Yesterday evening we had the first get together of the LMGCSI group. There has been a great response from PW folk and 8 of us were able to make the meet. The purpose is to reduce numbers of Grey squirrels within Lancashire Merseyside Greater Manchester and Cheshire.

With confirmed sightings of Red Squirrels occurring further afield than the stronghold of Formby Merseyside we have looked at a strategy of targeting those areas where there have been credible sightings of Reds and the Cheshire box around Runcorn and Daresbury is an area for an initial focus.

Will1994 reported that he had seen a Red Squirrel in Preston Brook area, which ties up with other recent sightings of Red Squirels.

Our aim remains the same, that by thinning out the greys it will make space for the Reds to re-colonise and extend their territory even further.

We discussed the strategy of the West Lakes Squirrel Initiative group of volunteers and saw that their very successful model was a pattern we could draw upon to take the work forward in this area.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

im guessing the question has gone a bit sideways.. regards .. who wants to join .. rather than .. what and who should do shoot or trap .. please sign me up for a shoot , I'm up in the merseysyde area , not many places up this way , unless you can get a lucky permission

Unfortunately the FC will not give permission for shooting greys on their land, which is why they have such a problem in Kielder.

Good to meet you all this evening, some very good ideas to take things forward. Thanks again to all who were able to make the meet.

Cage trap baited and set, about 8ft from the river covered so it can't be spotted from opposite bank, so who wants to place a bet squirrel or rat for first catch.

And how long? I'm bad enough if mouse traps don't catch probably have a trail cam set up it it goes off without anything inside so long as Aldi hurry up and get them in.

pm pm really .. there is something regarding a resposibility for the control of pests , pest act 1954 section 1 . i heard this on a youtube video regarding shooting pests . i have not looked or search this yet , buy i thought i would bring this up , it might sort a few niggles out

A group of us have joined together to form a group of volunteers who have a passion for removing Grey Squirrels for the conservation of Red Squirrels, song birds and woodlands, in this region of North-west England.

We are modelling ourselves on the West Lakes Squirrel Initiative group who are highly effective and shoot Grey Squirrels from static feeders at 25 metres using air rifles only.

Anyone interested in joining with us please send me a PM.

Well done. If I were closer, I'd be joining up. It would be nice if there were something similar where I'm from.(Mid Glamorgan)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this has gone quiet , but in the next six weeks , the grey's will be hoarding away any type of nuts they can

find .

So if you have permissions, with oak , Hazel ,or Beech trees, get out there and get at them .

To attract grey's , hold a 50p between you index finger and thumb , and tap it with another coin, as

loudly as you can ! It really brings them in . But, stay well hidden.

Good hunting!

• 1 month later...

rmiller@lancswt.org.uk

Rachel is the contact for the Lancashire Wildlife Trust Red Alert project which is,to cut a long story short , she is the co-ordinater for the buffer zones which surround the Red Squiggle reserve in Formby.

I have attended enough meetings to realise the outstanding method of control is air rifle shooting over a feeder.

She is always after volunteers mainly to dispatch cage trapped critters but there may be obtainable permissions on offer.

LWT only have a very limited brief, working around the Formby Red Squirrel Stronghold and the designated buffer zone. Their main work is via a full time paid Ranger, who specifically concentrates on trapping grey squirrels.

Rachel is a full time employee of LWT who is designated Red Squirrel officer. She runs the trap loan scheme in the stronghold and buffer zone.

The email listed above is an old one, but may still work.

The LMGCSI is a volunteer group, run by volunteers who have a much larger vision beyond the limitations of the LWT operational area

I am also part of the LWT trap loan team, but in reality it is a very small part of grey control in the region.

How are you dealing with Grey Squirrel control in the Ormskirk area Richard?

We now have details of a confirmed Red Squirrel sighting at Cockerham, between Lancaster and Garstang. Great to see Red Squirrels naturally dispersing way beyond their established Strongholds.

It illustrates just how important it is to do Grey control beyond areas where there are know populations.

Thanks just had a quick look and there seems to be a few sightings in the area...

Interesting news will have a word with my farmer mate who has lived and worked in the area for 75 years...(keen country man)

See if he knows anything about reds in the area...

Thanks just had a quick look and there seems to be a few sightings in the area...

Interesting news will have a word with my farmer mate who has lived and worked in the area for 75 years...(keen country man)

See if he knows anything about reds in the area...

Great, be interested to hear any news/reports you get.

That is really good of you Turmoil It would be a great step forward for the reds if they had some local protection so that they could advance further South into more populated areas.

As soon as people in Garstang and The Fylde get them in their gardens they will feed them and report greys as well. Getting enough food for the young ones to overwinter is key as their "chlid" mortality rate is much higher than the greys.