in my wood i have problems with dog walkers,so looking forward to clocks back then i can get out b4 them,have seen some greys but been too leafy so only got one,but hopin to clear it again,an maybe spot a red in the next wood,unconfirmed report from last year.good hunting guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a morning out yesterday with fisheruk, he managed one I didn't get a shot, a great place and possibly spotted a red but it was in the top of a pine and couldn't be sure. A bit like hawkfanz says we have to be out early doors before the dog walkers but what fisheruk has been doing has to be working, because reds are being spotted and given the habitat there are a lot less greys about than you would find in a similar place.

• 3 months later...

Firstly can I congratulate you on your Squirrel Control Initiative and to say Hi.

I found this site by accident whilst looking for a silenced 410 to shoot greys and was encouraged by the enthusiasm of your members to control greys not just for sport but for the additional benefits of encouraging/protecting red squirrels as well as songbirds.

I am a volunteer with one of the larger red squirrel groups in the Lake District and have been trapping and culling for the last 3 years. Trapping is very seasonal here (so much oak,hazel and Beech mast to feed on) that we realised that we needed to add shooting to our method of control throughout the year and are requesting permission to shoot as well as trap from our existing landowners. So far this has been forthcoming, but often limited to hours of shooting and licensing of individuals to certain blocks of woodland. Silenced 410s are the preferred weapon plus air  rifles. As a general rule, Landowners do not seem to want 12 or 20bores or fac weapons.

Some of us have access to Flir thermal imagers, some love them and others hate them, I have seen them used to great effect in large blocks of woods but I am still somewhere in the middle of the learning curve. One thing is certain - they are an expensive bit of kit! What do others think?

Finally, I noticed a number of posts regarding accidentally catching birds in squirrel traps. I have never had this problem and wonder if it is because we cover our traps with black builders plastic. This is to protect the grey from the weather, but it also forms an interesting tunnel for the grey to explore and when placed in a wood tends to camouflage the trap and just looks like a bit of rubbish- see photo. We also make small feeders from jam jar lids to fit in the traps .BE7C502C-1402-4DD4-A3A4-C91D1A0A3DAA.jpeg.537915173f15868f6e1159c53e75f4eb.jpeg

Thanks for your response. I have a Flir and it works very well as a general point of view. I often see Squirrels well before they move. I have shot many out at 60 Yds as I have spotted them in their favourite spot sitting in the crook of a bow, with their back against the main trunk. This gives a great backstop for an FAC rated rifle. I wouldn’t have seen them there as they are stationary and well camouflaged. As the leaves come back them the Flir also lets you pick them out in the canopy. The only down side is that in some climatic conditions it “Reds out” so you just have to put it away. Doesn’t happen very often though. I have had my Flir for 4or 5 years, it was a game changer. I can watch them moving through the canopy making their way to a feeder so I am ready for them when they appear at a good spot to shoot..

Edited by Fisheruk

Hi Fisheruk

I took the Flir out today, beautiful day, everything covered in snow, well below zero but because the sky was clear everything was redded out. I must admit I am often more disappointed than impressed with the Flir. Admittedly, I have only been using it for 2 months, it will be interesting to use it when the weather gets abit warmer- having just bought a Mossberg Hushpower, I want to put it to good use!

Hi Mice

There was also a short article about this in the Mail yesterday referring to University of Aberdeen. Also a short report on the Today programme radio 4 yesterday about 8.45.

I went to a talk about this last year, It was first noticed (I Think) in Northern Ireland that as the pine marten population grew, the numbers of greys were considerably reduced but reds flourished. It was thought that the Martens could catch and eat the greys but the reds being lighter could escape by climbing on to the thinnest branches at the top of the tree and escape.

The chap giving the talk was part of a research group in Galloway who were protecting the martens. After years of analysing the scats (marten poo), they reached the conclusion that squirrels were very, very rarely part of the marten diet but the fact remained that as the population of martens increased, the numbers of reds increased and greys decreased. The current thinking is that the presence of martens somehow stresses the greys but not the reds. I think there is an experiment going on in Wales to test this theory.

Grey squirrels didn't evolve alongside pine martens, as such aren't equipped as well as red squirrels with their predation. 

Greys spend far more time on the ground than reds where they are vulnerable to Pine Martens, the presence of Pine martens mean they spend less time on the ground therefore aren't as successful at feeding, don't reach optimum bodyweight and breeding success is then reduced. 

On 28/02/2018 at 15:03, Sciurus said:

Hi Fisheruk

I took the Flir out today, beautiful day, everything covered in snow, well below zero but because the sky was clear everything was redded out. I must admit I am often more disappointed than impressed with the Flir. Admittedly, I have only been using it for 2 months, it will be interesting to use it when the weather gets abit warmer- having just bought a Mossberg Hushpower, I want to put it to good use!

Which model are you using? Mine is an old one and they are said to be better. There is a technique to get the best out of it, and yes it is affected by climatic conditions. I have found it a game changer.

I have the Flir scout II 240, I think it is about 2 years old. Funnily enough, our local ranger, who also swears by them, had a go with it and said he preferred his earlier model.

