Testing out a ShotKam on High Pheasant at Powis Castle

Duffryn

HI Duffryn

Great video some nice shots there and some nice misses.. its always good to see a bird fold in the air but the cam shows what we are doing wrong, it will help improve your shooting going forwards for sure..

Good luck and I hope to see plenty more footage .. I have a collaboration of pigeons, ducks and geese to edit and upload :good:

Cheers

Terry

Sorry I just can't see how it can help improve your shooting.

For a kick off you never going to get two targets the same in the field so how can you learn from the mistakes made on one target and use the footage to help you shoot the next bird that will have a different presentation ???

The only practical use I could see for this is for shooting a set disaplin like skeet or DTL.

( even then it's still has limited educational value )

The clip has only shown that money is better spent on lessons with a good coach

For a kick off you never going to get two targets the same in the field so how can you learn from the mistakes made on one target and use the footage to help you shoot the next bird that will have a different presentation ???

The only practical use I could see for this is for shooting a set disaplin like skeet or DTL.

I think it's all very well an instructor saying that you are off line, but when you can actually see the error you are making it is easier to correct ( well it is for me at least). The ability for an instructor to see live footage on an ipad next and to play back footage there and then also helps. It's not always obvious to the instructor where you have gone wrong.

Great video and a very useful tool. What sort of cost are these? I think that I should invest in one to help my shooting

I had to get mine from the USA. They are not cheap about £600 all in.

Interesting.

I think it has limited value in improving shooting, but I think it has told me that you have difficulty in reading a target. When your were just about to fire, I had my finger on the laptop screen where I thought you should be aiming.

I also think that maybe you have a tendency to shoot high on a target.

I think I may have to get myself one of these cameras.

I doubt very much anyone looking at the playback there and then would have anything to offer. For instance he/ you won't have a clue what distance your shooting at as the cam lens has mag on it and with no back ground you will have no real perspective of the shot taken.

If your happy so be it.

I'm not trying to diss it honestly. Just my view

Atb

Hi Stevo,

Its interesting that you think being able to see where you miss wouldn't improve your shooting, Ive been shooting for decades and have taught and coached many shooters along the way and i think the Shotkam is fantastic as long as its used correctly.

The word being improve meaning to improve performance, whilst I agree no two shots are the same in the field it gives the user an idea of forward allowance (lead). the user will know what lead they gave for that distance of shot, they are then able to see how far they missed in front/behind or indeed if mounting was poor, as if the gun fits you correctly and your shot is high or low this is due to gun mount.

Its easy to say on a shot you was behind on that one or you stopped the swing etc but the shotkam shows how much behind you were or indeed the space that was covered by the clay when the gun had stopped swinging.

Having said the above unless you are the shooter or a coach this does not can be understood as you do not know the shot that was taken and range etc ..

But as many comments say above I thought you looked spot on with some of them shots meaning that they thought the forward allowance was correct only to see a miss ... so would they have all missed too ... probably, as we all miss but this shows by how much and if you take that on board and make an adjustment maybe you will not miss next time when a similar shot presents itself

After all all shots we take are estimations of range and forward allowance.. and the more you shoot and know ranges and allowances the more chance you have of hitting the target..

Regards

Terry

Interesting.

I think it has limited value in improving shooting, but I think it has told me that you have difficulty in reading a target. When your were just about to fire, I had my finger on the laptop screen where I thought you should be aiming.

I was clearly off line on most of the misses and yes there is a tendency to shoot high. I'm not adjusting the line for birds curling. It does look easy in slow motion. I've got the main video from the day uploading at the moment where I have edited the GoPro shot and the Shotkam shot straight afterwards to provide better context on speed and height.

I doubt very much anyone looking at the playback there and then would have anything to offer. For instance he/ you won't have a clue what distance your shooting at as the cam lens has mag on it and with no back ground you will have no real perspective of the shot taken.

If your happy so be it.

I'm not trying to diss it honestly. Just my view

Atb

No problem, if everyone had the same view, life would be pretty boring

Hi Motty

Please get one, I've seen some of your videos and you do some cracking shots with plenty of dropped birds.

it would be interesting to see what you think of it once you've used one, especially any misses where you thought you were on target.. it shocked me at some of my misses when I thought i was bang on.

ATB

Terry

Interesting.

Ok terry.

So from looking at the clip tell me the distance of the birds. Speed. Angle ( decent or assecent ) in other words. From the footage above in the clip. Where should he be placing his gun ?

It' will be nothing more than playing

Spot the ball .

There are imho just too many factors to reliably way up from a two dimensional clip.

Edited by stevo

Hi Stevo,

As I said only the shooter who is there can estimate where the gun should have been placed. The camera has the ability to show frame by frame meaning that you can see the shot pass the birds etc

If I had taken the shots and watched the footage I would make adjustments further forwards, behind,under or over etc without the footage you are just guessing...

Hi Stevo,

As I said only the shooter who is there can estimate where the gun should have been placed. The camera has the ability to show frame by frame meaning that you can see the shot pass the birds etc

If I had taken the shots and watched the footage I would make adjustments further forwards, behind,under or over etc without the footage you are just guessing...

I'm fully aware that maybe I'm just being a cynical old school shooter but. With ref to your comments above. I just don't think you would. Like I said what are the chances your going to shoot the next or come to think of it ANY other bird that presents its self in the same manor.

To the OP I'm not trying to be a knob over this. I'm just trying to have a grown up conversation.

Hi Stevo,

I understand your comments re shot presentation, however target speed and range do present themselves similar and if you can understand ranges and forwards allowances you stand more chance resulting in an "improved shot"

You have the right to your own opinion of course, maybe have a try of one then it may change your opinion..

ATB

Terry

Its a very interesting perspective and quite something to see, I look forward to the follow up video of the day.

I think its all a matter of, "different strokes for different folks" , I would be scared to use a Shotkam as a training aid, because it would probably induce me to "overthink" the issue.

I find with lots of "skills", fly casting , distance beach casting, shooting, etc., the more I try to analyse what I do, the more it goes wrong.

Conversely, the less I think about it, the better my performance.

Conversely, the less I think about it, the better my performance.

Absolutely, I try and think of my grandmother whilst shooting.

I think the OP can take from this is the high shots, fairly consistently high. Other than that I'd just enjoy watching my shooting after a day out. Fun bit of kit!