Pike Fishing

OJW

Back in the 70's a mate and I used to Pike fish (uninvited) at a private and well hidden lake down here in Hampshire. There was one particular spot which had fallen trees in the water for the beasts to hide under. We used home made lures made out of table spoons. Remove the handle, using the bowl only, drill a small hole in each end and fit a wire trace and a few treble hooks. These were loaded with either sprats or mackerel heads and used in the spinning mode. 9 times out of 10 first or second cast we were in. My mate got into a BIG boy on one occasion which he only got its head on the bank before it managed to flip and jump away. To think some of the local kids (boys and girls) used to skinny dip there too :hmm: My mate left us in 2000, knocked off his push bike in a RTA :sad1:

Edited by B25Modelman

• 4 weeks later...

I remember fishing for Roach as a kid on the local farmers pool with our feet in the water fishing in the shallows just past knee depth, pulling out loads of roach until a pike came whipping in rubbing the side of my feet and ankles, i could have had a medal for the fastest feet in the west