but in real terms it's nothing like the makes mentioned. I had a EELL custom made to the identical spec' but didn't like it at all. This one is exactly what I had in mind when I ordered the Beretta. If they were swords, then the Beretta would have been a cutlass whereas this is a rapier and ideally suited to walked up game or hide use.