best ways to avoid colds without avoiding people

wandringstar

hi, I have had a dreadful month after catching this horrible cold late November, which went to my sinuses and my chest.

it culminated in an asthma attack new years eve which required hospital intervention.

I am feeling a bit better now after steroid treatment etc. Its becoming a nightmare nowadays when getting a cold, in the past it was a 10 day issue, but now every cold seems so virulent, the least I get is a sinus infection after the cold.

I need to stop this from happening, so what can I do, I have been told to load up on vitamin c etc, does anyone have any good suggestions.

thanks,

wandringstar.

p.s happy new year.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very difficult, some supplements claim to boost the immune system, but that doesn't help much if you've not encountered the virus before.

I'll say it again though, clean hands!

If you're taking corticosteroids routinely they have a ominous compromising side effect

I can empathise with the OP,

Although I haven't had an asthma attack in many months, well not a full on one requiring steroids (Prednislerone ?)

Perhaps check with your Dr that you're on the best preventative possible as new drugs do become available from time to time.

Other than that, Keep warm where possible and ensure general health is as good as possible, I find hot lemon barley and Paracetemol best relief for cold symptoms.

the asthma caught me out, I hadn't had this happen for 10 years and felt I had grown out of this in the main, consequently the inhalers I had were old and ineffective, its a very frightening scenario, the hospital were marvellous, I was nebulised, given steroid tablets, they even gave me a drip, blood tests and a chest x ray, all carried out as a walk in A and E situation, I was home within a few hours.

it would be nice to avoid all of this, without getting the cold in the first place,

thanks for the replies.

p.s my inhalers will be renewed annually, that's for sure.

Edited by wandringstar

Wash your hands before putting anything in your mouth to prevent bacteria infections,viruses, etc entering the body from door handles, keyboards, and the likes.

This, especially if you use public transport. I sit on the train every day watching people wiping their noses on their hands or coughing into them and then plastering it all over hand rails, door handles etc.

Also, how healthy are you generally? If your fitness isnt great it would help to improve that. I have a bad back injury which led a few years ago to me putting on a fair bit of weight, and when I was heavier I was ill a lot. When I found a way to work some of it off without crippling myself I found my ability to ward off bugs improved too.

Watch "vit d a d-lightful story" on YouTube by Dr holick then follow his recommendations, you need it for your immune system and don't get enough of it, he was the head of medicine at Boston university and is the world's leading authority on vit d not some blogger or quack trying to sell you something to lone his pockets

Be careful who you get too close to if you are worried about contracting anything infectious, if your not worried too much about a runny nose then carry on regardless, I am still waiting for the infections to show after new years eve ,

So far So good :yes::lol::good:

Wash your hands before putting anything in your mouth to prevent bacteria infections,viruses, etc entering the body from door handles, keyboards, and the likes.

+1

If you have got children then you are fighting a loosing battle they are little germ factories.

+1, My 5 year old grand daughter gave me a special Christmas gift, the worst cold I have had in years,she brought it home from school and was proper poorly herself , at 69 I have to watch out for any chest infections as they could kill me following illness last Year, so I wipe all handles etc with an antiseptic solution but it is impossible if you are out in public or visiting others houses, You would think with modern medicine they would have come up with some effective protection or cure by now, the cold and flu remedy business must be worth a lot of money to those who manufacture and sell them. :no::no:

Plenty of garlic and onions, works for me.

I think they're both natural antiseptics, plus they make the germ laden ******* give you a wide berth.

Lots of proper fresh air, turn the heating down and gets some windows open.

My old Grandad used to tell us the fumes from a dung heap were good for clearing the sinuses !

+1

+1, My 5 year old grand daughter gave me a special Christmas gift, the worst cold I have had in years,she brought it home from school and was proper poorly herself , at 69 I have to watch out for any chest infections as they could kill me following illness last Year, so I wipe all handles etc with an antiseptic solution but it is impossible if you are out in public or visiting others houses, You would think with modern medicine they would have come up with some effective protection or cure by now, the cold and flu remedy business must be worth a lot of money to those who manufacture and sell them. :no::no:

Children do harbour lots of nasties as their immune system is not fully developed until 7 years old. As stated above good hand hygiene is a must in lowering virus and bacteria ingestion transit. Good sleep pattern also will help as your body does most of its repair while asleep, poor sleeping broken/short spells of ongoing sleep cause immuno- supression of your immune system and will generally run you down. Unfortunately killing viruses with medication is difficult, a virus can change it's DNA in less than 15 minutes thus rendering many pharmacological (drugs) innefective against the host virus. Basically it learns very quickly how it is being attacked and changes its armour that is why antibiotics have no impact at all on a virus ad are for use on bacteria. Our bodies immune system are amazing but as with everything the older we get, age, health conditions, enviromental and genetic factors all lower our immunity. The overuse of antibiotics for the last 40 years both in medicine and food has all helped with ever immune increasing strains of bacteria resistant organisms. Yes, the over the counter (OTC) sales of non prescription potion/remedies for the afformentioned makes drug companies billions globally. It is not financially in their best interests to be putting money into research to bring an end to these maladies. As original poster it does appear your asthma has been well controlled as you appear to not have had an event for many months, as with all inhalers, inhalation technique and compliance are absolutely central to good preventitive and acute management of symptoms. Always carry your inhalers with you should you require them.

Right, got to cut short as off to work!

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

thanks for the great replies, I am a handwasher in general, but there are times very often, when I will eat with my hands whilst out, like a pastie, or similar, and they wont be washed, so I will heed that advice, regarding weight, I was a massive 17st 4lb in the autumn, and as of today, I am exactly a stone lighter due to calorie reduction, my target weight is 15 stone by the summer.

I could handle colds, that were runny noses, cough etc, but these things of late are a nightmare, but maybe its me that's weakened and the virus is the same as before.

regards, off to wash my hands, :good:

Plenty of garlic and onions, works for me.

I think they're both natural antiseptics, plus they make the germ laden ******* give you a wide berth.

Lots of proper fresh air, turn the heating down and gets some windows open.

My old Grandad used to tell us the fumes from a dung heap were good for clearing the sinuses !

Surely most of the remedies previously mentioned in other posts are a bit behind the event. Seeing as most of these things are airbourne the most effective thing is to avoid the diseased ******'s or a barrier such as a face mask like the Japanese use for pollution soaked in TCP or detol. You might get mistaken for a weirdo or a terrorist but there you go. Edited by fortune