Prescription glasses

washerboy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had a pair made with orange lenses and brown lenses. There good but i wish i'd had the wrap round ones rather than the ordinary type as i can be distracted by light

and movement at the edges of the glasses. They cost me £250. I used prescription inserts for years and could not fault them but was told there not as good as proper glasses.

I would buy the insert type if i was buying glasses again.

I'm not convinced that Specsavers are the place. They're great for ordinary glasses, but do they have an understanding of the requirements of Sports Vision with regard to shooting?

Peripheral vision is important, and if you are clay shooting so is some form of eye protection.

I eventually went for contact lenses. Wherever I look the lens is perfect, because it's on my eyeball. With glasses you may well be looking out of the least efficient bit of the lens. And with ordinary glasses you may be restricted at the top of the frame, which can obstruct your vision just where it counts.

It may be an idea to check out glasses (frames) made specifically for shooting. Zeiss do good ones, so do others.

I'm not convinced that Specsavers are the place. They're great for ordinary glasses, but do they have an understanding of the requirements of Sports Vision with regard to shooting?

Peripheral vision is important, and if you are clay shooting so is some form of eye protection.

I eventually went for contact lenses. Wherever I look the lens is perfect, because it's on my eyeball. With glasses you may well be looking out of the least efficient bit of the lens. And with ordinary glasses you may be restricted at the top of the frame, which can obstruct your vision just where it counts.

It may be an idea to check out glasses (frames) made specifically for shooting. Zeiss do good ones, so do others.

This is what I have recently done. Its actually worked out quite well. I am on and off construction sites a fair bit and it was getting to be a real ball ache having glasses on top of glasses. I used to be able to get away without using my prescription glasses but now my eyes have deteriorated to a point where I really struggle if I needed to read plans etc.

Only recently taken up shooting but found my prescription glasses really knackered my peripheral vision. Made the swap to contact lenses and really glad I did. Helps with the shooting and with work. Non prescription safety specs are much more reasonably priced and if you get them free through work even better...

I have a large astigmatism in both eyes so my lenses are expensive - £40 for 30 odd pairs of dailys. But as I don't use them every day (I still prefer glasses) at my current usage rate they will last me 3 - 4 months. May switch to Monthlies though.

I need enlightening on this one, how do varefocals work on a dropping bird or one coming out from under your feet.?

from Auntie.

By moving your eye around within the lens as you would do say when your driving a car .you are looking out the windown at a distance .then you need to check your speed you use differant parts of the lens .the brain does it auto for you .hope that helps .my problem is i have only good site in my right eye and struggle with left crossers at times .happy new year to you

I still don't get this I thought the bottom part of a varefocal was for reading or near focus, so how on earth can you focus on something that could be 40 yards out and below your feet if you have the equavelant of reading glasses on.. I must be missing something here. A very Happy New Year to you too.

From Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

I still don't get this I thought the bottom part of a varefocal was for reading or near focus, so how on earth can you focus on something that could be 40 yards out and below your feet if you have the equavelant of reading glasses on.. I must be missing something here. A very Happy New Year to you too.

From Auntie.

Are you thinking of bi focal .vari is more a gradual differance as you look up the lens from close to distance. So if some thing was low and at a distance you would lower your head and look out of the top part of the glasses . So normal looking forward you just move your eye around the lens .i have wore glasses since i was 2 years old .so i have never known what it is like to see out of both eyes .so my brain does all the work for me .hope this helps.

Yes i more than likely am thinking of bi focals, do you have time to adjust on a very fast clay if it is well below the normal shooting position?.. I think my eyes and brain are both too slow now so i always ask for the furthest away prescription possible on my dominant eye. I have just had a cataract removed off my dominant eye and am really disappointed with the result. I was expecting perfect vision on removal like I have in my left eye but it's nowhere near as good . Better than it was but I think I will still be winking as i shoot to make the shot more accurate.I'm just waiting to collect my new specs and contact lenses to affirm my fears. from Auntie.

With me having little sight in my left eye ( was born this way, so dont know anything else ) i do tend to close that i when i am doing somethings, it helps me focus on what i am doing. over time the brain does things, i would say automatic, we start to do things without thinking about it.

The way i look at glasses is, its a peice of glass that goes from the bottom of the lens as close up to higher up the lens more distance stuff is in focus, so it has correted my eye, now i forget about the glasses i just think of my eye been ok now. so for close up i look at the bottom of the lens as i am doing now typing this. Something may distract me in the room i look up, but i am not rasing my head just looking in an other part of the lens. They take a bit of getting used to do vari lens but after a while the brain takes over. As the brain does not see the glass but just sees were it needs to point my eye.

Maybe in time your eye may improve after the Op, and you may not need the glasses, i know my cousin who is now in his 80s had his eyes done and he said he did not need his glasses, his eye site was the best it had ever been in his life. i think not, i think he was so used to the Cataracts that when they removed them things became more clearer again. yes as we get older i think our eyes as lots of other parts of our body slow down, or take more time, but how much time differance i dont know. I will never be amwzing at the clays i think i came into it to late in life, but when they break i am happy. My friends wife wanted to start clayshooting we got her a gun, i cut the stock to fit, started her of on easy clays now it less that 6 months she is doing amazing and loving it. I have told her my goal is for her to beat me and then i know my work is done,

Keep enjoying your hobby.