Shooting and trapping both have a place in grey control. In reality for volunteers who have other things to do Shooting is the only realistic option unless you are on site ie, in your garden.

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I've never controlled squirrels in an area that has also had reds so I can't speak from experience there. 

If I wanted to have fun, I'd shoot. If I want to kill serious numbers I trap. 

There's no reason why you can't do both at the same time though.

It is not a question of fun but commitment. I have been controlling greys in areas where there are both Greys and Reds. Shooting is as selective as it comes. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Mice, I agree it is very time consuming, I don’t know how you do so much and work as well. As a volunteer for Westmorland Red Squirrels, it is noticeable that the great majority of volunteer trappers are all retired. It is generally accepted that the legal requirement is to check traps daily however RSNE recommend twice daily. Like Formby, we encourage householders (particularly those near to sensitive sites) to take a trap and monitor it. It saves us a lot of time and effort and the householders seem to enjoy it., particularly the older ones who wish to see reds return and flourish. However, we do trap in woods, hotels and caravan sites on a rotational or needs basis. The trapping season is fairly short (except around houses) so some of us are also now shooting where permissible. I take the view that there are good arguments for both shooting and trapping, the important thing is to do something! At the end of the day, some of us are better at trapping and some at shooting, I just enjoy the variety.

Incidently, some of our important sites, the greys do seem to be ‘trap shy’, so this year I have particularly enjoyed ambushing the odd rogue grey which had invaded red areas.

Thanks sciurus i missed this earlier. I only normally get out once a week but thanks to my shifts i can sometimes go after work as well. Fisher UK is out several times a week and has been for years. Between three of us a small patch with confirmed reds is being kept on top of, trapping doesn't take place because of the time scale.

1 hour ago, ClemFandango said:

I've never controlled squirrels in an area that has also had reds so I can't speak from experience there. 

The fact that you have shot more than you've trapped in itself isn't really proof of anything, is that covering a similar area? similar amount of man hours per animal? similar cost of ammo V traps? Are your shooting and trapping techniques equally as efficient? 

Last year I trapped far and away more squirrels than I shot. 

The majority of my squirrels last year were taken from my garden, anything that was shot which was most, had ignored the one trap i had out, but this year the few squirrels I've had in the garden have been trapped, this has drawn them in from a decent area of public land, you don't need access to a full wood to make a difference.

I agree that both trapping and shooting work well together and both are fun but it comes down to time and access.

On 26/04/2018 at 22:33, ClemFandango said:

The fact that you have shot more than you've trapped in itself isn't really proof of anything, is that covering a similar area? similar amount of man hours per animal? similar cost of ammo V traps? Are your shooting and trapping techniques equally as efficient? 

Last year I trapped far and away more squirrels than I shot. 

I think from the years I've been shooting Grey squirrels I find it's a lot easier and better shooting grey squirrels on feeders  you get a lot more if you keep them topped up regularly it keeps them coming I have tried trapping squirrels and I didn't like doing it because I was only getting 1 or 2                                on feeders I will be getting between 6 and 7 we have a group that works together as a team to keep on top of feeders and it's a good success last year we had a good number of grey squirrels that we have eliminated them off feeders sometimes you will be lucky to see one which is a good thing now we are getting what is coming in from the outside.   If you keep a good food source for them you are on for a winner if you have a good team of people to do it ?

Edited by Headshot 303

On 26/03/2018 at 21:33, chris1961 said:

Tried them not inteested at all

I think it's the best way shooting grey squirrels how someone can say it's a better success in trapping them sorry but I think that is bull**** I would rather be shot not knowing it then be locked in a cage waiting to be shot that's just the way I see it mate

8 hours ago, Headshot 303 said:

I think from the years I've been shooting Grey squirrels I find it's a lot easier and better shooting grey squirrels on feeders  you get a lot more if you keep them topped up regularly it keeps them coming I have tried trapping squirrels and I didn't like doing it because I was only getting 1 or 2                                on feeders I will be getting between 6 and 7 we have a group that works together as a team to keep on top of feeders and it's a good success last year we had a good number of grey squirrels that we have eliminated them off feeders sometimes you will be lucky to see one which is a good thing now we are getting what is coming in from the outside.   If you keep a good food source for them you are on for a winner if you have a good team of people to do it ?

If you have squirrels coming to a feeder and you can't get them into a trap then you are doing something wrong. 

Also you are comparing a team of shooters to one trapper. 

Trapping is, in my experience the most efficient legal way of killing squirrels by far. 

As I said I don't have experience of areas with Red squirrels and appreciate there are other considerations there. 

Again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting squirrels. It's good fun, but if I want to kill proper numbers and cover a wood effectively with the most efficient use of my time it's traps every time. 

The same is true of Corvids etc etc. 

16 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

If you have squirrels coming to a feeder and you can't get them into a trap then you are doing something wrong. 

Also you are comparing a team of shooters to one trapper. 

Trapping is, in my experience the most efficient legal way of killing squirrels by far. 

As I said I don't have experience of areas with Red squirrels and appreciate there are other considerations there. 

Again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting squirrels. It's good fun, but if I want to kill proper numbers and cover a wood effectively with the most efficient use of my time it's traps every time. 

The same is true of Corvids etc etc. 

Hello clemfandango, ye wrapping is probably better and more affective in biger Woodlands

The places that we do it not that big of woodland and we have time to do it, like you said it is a lot of fun doing it on feeders.

we you'se to see a lot of grey squirrels but the numbers are not that big no more set up I set up my trial cameras to see what numbers I get on feeders and it is not a lot which is good to see makes you feel good that you are doing something we are working on different areas to do it a lot of the areas that we do our Privateland there will be a day I will go out and I will not see a grey squirrel.

