Which calibre?

Sou'Wester

Gents, I know similar threads are running but I was after some of the PW wisdom. Just this second sold my .17hmr, I won't go into th reasons why (think they're fairly obvious). My question is what shall I replace it with?

Currently have a 22lr (for bunnies/vermin) and a .243 for foxes/small deer. I will be putting in a variation shortly for a .308 for larger deer/boar but I want something to replace the .17hmr with. This will probably become my go to rifle for nighttime sessions so something that I can be confident will put down fox out to 150m but won't destroy rabbits if the round is placed correctly.

I was thinking .204 ruger but I'm absolutely open minded if people have suggestions, 22 hornet maybe? Or anything else I should consider and why? I don't currently reload but would consider in the future. Cheers everyone

I'm thinking I might be left with the same issues with a 17cf as the hmr, teeny tiny bore, teeny pill (headshot only on fox and wind effected?) I don't know a great deal about the 22 hornet or 204 really so I'd be grateful for further knowledge? Certainly my RFD said 22 hornet popularity is going back up in conjunction with his inability to source 17hmr Ammo (although I just gave him 600)

Regardless of which ever cf rifle you go for you must reload or be prepared to spend an awful lot on ammunition assuming you have a fair rew rabbits to shoot. I have a 22 hornet and reload for it, more expensive than an hmr but also more consistent in my case.

Edited by Luckyshot

I chopped my .17HMR in for a .17 Hornet and so far no regrets at all. However I will be reloading for it as soon as I have generated some brass a few people on here have got the cost down to about 40p per round if reloaded with the cheaper bullets.

Much more consistent than my HMR and certainly fox capable as its carrying three times the energy of the HMR or a lot more if you go .17 Remington.

I'm wanting to put in a variation for a 222 as a dedicated nv centre fire. I got an inkling for a 204 but I think factory ammo, rifle availability and the fact that for a long time the 222 held a lot of the records swayed me back towards the 222. I thought about a 223 but I expect the feo would say that's too close to the 243.

I'm wanting to put in a variation for a 222 as a dedicated nv centre fire. I got an inkling for a 204 but I think factory ammo, rifle availability and the fact that for a long time the 222 held a lot of the records swayed me back towards the 222. I thought about a 223 but I expect the feo would say that's too close to the 243.

the .222 and .223 are only a gnat's whisker between the 2 out in the field you wouldn't notice the difference,

colin

Gents, I know similar threads are running but I was after some of the PW wisdom. Just this second sold my .17hmr, I won't go into th reasons why (think they're fairly obvious). My question is what shall I replace it with?

Currently have a 22lr (for bunnies/vermin) and a .243 for foxes/small deer. I will be putting in a variation shortly for a .308 for larger deer/boar but I want something to replace the .17hmr with. This will probably become my go to rifle for nighttime sessions so something that I can be confident will put down fox out to 150m but won't destroy rabbits if the round is placed correctly.

I was thinking .204 ruger but I'm absolutely open minded if people have suggestions, 22 hornet maybe? Or anything else I should consider and why? I don't currently reload but would consider in the future. Cheers everyone

i just swapped my 17hmr for a 204 ruger wish i did it age's ago awsome round and lazer flat shooting with the 32gr pills

colin

Gents, thanks for all the suggestions and advice so far very much appreciated! Wymberley, unfortunately there is no large deer or boar where I live either however I will have the opportunity regularly in the not too distant future. It is a very kind offer but I'm not sure you'd really like me to "poop" a few through yours😉

Regarding the suggestions so far I will reload in the future (I promise) so unless there is anything particularly idiosyncratic about reloading any of the mentioned calibres I can disregard that for now. 222? probably not based on already owning a .243, therefore any advances on 17 hornet, 22 hornet or 204 ruger and would anybody like to suggest pros/cons?

Sorry for the questions, I've chopped and changed in the past and it's a pain in the proverbial so I want this variation to be right and keep it!

So, based on the suggestions so far I was snooping around the tinterweb. There appears to be a greater availability of rifles, factory ammo, reloading bits for the 204 than the other two suggestions so I am currently erring towards that. Feel free to dissuade me!

I figure as I got fairly rubbish Christmas presents I may well buy myself a Lee anniversary kit and a book? And see how I go. Regarding reloading would I be right in thinking that it is a more difficult process with the 17 hornet?

Thanks again for your time gents.

So, based on the suggestions so far I was snooping around the tinterweb. There appears to be a greater availability of rifles, factory ammo, reloading bits for the 204 than the other two suggestions so I am currently erring towards that. Feel free to dissuade me!

I figure as I got fairly rubbish Christmas presents I may well buy myself a Lee anniversary kit and a book? And see how I go. Regarding reloading would I be right in thinking that it is a more difficult process with the 17 hornet?

Thanks again for your time gents.

No, unless you have fingers like sausages. :innocent:

I take your point Albert but my thought process is more along bullet weights. 22lr small vermin sub 70m, 243 90gn woodland stalking(smaller deer species), 308 150gn ish, larger deer and/or boar if the opportunity arises. I have and can use 58gn in the 243 which makes it deadly on foxes but ****** all use if I want anything left from a rabbit. I want to stick with one bullet weight for each calibre, that I'm familiar with for the purpose and I'd like something to fill the gap. 'Need' sometimes doesn't come into it😉

Something that will be fairly flat shooting, put foxes down with authority at 150m and leave something edible from a rabbit given correct bullet placement which I think brings me full circle lol

I take your point Albert but my thought process is more along bullet weights. 22lr small vermin sub 70m, 243 90gn woodland stalking(smaller deer species), 308 150gn ish, larger deer and/or boar if the opportunity arises. I have and can use 58gn in the 243 which makes it deadly on foxes but ****** all use if I want anything left from a rabbit. I want to stick with one bullet weight for each calibre, that I'm familiar with for the purpose and I'd like something to fill the gap. 'Need' sometimes doesn't come into it

Something that will be fairly flat shooting, put foxes down with authority at 150m and leave something edible from a rabbit given correct bullet placement which I think brings me full circle lol

Almost fits the .17 Hornet to a tee to be honest if you head shoot bunnies they are more than edible and 150yard foxes will be no issues. I have mine zeroed for 150 yard that gives me PBR of roughly 50 yards to 175 yards with about .05 mil holder when you get out to 250 yards as verified the other week at Garlands