Dog attacked

the hitman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why you see a lot of owners walking with a stout stick (blackthorn is best)

Just to add....A dog that does not come back when you shout it,is not your dog.......You are his dog

Agree with this. Don't like the idea of the knife.

Always walk with a stick. There is no way I'd be putting my fingers/hands anywhere near fighting dogs, but I would not hesitate to render the attacker incapacitated.

Coming from Harold Hill, I have a staffie,(its compulsory) He is on his lead at all times not because he is aggressive, far from it he is a soft as **** but suffers badly from his addiction to footballs.

He has had many a scuffle with other dogs, mainly Jack Russels, he usually gives a growl and a snarl or two and the attacking dog backs off.

Once however he came face to face with a dog de Bordeaux who promptly over powered him and pinned him to the ground and proceeded to shake him quite violently. Out of my pocket comes my trusty Jiff Lemon a couple of blasts in the offending dogs eyes and my dog was free and to be honest itching to have a go back but thats a staffie for you, and the other dog screaming and running off blindly and crashing into the nearest post box, I then turn on the owner.

Not proud of this method but it works everytime.with no lasting effects on the other dog, maybe a headache.

In fairness to hawkfanz, I think he means that his dog will attack to defend itself against any dog that comes running up to it.

In his shoes, I would resent being told to muzzle a dog which is minding its own business.

your quite right gordon my dog has been attacked loads of times,and she only defends herself when they come running in to her,she will not approach another dog,,when i went to gundog training classes the trainer stated"do not let your dog go sniffing other dogs,its not ettiquet,

In which case,if you know it will attack other dogs,it should be muzzled..

why should i muzzle my springer,when its the other dogs that come charging up to her and there owners are 100 yards away,its them that are wrong not me,mine dog is under control,there not.

why should i muzzle my springer,when its the other dogs that come charging up to her and there owners are 100 yards away,its them that are wrong not me,mine dog is under control,there not.

Must admit if i was in ur shoes i would be muzzling my dog just to give me piece of mind. (Althou i'd probably have put the JR to sleep before my spaniel got that far, no time for aggressive dogs and would not tolerate 1)

I see where ur coming from thou, but its a bit like drinking with a mate who punches every stranger that comes up to him, i doubt u'd drink with him for very long as u'd always be on edge and u'd soon get sick of it.

Granted all dogs should be under control and not run up behind other dogs, but in life that happens. It doesn not mean the dog is being attacked and has to defend itself

The thing i was always told was always split fighting dogs up with ur feet, if u go in with hands u will get bit.

Mind quite a few years ago 1 keepers day, 1 black lab was always an ill natured ******, it was older and must have suused it was the end of the season over the 3 days it done 8 different dogs, just went round settling scores.

It was a bad tempered dog and the worst thing is his young pup was kenneled with it and had a fair few pastings so now is equally as bad tempered, takes a lot of enjoyment out of a shoot day when u constantly have to watch where ur dogs is, esp if u have to drive 1 of the beaters wagons and ur dogs are in the back

I take it you shoot on your own as such a dog would not be welcome on a shoot day, I feel for you as such a dog should not be allowed to behave in such a manner.

I take it you shoot on your own as such a dog would not be welcome on a shoot day,

I agree that this is probably the case.

I feel for you as such a dog should not be allowed to behave in such a manner.

I am almost at a loss for words. Perhaps the dogs running up to hawkfanz's dog should not behave in that manner - problem solved.

Edited by Gordon R

Another reason why dogs should be on licence, like FAC,if you don't have a good-valid reason to have own or use one you wouldn't be able to get one. I have two dogs,used for beating picking up and wildfowling. If I couldn't use one I wouldn't buy one.This my opinion on the matter.

You got to be kidding writing down this drivel!

There is a common theme going on, put your hands in a dog fight and you will get bitten.

The best place to grab an offending dog is the scruff. If you can hold them they can't bite you, then you can start beating, kicking whatever you fancy to get it off your dog.