I took it away with me last weekend to Wales as I was staying in a cabin in a wood swarming with greys. I nearly always spotted them by eye first. If they weren’t close (& showing some red) then they were nearly the same shade of white as the branches - very frustrating.

It is however, very useful for finding the route of central heating pipes beneath a solid floor!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2017 at 23:11, Longbower said:

I wonder what the Forestry Commissions views on Grey Squirrels is?

I just had a quick look , and the FC seem to feel that shooting them is the least effective way of controlling numbers .

I would have thought that increasing the numbers eradicated by 'any' means would support other methods of control.

Tried them not inteested at all

• 5 weeks later...

I took a lovely picture of a red squirrel in Formby couple of months ago I was videoing it and then I took a picture and this was the picture I got I was feeding him monkey nuts they love them the red squirrels around the Formby area are travelling out because of friends Who has been shooting grey squirrels on a farm for years and he has seen a red squirrel on one of his feeders in Rice Lane Liverpool he is waiting to catch good footage of it but he says it looked perfectly healthy to him he spotted another one couple of weeks ago Rosemary wood     Fisheries Lancashire  which is a good sign, we cover a couple of places culling  grey squirrels around the Northwest and a Place in Runcorn we have been doing for couple of years we have had good numbers of Grey squirrels we use feeders to cull them in from the outside sometimes we are lucky to see one we must be on the winning battle in this area just got a keep up the good work ?

IMG_7989.JPG

18 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

where did you try?

Think he means the forestry commission, their website says they control grey squirrels as part of a management program but not heard of anyone being given permission to shoot or trap on their land.

19 hours ago, Headshot 303 said:

I took a lovely picture of a red squirrel in Formby couple of months ago I was videoing it and then I took a picture and this was the picture I got I was feeding him monkey nuts they love them the red squirrels around the Formby area are travelling out because of friends Who has been shooting grey squirrels on a farm for years and he has seen a red squirrel on one of his feeders in Rice Lane Liverpool he is waiting to catch good footage of it but he says it looked perfectly healthy to him he spotted another one couple of weeks ago Rosemary wood     Fisheries Lancashire  which is a good sign, we cover a couple of places culling  grey squirrels around the Northwest and a Place in Runcorn we have been doing for couple of years we have had good numbers of Grey squirrels we use feeders to cull them in from the outside sometimes we are lucky to see one we must be on the winning battle in this area just got a keep up the good work ?

IMG_7989.JPG

Cracking picture fella

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Think he means the forestry commission, their website says they control grey squirrels as part of a management program but not heard of anyone being given permission to shoot or trap on their land.

Cracking picture fella

I meant where in the FC. 

I know of a few people who trap on FC land as volunteers and a couple of their own staff so maybe it's done in house where he applied?

Edited by ClemFandango

58 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I meant where in the FC. 

I know of a few people who trap on FC land as volunteers and a couple of their own staff so maybe it's done in house where he applied?

I see my apologies, only problem with trapping is its so time consuming, how many people can check traps twice a day?

52 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I get that it's a big commitment but trapping is far more effective than shooting.

I would have to argue against that unless you have a massive number of traps down and are doing it full time, if you've got reds then you can only use live catch traps. We are having good success bringing squirrels to feeders and shooting, this is working in the lakes in Anglesey and other areas around the country, you will struggle to find two squirrels near my house where twelve months ago they were everywhere, I've shot more than I've trapped.

Mice, I agree it is very time consuming, I don’t know how you do so much and work as well. As a volunteer for Westmorland Red Squirrels, it is noticeable that the great majority of volunteer trappers are all retired. It is generally accepted that the legal requirement is to check traps daily however RSNE recommend twice daily. Like Formby, we encourage householders (particularly those near to sensitive sites) to take a trap and monitor it. It saves us a lot of time and effort and the householders seem to enjoy it., particularly the older ones who wish to see reds return and flourish. However, we do trap in woods, hotels and caravan sites on a rotational or needs basis. The trapping season is fairly short (except around houses) so some of us are also now shooting where permissible. I take the view that there are good arguments for both shooting and trapping, the important thing is to do something! At the end of the day, some of us are better at trapping and some at shooting, I just enjoy the variety.

Incidently, some of our important sites, the greys do seem to be ‘trap shy’, so this year I have particularly enjoyed ambushing the odd rogue grey which had invaded red areas.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I would have to argue against that unless you have a massive number of traps down and are doing it full time, if you've got reds then you can only use live catch traps. We are having good success bringing squirrels to feeders and shooting, this is working in the lakes in Anglesey and other areas around the country, you will struggle to find two squirrels near my house where twelve months ago they were everywhere, I've shot more than I've trapped.

I've never controlled squirrels in an area that has also had reds so I can't speak from experience there. 

If I wanted to have fun, I'd shoot. If I want to kill serious numbers I trap. 

There's no reason why you can't do both at the same time though.

The fact that you have shot more than you've trapped in itself isn't really proof of anything, is that covering a similar area? similar amount of man hours per animal? similar cost of ammo V traps? Are your shooting and trapping techniques equally as efficient? 

Last year I trapped far and away more squirrels than I shot. 

Edited by ClemFandango