Chicory management

Firstly happy new year to all may it be good for you.

This past year i put some chicory in mixed with canary grass, and some other seed, it did become swamped with weeds as there was no chemical treatment available due to the mix. However the grass & chicory have taken.

My question is will this need any attention this year as it mentions topping but as this is it's first growing year it only resembles a half grown sugar beet plant.

Any info appriciated.

This is only for a walk around shoot for a friend and myself, so perfection not 100% required but i do know the need for good habitat to draw/hold birds.

Regards Konnie.

Hi Kennett.

I made the mix up myself, from straights, so I could put extra in of what would be the main cover. It was drilled using a type of air drill that is used for paddocks, grassland.

It will get a good feed of fertiliser, once the farmer starts.

Only thing I wish was the land was broken down earlier, and had 2 passes with roundup.

Thanks for reply.

​Hi Mat, Happy new year, have you shot this seasons duck yet.

At the moment it will be left, as wasn't expecting anything this year, it's the size of half grown beet, it's on good land, but it's a new crop to me.

Might put some eutopia (spelling) strips through it with a garden rotorvator, as it will last 2 years. As said it's a half day walk round after the odd bird.

​Hi Mat, Happy new year, have you shot this seasons duck yet.

At the moment it will be left, as wasn't expecting anything this year, it's the size of half grown beet, it's on good land, but it's a new crop to me.

Might put some eutopia (spelling) strips through it with a garden rotorvator, as it will last 2 years. As said it's a half day walk round after the odd bird.

I've nearly not got enough fingers to count the duck!

I'm not quite sure what we're doing with the game cover on the farm this year, boss tried some wild game bird mix from kings but it was a waste of time. Maize grew ok but I may try persuade him into putting something different down! No idea how well it's shot when they've done those drives as I haven't been invited!

Ours wa like dandelion in appearance and size during the first winter, second winter it is over six foot tall and so thick it needed rides cutting along it to allow both birds and beaters in.

What did it over winter like, did it provide good enough cover to hold birds on it's own. Your a bit further north than myself so hoping it will provide cover.

Large Dandelion is correct description.

Wot spaceings did u use on ur air seeder? (Must admit i never knew u could select spacing on those types of seeder)

None, you are correct you cannot, worked on kg/acre ratio as they are quite accurate in that respect.

looks ok just not in uniform rows, this is what I was after as it's only for walked up pottering and don't want the birds to run through end to end ... that's MY plan, birds may prove otherwise.

Sometimes u can find it becomes so thick its completely impenetrable to birds.

Seen some early crops and were just so thick birds either ignored it or the few in it got pegged by dogs.

Think they now reccommend something like 2-3ft rows and it keep's getting wider every few years.

If the area is not too big u could either strim some rides to suit how u walk them up or even round upvrides in the future to make it more permanat when u have sussed it out a bit

Sometimes u can find it becomes so thick its completely impenetrable to birds.

Seen some early crops and were just so thick birds either ignored it or the few in it got pegged by dogs.

Think they now reccommend something like 2-3ft rows and it keep's getting wider every few years.

If the area is not too big u could either strim some rides to suit how u walk them up or even round upvrides in the future to make it more permanat when u have sussed it out a bit

Might strim some this year. once it gets going, then if all comes good roundup the strimmed bits.

Hi we put chicory on our shoot year 2015 it looks like a big dandylion without the flower this year it grew approx 5ft we only put in one acre but it is looking ok it is up on a hill so the storms have nocked it over but there is plenty of cover underneath it . The seed suplyer said it should last up to seven years being perennial

Nightmare stuff for beaters if no rides cut - encountered it last season for first time - but hold birds well and spaniels work well amongst hard stems. I had to ask one old beater to get out as I thought he was going to keel over fighting his way through this stuff early season. The keepers did cut a few paths next time round. Also I noticed full of little brown fellows - flocks of assorted stuff came out ahead of us so good for countryside?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Looks like i missed out too,

Thought it was cut down after frosts have finished and it starts to grow, as my first year crop only grew to dandelion size which was expected. Will have to look into it a bit more tanks for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my third year crop has pretty much failed after a doing very well last year. It is on a long term cover site which has a high weed seed burden, This year it has been out competed by wild grasses, dock and thistle, some of it is there but it is very stunted. The crop was topped in early march and it seemed like ages after that before I saw any fresh green growth, no fertilizer was added, and the weeds got ahead of the chicory and never looked back.