Dog attacked

the hitman

Hi Folks

Just thought I would pass on an incident that happened to my cocker yesterday.

At 7am while walking the dog, I turned a corner and met a lady with a bull terrier type dog, she seen my dog panicked and shouted " quick my dog doesn't like other dogs. Straight away her dog latched onto my dog by the neck, I had to sit on it's back and try to open its mouth. My dog was screaming, and after about a minute I managed to get my dog free. She put her dog on the lead and I got her details as I was going to report it to the police.

Because my hands were cut on its teeth, the police were going to take action.

My dog is thankful ok but very shaken, and not keen to leave the house.

I have a shoot on Saturday and hopefully he will be ok.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to a dog.

Hitman

Edited by the hitman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was once walking my pooch grantedly i had ,had a beer or 2, i stumbled and the dog got away, he usually comes to call but nothing was stopping him running to the other dog also not on a lead but never has been, two dogs start fighting, like a complete plank i dived into the middle to stop them only to find the owner and his pal were quite happy to repeatedly kick me whislt separating the dogs, how heroic these chaps were. managed to withstand the initial barrage and get to my feet only to see 2 middle age men who you'd nod to in the pub, I expected youths and yobs!! dogs were fine by the way.

Hi Folks

Just thought I would pass on an incident that happened to my cocker yesterday.

At 7am while walking the dog, I turned a corner and met a lady with a bull terrier type dog, she seen my dog panicked and shouted " quick my dog doesn't like other dogs. Straight away her dog latched onto my dog by the neck, I had to sit on it's back and try to open its mouth. My dog was screaming, and after about a minute I managed to get my dog free. She put her dog on the lead and I got her details as I was going to report it to the police.

Because my hands were cut on its teeth, the police were going to take action.

My dog is thankful ok but very shaken, and not keen to leave the house.

I have a shoot on Saturday and hopefully he will be ok.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to a dog.

Hitman

Was your dog on a lead ? That could decide the out come of this.

No my dog wasn't on a lead.

The police said that her dog was out of control in a public place, and therefore at fault.

When I was wrestling with her dog , she was standing back crying and saying "I'm sorry " over and over.

I think this dog as some previous, but hopefully the police will have educated her to use a muzzle & lead at all times.

My Sister was out with her mini schnauzer on the lead. A staffy type came up and attacked him and bit his neck started yanking on his ear which started to tear. My Sister got badly bitten trying to defend her dog and drive the staffy away.

Eventually she drove it away. No owners around no collar on it. My sister needed stiches in her arm and her dog needed his ear stiched on and neck stiched up.

They never found the staffy.

Two years later her schnauzer deveoped cancer on his neck on the site of the old injury.

He had the growth removed but it returned and had spread, so they lost him at only six years old.

No my dog wasn't on a lead.

The police said that her dog was out of control in a public place, and therefore at fault.

When I was wrestling with her dog , she was standing back crying and saying "I'm sorry " over and over.

I think this dog as some previous, but hopefully the police will have educated her to use a muzzle & lead at all times.

I've just gone through this but not dog on dog but dog on person. As my dog was on a lead it wasnt classed as a dangerous dog. The police can insist the dog is made to be on a lead but they cannot insist on it being muzzled only a judge can insist on that. Police and solicitors were involved in my case and no further action was taken as my dog was on a lead.The injury was quite a nasty one so as your dog was off the lead also I would say 50/50 just be thankful no dogs were badly hurt.

This is one of my injuries of a whippet attacking me and my dog, it wasn't on lead so owner was cautioned for owning a dog dangerously out of control

IMG_0097_1.jpg

IMG_0098_1.jpg

Edited by Luckyshot

A was walking past a house with my dog a Northan inuit the front door was left open as we walked past a staffy type dog ran out and latched onto his side he managed to get it off and made a right mess off the staffy he never forgot that every time we walked past he was ready for more a lost him to old age about 3 years ago still a big miss

I know it might sound a tad harsh.

