Please List your GREY SQUIRREL KILLS for 2017 Here

webber

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Head Forester(wife) reported one in our orchard yesterday and knowing they normally rise and start rooting around about 7am I went down early and got settled in one of my purpose built cabins. Only been there twenty minutes... 6.55am and BOSH!!!! something fairly heavy lands on the roof and begins to scratch around. A few minutes latter the squirrel appeared from beneath the cabin and gave the Mossy a clear shot. A start to another good day !!

Someone must be breeding the damn things. My wood has been inundated this last week, where they are a rare sight normally.

2 more this morning ....may actually be 3 but 1 not recovered. heard the THWOP!! and it dived into cover, not found.

Then saw another dive into the nut trees as I drove back !!!

W 570 you are saying what I am thinking , had none in my garden for over a year and then killed 10 over the bank holiday weekend and one the week before.

And an extra one today, large male on an oak tree that sucks them in at this time of year 676 g biggest of the year in my normal area by far ! normally less than 550 g.

4 years ago that would be average weight for a male in Autumn; so he must have come some distance to feed on the oak.

1 more to add

Yes, I am experiencing a sudden inundation, I think that's seven in five days but they are all small this years kittens bar the last which was a biggish male. My small wood is loaded with hazel nuts as well as a very big old oak which dominates the centre. They are not interested in the peanut feeders at all at the moment.

Edited by Walker570

Looked around whilst pigeon shooting and Mr Squirrel is sat in the hedge motionless right behind me, looking at me over the fork of a tree. I could just see his head & shoulders. Turned my shoulders around very slowly and as soon as the gun was lined up, well, he won't be getting dandruff any time soon.

Was planning to go for the pigeons on some wheat stubble today but weather in North Warwickshire promised rain and thunder so stayed home and sat in my cabins in the wood. Result three more tree rats, one trying to sneak away with one of my walnuts. A 177 pellet behind the ear soon taught that one a lesson. still believe there are a couple more down there....that's 18 for me in 15 days!!!

...... and another. In fact this is one I believed I had missed clean. When retrieved I saw a groove in the fur and bruising on the belly skin and a wound on the rear leg where the 22RF had just clipped it. Just goes to show as this squirrel did not show any problem at the time and ran into the trees apparently unharmed. It was about 300yrds from the initial encounter three days ago.

Edited by Walker570