best ways to avoid colds without avoiding people

wandringstar

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a great believer in these alcohol hand rubs washing is ok but will not always kill the bugs I always give my hands a good rubbing when I go to the supermarket for my weekly shop I dread to think what could be on the trolley handles when you push it round and see people coughing and sneezing.

Hand washing is times more effective than hand rubs, times.

You can't sterilise carp.

Washing hands , try to be aware of were you put your fingers mouth nose eyes, first sign of a sniffle or temperature Vicks first defence , nasty stuff but seems to work , if too late and end up cold symptoms I swear by lots of fresh orange juice , hot spicy food and raising my body temperature as hot as possible for as long as possible to burn it off, works for me.

Spoonful of honey first thing in the morning along with a vitamin tablet - at the first sign of a sore throat gargle Whiskey. You should try and be active as much as you can and not avoid going out in cold temps - central heating does not help - try making sure you are getting fresh air in your rooms and leaving a saucer of water above your radiators helps prevent dry air that can cause a cough/sore throat/infection. Might sound strange but I often wonder if a positive mental attitude helps?? I have to be careful because of immunosuppressants that I take so you are not alone.

Spoonful of honey first thing in the morning along with a vitamin tablet - at the first sign of a sore throat gargle Whiskey. You should try and be active as much as you can and not avoid going out in cold temps - central heating does not help - try making sure you are getting fresh air in your rooms and leaving a saucer of water above your radiators helps prevent dry air that can cause a cough/sore throat/infection. Might sound strange but I often wonder if a positive mental attitude helps?? I have to be careful because of immunosuppressants that I take so you are not alone.

Doesn't sound strange at all, I firmly believe it helps with many things in life. :good:

I have to be honest, I think once its in you, that's it, until nature does its job, mind over matter wont make it respond, its got to be prevention, I think I can actually trace back the source of it, and I thought at the time, oh no,here we go again.....I dident think it would end up as a hospital job though.

Do you find you have more mild illnesses taking immunosuppressive drugs?

The mental health is relevant, I imagine if you know you're at risk, you take more care of yourself, by proxy if you like.

Are you on long term immunosuppressants? Transplant/autoimmune disease long drugs?

Edited by kyska

Hand gel. Good ventilation at home and lots of vitamin c.

Had a series of viruses whilst living in London during one cold spell. I think I was ill for pretty much 3 months with constant colds/sore throat/headache etc.

I put it down to public transport.

+1 I use a hand gel, I also spray a lot with a dettol type spray that kills cold/flu/bacteria also lots of fresh orange...seems to work..the lads in our office go for years without colds by doing this type of routine at work..

I think you bunch need to man up, slip your hand in your pocket and see if you still have any.

Not had been off work for can't remember how many years, don't get anything that resembles any of your ailments.

I'm surprised any of you go out the house at all.

Lol

I think you bunch need to man up, slip your hand in your pocket and see if you still have any.

Not had been off work for can't remember how many years, don't get anything that resembles any of your ailments.

I'm surprised any of you go out the house at all.

Lol

Real men get man flu. Women just get normal flu.

I'm paranoid about catching anything that resembles a throat cold, cough etc as it pretty much wipes me out for days. Every time I catch one I can't sleep for at least 3-4 nights as my breathing/snoring problems keep me awake. With this in mind I am OCD about hand cleanliness. I always have a hand gel in my pocket, never touch door handles, don't eat finger food and try my best to avoid people with colds. At group nights out I've even avoided people I know have a cold and make sure I don't sit near them! I do think though that the spread of germs could be better controlled if people took more care with their hygiene.

Edited by dbob

kyska - been on them for 11+ years following kidney/pancreas transplant. At first you have to be ultra cautious about avoiding crowds or individuals who you know are not well but over time you have to just get on with it. Cannot remember the last time I got a cough or cold etc but infections from daft objects like a blackthorn in my finger can put me in intensive care if not treated quickly.

My Belgian friend lives off a diet of coke, fry ups, chips, and a lot of red meat, oh and 40 cigs a day and hasn't been ill for ages- never spent a day in hospital.

He reckons and lives by having a stress free life, doing 30 mins of hard excercise a day sonyou sweat big time and having hot steamy baths.

Whether any of that is actually helpful god knows but I was really ill a year ago and spent a fair bit of time in hospital. I honestly think the healthier you are in body and mind matters a lot.

Hand washing is times more effective than hand rubs, times.

You can't sterilise carp.

You are correct in saying that but it is not as simple as that to get rid of all of the germs with soap and water takes time most people will give there hands a quick dab of soap from the dispenser and a quick rub with worm water and that is it we have all seen the adds on the TV about it.

Gels are not perfect and it depends on the alcohol content in them and how much you use if you do not have the time or cannot be bothered to do a proper hand and soap was use a gel at least you will kill most of the germs.

currently offshore and we have 5 confirmed cases of noro-virus or winter vomiting bug. The 5 people have been quarantined in there cabins and we have all been requested to use soap & water to clean hands rather than using just the sterilizing gel. Difficult to avoid people in such a close environment but personal hygiene is paramount. Had to use plastic disposal cutlery and plates for lunch. The virus was not apparent until after crew changes last week so it has been brought on-board recently. We have all been asked to look out for any early symptoms but at this time of the year there are lots of cold type of symptoms about. personally I was feeling a bit carpy last week so a day or so with paracetimol and lots of liquid and blitizing the vit C with a brocoa type of drink. I am due home on Thursday so hopefully I will stay free of it.

I sometimes think we have become to sterile in our way of life and central heating and poor ventilation in our homes may contribute a fair bit to contacting bugs.

not read the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned ..

Vitamin C and Zinc are the ones to take and you get both these in one supplement if you believe in them...

If you can't be bothered to read the whole thread, why bother to post? :hmm:

Why shouldnt jeddy have posted that? It contained information pertinent to the thread.

At least his post tried to bring some constructive and helpful information to the thread; can you honestly say the same for your response?

Why shouldnt jeddy have posted that? It contained information pertinent to the thread.

At least his post tried to bring some constructive and helpful information to the thread; can you honestly say the same for your response?

Rather than derail the thread I'll answer you offline.

Eating whole raw onions, and multiple cloves of garlic! That way you don't need to stay clear of others!

They will stay clear of YOU :lol:

My old man swears by garlic oil capsules, and vitamin top ups durin the winter months! Never known him have a cold in many years.

Edited by Lord Geordie