Arise Sir Andy.

sako751sg

As much as I hate Andy Murray I am pleased to see him given such an award. Whilst I agree with the comments made above, I guess that society as a rule rewards for what people cannot do rather than for what people choose to do. Andy Murray has all the physical attributes to volunteer in a soup kitchen, with the best will in the world, the Samaritan could not play tennis to Andy Murrays level. C'est la vie (thats life)

It's such a remarkable British trait to make a particular effort in trying to find fault with anyone who achieves any level of success.

I do wonder at time how some came to be this way with an innate level of bitterness that they seem to derive such satisfaction from to the point they wish to share it with everyone else.

There are no doubt many flaws in the honours system, however it is what it is and in recognising Andy Murray for the unparalleled British success he has achieved is merited given the precedent of what has gone before. I think it would be better awarded at the end of a career, and I think he is on record as saying a similar thing, but all congratulations to him. A genuine Scottish and British success story.

I think it shows our country up for what it is when they give a Tennis player a Knighthood. Especially one who continually harps on about being Scottish not British and wants independence. Mo Farrah shouldn't get one either, they should be given out to the people who really deserve them. It's now a popular personality award and I think it stinks.

Congratulations to all those honoured for their achievements, whether for sports or their voluntary work. Honouring one person is an individual thing and it isn't a reason to hate them if you particular favourite is left off the list. Why "hate" anyway? Life's too short. All of these people have work d hard over many years and will have given up a lot to achieve/do what they do. The ones that stick in my throats are the political honours bestowed for ****licking and donations.

Years ago I worked for a firm we're Denis Thatcher was a sort of director/advisor. Th managing director was a very down-to-earth sort of fellow and they must have got talking about the awards and the managing director said to Dennis "it's all a load of rubbish". the people who are getting the awards. Dennis said to him "will you name me somebody that's worth one" and the managing director said I've got a bloke who's been working in the joinery department for over 50 years so low and behold this bloke got an OBE in the New Year's Honours List he said he didn't want it, and it was a load of rubbish. Things don't change much. You'd think that someone with a couple of grey cells would go through the list and comment as we have done and say what's that person getting an award for. Far too many lovies being awarded for make believe nonsense. What makes a two bit actor more worthy than the bin man or the nurse or surgeon? Still there are hundreds of nobodies that have been awarded and they don't get mentioned in this list of celebraties. The reason that so many people say what they do about A.M.is this anti Englishness eg >> we support anyone against the English! It sounds like traitors talk to me. I can quite understand how the Scott's were treated as such years ago. When's the next referendum? Perhaps there will be a proper border with controls like Hadrian's wall to keep all of the Rabbit C Nesbites over the other side.

Edited by fortune

Well another years gone by and still no sign of my Knighthood ,OBE , MBE . Must have a word with HRH !

That said It seems a that a lot of awards have gone to the usual round of people that have been well paid for doing the job of their choice or for spending our money .

I do not want you to think that I am against those who by their own efforts have archived goals most of only dream about being recognized .But there are a hell of a lot of people that have worked just as hard and often longer without recognition of any kind at all nor the huge financial gains made by sports men , pop singers and politicians .

Is it time that there should be some form of nomination process so ordinary men and women get some recognition for their efforts ? I could name several , mine not among them .

Stupid old bint at our local library got a gong for 25 years part time service - so looks like you can get one if you lack any semblance of ambition? Found out (in a card from his wife) that a friend of mine just passed away, aged 90 , he was a navigator in a Wellington bomber who lied about his age to join up in 1943, he was the sole survivor in a late night crash following a hydraulic failure and ,after suffering severe burns, was one of the first people to ever receive plastic surgery. He was signed off as unfit for further military duty due to his injuries but he kept reapplying for reenlistment until he was finally accepted and he served the rest of the war in the western desert. After the war he joined the police and worked his way up to inspector. IMHO it's people like him that deserve the gratitude and respect of our nation and not some **** that can hit a ball with a bat or some half wit that can announce the next act.

It's such a remarkable British trait to make a particular effort in trying to find fault with anyone who achieves any level of success.

I do wonder at time how some came to be this way with an innate level of bitterness that they seem to derive such satisfaction from to the point they wish to share it with everyone else.

There are no doubt many flaws in the honours system, however it is what it is and in recognising Andy Murray for the unparalleled British success he has achieved is merited given the precedent of what has gone before. I think it would be better awarded at the end of a career, and I think he is on record as saying a similar thing, but all congratulations to him. A genuine Scottish and British success story.

:good: I have no trouble at all people such as Murray being given them at the height of their careers because that's when they have the most energy to do the most good. The man has won Wimbledon TWICE and you guys are whinging ?! As for Mo Farah, he's regarded as a monumental Great the world over and he too deserves it.

There is a lot wrong with the honours system but it has nothing to do with sportspeople, the problem lies in people getting them for giving money to one party or another, for politicians getting them at the end of their careers simply for being (pointless) politicians, the super rich getting knighthoods because they managed to make more money than the next guy. :|

:good: I have no trouble at all people such as Murray being given them at the height of their careers because that's when they have the most energy to do the most good. The man has won Wimbledon TWICE and you guys are whinging ?! As for Mo Farah, he's regarded as a monumental Great the world over and he too deserves it.

There is a lot wrong with the honours system but it has nothing to do with sportspeople, the problem lies in people getting them for giving money to one party or another, for politicians getting them at the end of their careers simply for being (pointless) politicians, the super rich getting knighthoods because they managed to make more money than the next guy. :|

Is this another Canterbury tale?