O/U or semi auto

washerboy

He used a 20 on his lesson but yes I aren't forking out for one

There was lovely miroku for sale not too long ago, with a shorter stock one issue with shortened stocks is it upsets the balance so adding some lead can help.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/over-under/12-gauge/7000-161117184904157

Well worth a trip to see Dennis and co if possible

Another here https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/over-under/12-gauge/mk-38-grade-1-161031145329004

Edited by HDAV

I would strongly advise the 12 bore route especially as it will be used for clays. You don't mention his build but as you say he is 5ft 4" tall he is unlikely to get much taller but will fill out. A 20 bore is great in the field but will knock him about a lot more than any 12 bore after 100 clays. You don't need to spend lots just get him a Berreta , or Browning/Mirouku, 28" with an assortment of chokes, if he gets keen you can always upgrade at a later date. from Auntie.

No I don't. I just think for a learner it's harder to load and use than an o/u.

I agree also had issues with them being cart fussy jamming on the second cart etc

Changing carts solves this but not without much frustration on the first few stands, also never seen an instructor pick a semi and take a novice for a lesson with one ( I'm sure there are plenty who will come along and tell me that this rubbish)

For what its worth, i only shoot a semi auto. Just IMO an over and under is a better place to start, its easier for a new shooter to learn safe use of a gun. All guns are dangerous not just autos

Have to take issue here, NO gun is dangerous, it's the wazock behind it that may be dangerous.

As for a semi auto, nowt much wrong with them (just my opinion) but if our friend is shooting 21gm shells will it cycle them ok. That would be my worry.

If your using it for sporting targets use what ever. As long as it's used in a safe and mindful manner. Go for it and have some fun. If however it's Trap disappins then I would strongly recommend an OU. A semi auto will go down like a lead balloon with other shooters.

I agree also had issues with them being cart fussy jamming on the second cart etc

Changing carts solves this but not without much frustration on the first few stands, also never seen an instructor pick a semi and take a novice for a lesson with one ( I'm sure there are plenty who will come along and tell me that this rubbish)

I used to do taster sessions, the Groupon voucher scheme, nearly always used either a pump or a semi. Most of the time the total beginners are only firing one shot so jams aren't an issue.

Cartridge "fussyness" could be an issue but with a semi you can get away with using heavier loads than you would with an O&U so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. When I was doing the taster sessions, if I thought someone was up to shooting a pair I'd simply substitute one of my own loads for one of their 21gm cartridges.

My wife is a bit shorter than your son, but shoots a 14"1/4 stocked O/U; so don't rush buying the shortest stock you can get as it's not a given he needs such a short one, especially if he shot YOUR gun pretty well to start with!

On the other hand, the 21g are likely a good idea -- they won't cycle a semi-auto tho, I think.

My wife is a bit shorter than your son, but shoots a 14"1/4 stocked O/U; so don't rush buying the shortest stock you can get as it's not a given he needs such a short one, especially if he shot YOUR gun pretty well to start with!

On the other hand, the 21g are likely a good idea -- they won't cycle a semi-auto tho, I think.

Oh yes they will................................it's Panto time of year !

My gun is only 14.5" so I'm sure he will manage ok with it.

Will look for him one similar 👍🏼

Edited by washerboy