If your dog is attacked expect to get bitten,,

Grab the offending dogs back legs and pull them apart widely,,it will let go your dog,but as said it will turn on you,,if you can keep hold of this nutter with teeth,sling it as far as you can..

I've never tried it but have been told that sticking a finger where the sun don't shine will cause a dog to let go of something it's latched on to and is alleged to be a very reliable method, like I said not from personal experience so if anyone is unfortunate enough to have to try it, good luck.

I met two blokes on Sunday, my dog was put on her lead as they walked towards me with three standard poodles. One was being very aggressive towards me and my dog. When I bluntly told the guy he could buy a lead from a pound shop or grab his dog and **** off he got rather up set. When I then informed him that my dog was on a lead and he had three dogs running loose and if he cared to call the police from my phone regarding my behaviour he gladly could.

I have had four GSDs and three Akitas. Smallest was 85 pounds - largest 10 stone. Getting attacked wasn't common-place, but happened about 10 times. My dogs were always on a lead and attacked by dogs running loose. Oddly, with the GSDs it was always the smallest, (a bitch) who got attacked. With the Akitas it was the ten stone male who got attacked.

The outcome was always the same - the attackers got a pasting. On a couple of occasions, I was bitten by the attacking dog, who I was trying to save from further punishment. Did I get any thanks - not a chance. Did I get abuse - plenty.

Sadly, the owners of these dogs tended to judge guilt by the state of their dog, rather than their own stupidity for letting such dogs run loose.

i had a jack russel that would attack my springer and any other dog it took a fancy to,,,it made my springer that way that any dog that comes close and tries to sniff she will attack it,if she doesn,t know it,so while she is a good working dog and will not aproach any other dogs i have to be on my guard to others that are loose and come bounding up to her cos i know she will give it a pasting.

i had a jack russel that would attack my springer and any other dog it took a fancy to,,,it made my springer that way that any dog that comes close and tries to sniff she will attack it,if she doesn,t know it,so while she is a good working dog and will not aproach any other dogs i have to be on my guard to others that are loose and come bounding up to her cos i know she will give it a pasting.

In which case,if you know it will attack other dogs,it should be muzzled..

In summer this year I was walking my Labrador, and Staffie with my wife on the footpath up to the farm where I have permission. I had the lab on a lead and the wife had the staf on a lead. I was just going to tell her to let her off when I saw a couple of dogs briefly in the distance so told her to keep her on the lead. Then the smaller of the dogs came running up to mine, the woman shouted at her fella to grab the other one quickly! Next thing all hell broke loose and the smaller of the two dogs which was also a staffy latched on to my dogs nose and proceeded to shake and tear it. Both the owner and I had our hands in between them trying to prise them apart and it let go while she dragged it off. Then the stupid cow let it go again and it attacked mine again. This time grabbing hold of her ear and ripping it to shreds. I honestly thought it was going to rip it off. My wife shouted at me to grab the other dog round the throats and choke it out. Which I did and as it began to lose consciousness it let go and she got it on a lead. This all happened in a matter of seconds and whilst I'm not proud of maybe hurting her dog. Mine come first!!! My dog passed out, the wife was screaming and crying. I had blood everywhere from where I'd been bitten. The owners comment "good job it wasn't the big one he should have a muzzle on as he doesn't like other dogs" whilst mine was being attacked she never made a single sound, never growled, showed it's teeth, cryed out, nothing! I told the wife to carry our dog out of the way and call the vets whilst I got some details off them. Details noted, I gave them a piece of my mind and run back home. 16 stitches later and £250 out of pocket. She was

a bit subdued but ok. I rang the police and a wpc came to see us and gave us 2 options. Take them to court or take out a VCO order against them. Taking them to court would mean the dog would probably be destroyed. The VCO order would mean that when the dog was excercised it had to be on a lead and muzzled at all times!! We went down that route and we were happy with our decision. Fast forward 2 months I'm walking on my permission and there she is on the lane with the dog and no muzzle. She saw me and ran off down the road whilst I'm shouting where's it's muzzle and then I hear from a neighbour it attacked another dog ripping it's throat. Almost wished I'd taken the court route now!

