Rabbits

Archie-fox

Afternoon all

I have a rabbit permission that I shoot maybe 5 rabbits a month on, now everytime I go on in I see maybe 30/40 rabbits but I manage the area for the freezer and don't shoot everything I see, but the last 3 times I've been on not a rabbit in sight no dead ones looks like they have vanished

Any ideas guys?

Afternoon all

I have a rabbit permission that I shoot maybe 5 rabbits a month on, now everytime I go on in I see maybe 30/40 rabbits but I manage the area for the freezer and don't shoot everything I see, but the last 3 times I've been on not a rabbit in sight no dead ones looks like they have vanished

Any ideas guys?

Disease.

RHD would be suspect.

Or you've had ferreters, look for dig holes, I have this a lot, without asking and I know who they are. Conspicuously absent from the pub as they know I'll have a 'word' like the last time which hurt them more than me.

Disease.

RHD would be suspect.

Or you've had ferreters, look for dig holes, I have this a lot, without asking and I know who they are. Conspicuously absent from the pub as they know I'll have a 'word' like the last time which hurt them more than me.

Not a sign mate, they have gone from about a 6 acre area...they have just vanished, no dead ones no dig holes just vanished... shame really as it was a great little area to stock the freezer up, 10 mins from my front door..

I came on here to ask the same thing. Looking through my log June 68, July 69, august 77, sept 41, Oct 14, nov 9, dec 1. I'm out shooting the same amount of time too. Not seeing any. The odd pile of poo and the odd scrape but that's it.

Edited by Jay_Russell

I came on here to ask the same thing. Looking through my log June 68, July 69, august 77, sept 41, Oct 14, nov 9, dec 1. I'm out shooting the same amount of time too. Not seeing any. The odd pile of poo and the odd scrape but that's it.

You sure you've not shot them all with those type of numbers?? I've shot the same amount roughly each month for 5 years nearly, then all of a sudden there gone..

You sure you've not shot them all with those type of numbers?? I've shot the same amount roughly each month for 5 years nearly, then all of a sudden there gone..

my thoughts the same. as a rule i think you will see about ten percent of the rabbits in the winter as you do in the breeding season. you cant go banging away all summer and expect the same numbers come winter. but saying that if you are asked to clear the lot then hit them hard the first few sessions and numbers will decline rapidly.

or as are op has done, he is not under pressure so keep a few for the pot and then you have a banker for when you need some. i have a few patches like this that i only go on myself. it is funny how some patches can suddenly drop off. i would say more likely disease. alot of ground i cover has been hit by mixy in the last couple of years. but you usally see good indicators of this. for a ferreter to clear that amount of numbers in one trip would be very effecient. normally takes a few outings to get on top of them

If its Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease it could be that a lot of them a copping it underground or dropping dead when they are out at night and then getting hovered up by the local predators. Unlike mixy where the bunny becomes ill is really lethargic and cant see for a fair period so you can see a lot of them outside but not reacting as they normally would. With the RHD they look fine them drop dead so you could have had a few warrens where most of them are dead underground as its ripped through the population.

I would hope I made a good dent but I always saw far more than I ever shot. Those numbers are over 2000 acres of arable and stewrdship. My work allows allow me to have three hours of shooting time most days, I used to rotate the areas I was shooting. There's a few fields that surround our shoot, I used to leave those to hopefully attract some fox attention away from the pen's. But even those are gone.

I have sole rights on two large camp sites, three years ago there were over 200 rabbits , I took 64 in 4 sessions but they were breeding faster than I could shoot them, then mixxy hit them, within two months there was not a rabbit in sight, no dead bodies , the rabbit once infected will normally stay underground to die in the burrows, any that do get above ground fall prey to foxes dogs and even cats,

So no bodies, no rabbits, no breading stock, no sport.

Its been over 2 years now since I saw the last youngsters, they only lasted a few weeks before going the same way as the others.

I pass the site's almost every day and always have a quick look but nothing, I have walked the site's a couple of times and have seen fresh droppings in the last few weeks but not a live rabbit as yet, fingers crossed they will come back but once mixxy has a hold it is very persistent and I dont hold much hope for the large numbers I once had. :no::no:

Its actually designated RHD2 , a development of RHD, but this mutation ,is quicker to kill , and can be passed from area to area by birds or

humans but mainly insect bites etc . Some vets have signs up asking people not to transport suspected cases to the practices, as it is wiping out many domestic

pets!

Also RHD2 unlike RHD, affects Hares.

It does pass apparently , but numbers here in the North West (well , my permissions anyway) seem to be slow to recover.

• 4 weeks later...

I've struggled to find rabbits on any of my eight, once prolific permissions. I've probably overshot one 80 acre site now due to the shortage. On most of the others, I've shot both myxy and RHD rabbits until about October, then nothing. One 30 acre mixed meadow and scrub land perm, has cattle on it til the autumn, when I'm then allowed to shoot it. Couldn't wait to get on it to refill the freezer, but didn't even see a rabbit. All the old warrens were empty, the holes filled with leaves, with signs of a few dried droppings. This land is remote with a river one side and accessed over the farm motorway bridge, so it's unlikely to have been poached. Probably shot only thirty rabbits on it by the time I had to stop again in the spring.

My license is up for renewal in the summer and now wondering if it's worth going through all the hassle to renew.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a couple of hours out on the 80 acre site last week, during the warm spell and saw eight fit adult rabbits, plus a four young kits in a group. This was only in one small ten acre area around a wood during the afternoon. Managed to shoot three with my Magtech .22. No sign of disease, with clean livers. Good news.

Blimey! Exactly the same on my permission of 2000+ acres, once some huge warrens and rabbits all over - but not a sign of them, walked the land the other day and looked hard but didn't see a single dropping , let alone an actual rabbit.

My issue is there's loads of sign of them but I can't ever see any through the nv... saw 2 the other day but the damage suggests Atleast another 20. Same as the foot prints in the sand, loads of them.i have shot over 100 in the last year or so though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...