shooting pigeons on Submarine

sovietsub

Hello , we have a problem with Feral pigeons on our submarine which is moored in the middle of the river Medway in Kent , they had been nesting in the free flooding space between the main pressure hull and the outer hull for a while causing a lot of damage and we have just spent a lot of time blocking all access points which has cut them down a lot however they still flock and sit on the the outside clinging on to any ledge or shelter especially at roosting time and are making a real mess.

We have tried scaring them off but they are having none of it so and drowning is out as we can only submerge the submarine once more ;) so we have decided after obtaining permission from the harbourmaster the only way to deal with them now is to shoot them , having never fired an air rifle I have been looking at which entry level rifle we should go for ,ideally we will be shooting over a distance of 25-35 meters or if necessary we can get much closer there are some in the inner casing which we can get much closer to but it is a bit of an enclosed space so more awkward and may have to use a pistol ?

I have looked at "the rat catcher" or similar that claim to do the job but after reading some forums there are numerous opinions on good and bad with it not being powerful enough .

Some photos of the sub showing the bow from our workboat with some pigeons on top and another showing the inner casing space , more can be seen on the media of our twitter @sovietsub

Any tips and advice most welcome

Thanks

post-79082-0-65713700-1483116204_thumb.jpg

post-79082-0-65989900-1483116212_thumb.jpg

I'm from Strood and can get a few local guys together with air rifles if you need a hand, and the sub is moored 5 minutes from my house. would certainly be the strangest pest control location I have encountered!

basc insured like my shooting pal worzel!

Edited by belly47

i am at Medway Bridge Marina on Wednesday am, i could pop over with my air rifles and give you a few hours in the afternoon(FOC, i have BASC insurance etc)? As a keen wreck diver i would love to take a look around this. If so please PM me and i will give you my number. I use moderated (silenced) PCP air rife, although where you are positioned it would not make a lot of difference.

Edit: if you have been on the Medway for a good few years theres a good chance you knew my dad

Edited by silver pigeon69

• 1 month later...

When I saw this thread I thought it was a wind-up

Apparently not, but some of the advice is. The seasoned pest controllers will of course be aware of the fact that there is no exemption from the law, via a General License, to kill wild birds for the protection of property. Quote "You can’t use this licence to kill birds because they are damaging your property, such as your car or house, or if they’re a nuisance." If you look at ANY of the other GL's there is no provision to do this. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bird-licences

This ol' chestnut crops up time and time again. No doubt there will be a lot of 'I'll carry on' remarks but it's a good way to screw it up for the rest of us.

Apparently not, but some of the advice is. The seasoned pest controllers will of course be aware of the fact that there is no exemption from the law, via a General License, to kill wild birds for the protection of property. Quote "You can’t use this licence to kill birds because they are damaging your property, such as your car or house, or if they’re a nuisance." If you look at ANY of the other GL's there is no provision to do this. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/bird-licences

This ol' chestnut crops up time and time again. No doubt there will be a lot of 'I'll carry on' remarks but it's a good way to screw it up for the rest of us.

I think the OP did mention that they were FERAL pigeons. :good: to preserve public health or public safety should do it.

Edited by EMT

Hi EMT - point noted but even they are covered by the GL.

To shoot them the OP will have to demonstrate a public health risk - especially if the Harbour Authority are involved. They need to be able to defend why they are shooting them and what gives them exemption under the laws that say that every wild bird is protected. At the moment 'mess' doesn't cover it. All it takes is one vexatious complaint...............

Edit - I see your edit too now.

Edited by LeadWasp