Sorry if it was a bit long winded 😕

Dogs do what dogs do; they fight. Especially male on male.

It is a very natural thing for them to show who's boss but we try too much to humanise them.

I've got a 8 stone GSD and he rarely likes other male dogs,unless they are neutered, so I'm always anticipating my route to see if there are other dogs around before I let him off the lead.

Unfortunately there's always the chance you get taken by surprise and two dogs meet and start a brawl, but mostly it's more growling than really injuring.

It happened to me about 2 times when my GSD was still very immature and a bit unpredictable, but nowadays he learned to stop and wait for me when he spots another dog.

I'm not sure if I would just jump inbetween my GSD and another dog whilst they're fighting, not with the set of gnashers he's got!

Apparently pull the front legs apart enough and the ribcage breaks and can peirce the heart, but that might be an old wives tale, also sticking your finger up the attacking dogs choccy starfish makes them let go, anybody who tries that please let me know how it goes :-) the best one is to throw your coat over your own dog as it is being attacked and the attackers will grab onto the coat and shake it giving you time.to act. Personally I carry a Swiss army knife that I wouldn't hesitate to use on any out of control dog that attacked mine

Dogs do what dogs do; they fight. Especially male on male.

It is a very natural thing for them to show who's boss but we try too much to humanise them.

I've got a 8 stone GSD and he rarely likes other male dogs,unless they are neutered, so I'm always anticipating my route to see if there are other dogs around before I let him off the lead.

Unfortunately there's always the chance you get taken by surprise and two dogs meet and start a brawl, but mostly it's more growling than really injuring.

It happened to me about 2 times when my GSD was still very immature and a bit unpredictable, but nowadays he learned to stop and wait for me when he spots another dog.

I'm not sure if I would just jump inbetween my GSD and another dog whilst they're fighting, not with the set of gnashers he's got!

It simply should not be off the lead.

This is why you see a lot of owners walking with a stout stick (blackthorn is best)

My dog wouldn't hurt a fly and if a dog comes running in it will get a warning swipe.

If it grabs my dog I will knock it unconscious.

As above I carry a swiss army knife and would use it to save my dog( who is 13 years old this month.)

Just to add....A dog that does not come back when you shout it,is not your dog.......You are his dog

I unfortunately had something similar with a friend. We were out walking, I had my 2 gsds and he has his 2 gsds. Walking along with the dogs charging about in front us 2 behind and the girlfriends trailing behind his dog turns and snaps at mine. Carried on walking and his dog goes to bite mine. Mine grabbed his nose and shook it causing a bloody mess letting go as soon as I got to them. His dog tried snapping again however we had them on leads by now. He then tried going for my other dog (smaller bitch a bit younger) however she managed to get away with him being on a lead. We walked together once a week other so and this was out of the blue. Apparently he had been a bit of an **** since the last walk. They think it was his age and dominance. Unfortunately he picked a 50kg Shepherd to try it with who spent nearly an entire year fighting with his sister and brother (walked them together daily) they actually said though there glad he got knocked down a peg or 2 and his nose healed without going to the vets. We do a lot of organised walks with between 5-25 other dogs and only had 1 incident where a whippet was trying to bite him however he didn't retaliate other than a snarl. Surprise surprise the woman who owned the whippet then started shouting at me for allowing my dog to snarl at a dog that was going for him? Work that out... the whippet has since been banned from the walks due to it being aggressive and attacking 3 dogs on separate occasions. The only time he snaps is when another dog tryst getting his food, girlfriends Shepherd found that out the hard way. To the OP, hope your dog is OK 👍