The sport is getting bigger as you can see on Facebook there is a lot of people all over the UK doing a good job. 

Edited by Headshot 303

5 hours ago, Headshot 303 said:

Hello clemfandango, ye wrapping is probably better and more affective in biger Woodlands

The places that we do it not that big of woodland and we have time to do it, like you said it is a lot of fun doing it on feeders.

we you'se to see a lot of grey squirrels but the numbers are not that big no more set up I set up my trial cameras to see what numbers I get on feeders and it is not a lot which is good to see makes you feel good that you are doing something we are working on different areas to do it a lot of the areas that we do our Privateland there will be a day I will go out and I will not see a grey squirrel.

The sport is getting bigger as you can see on Facebook there is a lot of people all over the UK doing a good job. 

At the end of the day you get a dead grey squirrel so either way is good. Best of luck to you and your teams. 

On 30/04/2018 at 06:06, ClemFandango said:

At the end of the day you get a dead grey squirrel so either way is good. Best of luck to you and your teams. 

One of the lads did well yesterday in the Hide for 2 hours 5 female and 3 male in Runcorn 

IMG_8144.JPG

Edited by Headshot 303

You would never fit all of those in one trap :whistling: I haven't seen that many squirrels in one place yet this year, brilliant result. ?? 

11 hours ago, Headshot 303 said:

One of the lads did well yesterday in the Hide for 2 hours 5 female and 3 male in Runcorn 

22 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You would never fit all of those in one trap  I haven't seen that many squirrels in one place yet this year, brilliant result. ?? 

well no of course you wouldn't. But you wouldn't just set one trap would you? 

It's a good result but I could check 25/30 traps in two hours. :whistling:

On 03/05/2018 at 08:34, Mice! said:

Got home this morning kids all excited, first hedgehog of the year in the trap, going to wire the entrance up, make it narrower see if that keeps them out. Failing that I'll have to raise it up.

?? only got one night off work this week going to get out in the morning for a walk about check the feeder maybe try a bit of night shooting on the rats.

• 1 month later...

We keep a very firm check on greys in the immediate area and trap and shoot all the year round. As a result, there are generally never very few about. Getting 10 to 15 greys in a month is a high score, 5 to 8 is more common. 

I am back from a short holiday and suddenly we are catching/shooting large numbers of greys all around. I have had 22 in 10days, my colleague has 28. They are nearly all adult, very few juveniles. They are fairly easily trapped and we are getting them in woodland and houses with a lot of mature trees. We are not getting them in the suburban houses with bird feeders that have previously been are main catching spots.

I have heard that colleagues covering other villages nearby are experiencing the same explosion of greys. Has anyone any idea why this is happenings? One idea is that we have had 6 weeks of very hot weather and a lot of the becks and rivers were drying up and possibly greys were now able to travel further distances from F.C. woods in search of food.

in the meantime, we have now got every trap out, in the hope of getting as many as we can before the natural food appears.

15 hours ago, Sciurus said:

We keep a very firm check on greys in the immediate area and trap and shoot all the year round. As a result, there are generally never very few about. Getting 10 to 15 greys in a month is a high score, 5 to 8 is more common. 

I am back from a short holiday and suddenly we are catching/shooting large numbers of greys all around. I have had 22 in 10days, my colleague has 28. They are nearly all adult, very few juveniles. They are fairly easily trapped and we are getting them in woodland and houses with a lot of mature trees. We are not getting them in the suburban houses with bird feeders that have previously been are main catching spots.

I have heard that colleagues covering other villages nearby are experiencing the same explosion of greys. Has anyone any idea why this is happenings? One idea is that we have had 6 weeks of very hot weather and a lot of the becks and rivers were drying up and possibly greys were now able to travel further distances from F.C. woods in search of food.

in the meantime, we have now got every trap out, in the hope of getting as many as we can before the natural food appears.

certainly seems a strange one to get such large numbers suddenly traveling into your areas. Do you think their coming from an area that isn't shot or trapped on? Is there a lot of forestry work going on which may have driven them out? 50 squirrels between just two of you seems a lot of squirrels on the move.

Just had reports from Siverdale and Arnside colleagues and they are trapping record numbers as well. I don’t know where all these greys are coming from, but they are hungry and not trap shy (for a change).So we will oblige them as much as we can. A red was spotted twice last week in the centre of Windermere, which was good news - the last one unfortunately got run over. Definitely not a member of the Tufty Club!

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned last month that we were suddenly suddenly seeing and catching a lot more greys in areas which are strictly controlled. Looking at our monthly figures, it is interesting to note that within a 2mile radius of Windermere village, 4 of us have removed 144 greys in June, compared to 54 in May and only 41 last June! 

We don’t know where they have all come from, the majority were trapped, most were adults, all we know is that for a change, they were no longer trap shy.

It has all gone quiet again and the Windermere red has disappeared 

June 2018- 144

June 2017 - 41

May 2018. - 54

May 2017 - 18

From the above, you can see that we have controlled  3x as many greys as the previous year in May and June and last month nearly 3x as many as the previous month. This is the same four people, doing the same amount of trapping in exactly the same spots. The only difference is this year I have used an air rifle as well,  accounting for say 15 per month.

The other interesting thing is upto and including May we were catching quite a few in gardens and little in woodland - we would see them but they were trapshy. However, In June, they lost their shyness and were easily caught but the catches in gardens dropped off considerably. I have no idea why this happened except they were very hungry. It has now gone very quiet and the few I see are very wary.