One of my Gwp' has the occasional dislike to a dog that growls at her. Just means she stays on the lead more and I am careful where I walk. If a dog runs up and starts it usually gets a le chameau in the nose and I keep mine behind me.

If hawkfanz muzzles his dog it will be unable to defend itself if attacked. I seriously worry about some of the advice dished out so freely, without being thought through.

But by the sound of it, its not being attacked but will attack without any warning regularly.

Fair play to him for having enough sense to keep it on a lead, if it was only occasionally i'd be more iclined to follow al4x above but if it is doing it regularly i would be putting it in a muzzle for my own piece of mind and I would defend the dog if or before it was actually attacked (foot or stick not hands)

I would hazard a guess thats why springer has the problem in 1st place, if it was protected from being battered by the JR it would never have needed to adopt the bite first mentaiity

Ur right other folk should have there dogs on a lead under control but in the real world they don't and most don't have a clue, and blame usually rests with the winner no matter wot the loser was doing..

While ur dog being on a lead splattering dogs may mean ur ok legally, i personally would not feel morally ok if my dog splattered some kids young pup that just came up for a sniff

I think the point is that dogs off the lead, running up to someone else's dog (which is on a lead), has to take what it gets.

When other dogs came running up to my dogs - when it first happened - I never considered they would attack - I thought they had friendly intentions, albeit their owners were idiots. Sadly, when it all kicks off, it's a bit late to start wondering what those intentions really were.

I had no moral qualms about my dogs being attacked and defending themselves.

I think the point is that dogs off the lead, running up to someone else's dog (which is on a lead), has to take what it gets.

When other dogs came running up to my dogs - when it first happened - I never considered they would attack - I thought they had friendly intentions, albeit their owners were idiots. Sadly, when it all kicks off, it's a bit late to start wondering what those intentions really were.

Sums it up quite well imo

I'm of the same persuasion that if dogs are off the lead they might be friendly enough to be off the lead. I let my GSD off the lead wherever there are no other dogs or other animals about.

As sson as I see someone else with a dog he goes on the lead,because he is still a dog and can be unpredictable sometimes of how he will react to other dogs. What I don't get is that when people see me putting my dog on the lead they just keep coming towards me with their dog(s) off the lead mostly saying 'my dogs are ok' . Yeah, yours might be but mine can not be so friendly when you let yours walking up to mine to have a sniff. And then mostly when a fight erupts between a yappy- too brave for its own good- terrier it's my dog who gets the blame because 'he's so much bigger' .

Accidents and incidents will happen but if every dog owner would be more considerate and responsible and put their dogs on a leash when other are around then we wouldn't have such heated debates about it all the time.

I'm of the same persuasion that if dogs are off the lead they might be friendly enough to be off the lead. I let my GSD off the lead wherever there are no other dogs or other animals about.

As sson as I see someone else with a dog he goes on the lead,because he is still a dog and can be unpredictable sometimes of how he will react to other dogs. What I don't get is that when people see me putting my dog on the lead they just keep coming towards me with their dog(s) off the lead mostly saying 'my dogs are ok' . Yeah, yours might be but mine can not be so friendly when you let yours walking up to mine to have a sniff. And then mostly when a fight erupts between a yappy- too brave for its own good- terrier it's my dog who gets the blame because 'he's so much bigger' .

Accidents and incidents will happen but if every dog owner would be more considerate and responsible and put their dogs on a leash when other are around then we wouldn't have such heated debates about it all the time.

I would say if yours aren't friendly it shouldn't be off the lead at all unless it's in an enclosed area that it cant escape from. If it won't listen to you when other dogs are around and attacks them, what happens if a dog unexpectedly appears. Unless I've misread your post and am missing something of course?

I would say if yours aren't friendly it shouldn't be off the lead at all unless it's in an enclosed area that it cant escape from. If it won't listen to you when other dogs are around and attacks them, what happens if a dog unexpectedly appears. Unless I've misread your post and am missing something of course?

Well now, English is not my first language but I didn't think my post was too difficult to interpret.