Dog attacked

the hitman

Well then I don't think it's a good idea to let an unpredictable aggressive german shepherd off the lead. Sounds like some dog training is in order

I don't expect you to have an Oxford degree in literature ,but can you please read my post again ? I am the responsible dog owner putting his dog on a lead when I see other dogs approach in case dogs behave like dogs. I expect the other owner to do the same. Any dog on a lead feels vulnerable when he is tethered and the other isn't regardless the size of either dog! But when mine is on a lead and feeling vulnerable when the other isn't under control and a fight starts anyway, you can bet I will let go of the lead so my dog

has a chance to defend himself. My GSD is not aggressive at all but like us humans dogs don't like everybody they meet..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misquote of the year and it's only January. :hmm::no:

It's not a mis quote, it's advice if you've a dog that you need to keep on a lead near other dogs as (and I quote) it'can be unpredictable sometimes' I would say you shouldn't be letting it off in public untill it's been rehabilitated, what happens when a child walking their spaniel turns up unexpectedly and the child gets bitten?

When people say thet wouldn't put up with a aggressive dog what is aggressive ?? My male lab has the best temperament you could ask for around people but when it comes to male dogs he lets of this deep rumble and it's very embarrassing ! He's doesn't attack but growls !! I can not for the life of me get it out of him but I'd never get rid of him for that, any ideas whilst I'm on with it !!!

When people say thet wouldn't put up with a aggressive dog what is aggressive ?? My male lab has the best temperament you could ask for around people but when it comes to male dogs he lets of this deep rumble and it's very embarrassing ! He's doesn't attack but growls !! I can not for the life of me get it out of him but I'd never get rid of him for that, any ideas whilst I'm on with it !!!

It's helpful to know why he's doing it for a start, I.e fear, aggression, dominance etc? And no I wouldn't get rid of a dog like that either Edited by 12gauge82

It's helpful to know why he's doing it for a start, I.e fear, aggression, dominance etc? And no I wouldn't get rid of a dog like that either

I think it's a fear thing, he was chased as a pup around a a field by a dog and I think it started there, I think I'm getting somewhere then he will get a ####ing off another dog again ! Then it's back to square one !!

Edited by Royboy

I think it's a fear thing, he was chased as a pup around a a field by a dog and I think it started there, I think I'm getting somewhere then he will get a ####ing off another dog again ! Then it's back to square one !!

I'd get a lesson of a decent dog trainer/behaviourist and see wot they say about it.

In theory if u are the pack leader the dogs should be looking to u as pack leader to protect them and if u don't they will have to learn to protect themselves.

Dunno if u ever watch that dog whisper programme from usa? But some of the dogs he seems to rehabilate is quite unbelieveable so it can be done.

Often if u get nervous when u see a dog coming ur dog will also feel it and become nervous and more likely to bite out of fear.

Depends how bad it is but i possibly would get rid of a dog like that, not much good to me.

While u can never trust any dog 100%, i need my dogs to be sociable and trustworthy at all times, or atleast 99% trustworthy.

But mibee i'm lucky the places i walk my dogs and the shoots i go to not many aggressive dogs left and the few that are have felt my toes/stick before they got to close

I'd get a lesson of a decent dog trainer/behaviourist and see wot they say about it.

In theory if u are the pack leader the dogs should be looking to u as pack leader to protect them and if u don't they will have to learn to protect themselves.

Dunno if u ever watch that dog whisper programme from usa? But some of the dogs he seems to rehabilate is quite unbelieveable so it can be done.

Often if u get nervous when u see a dog coming ur dog will also feel it and become nervous and more likely to bite out of fear.

Depends how bad it is but i possibly would get rid of a dog like that, not much good to me.

While u can never trust any dog 100%, i need my dogs to be sociable and trustworthy at all times, or atleast 99% trustworthy.

But mibee i'm lucky the places i walk my dogs and the shoots i go to not many aggressive dogs left and the few that are have felt my toes/stick before they got to close

in the Dog Whisperer, he has often taken his pitbull into peoples houses where their dogs are aggressive and the pit (was the older one) never retaliates, so it can be trained out of them. I don't buy this attitude that if my dog is on a lead it can do as it pleases. If it can attack when a dog simply comes up to it then muzzle it.

in the Dog Whisperer, he has often taken his pitbull into peoples houses where their dogs are aggressive and the pit (was the older one) never retaliates, so it can be trained out of them. I don't buy this attitude that if my dog is on a lead it can do as it pleases. If it can attack when a dog simply comes up to it then muzzle it.

So in your statement of wisdom you're telling me that I have to muzzle my dog(who is not aggressive,but just doesn't like every dog ) at all times because some **** can't be bothered to put his dog on a lead? **** that!

It looks like a lot of people have no clue about dogs and their behaviour and try to reason with them or treat them like humans.

There's somebody in my neighbourhood with a grumpy Cocker Spaniel who always growls at my dog and is always off the lead. Mine doesn't react too much but if he get's too close to my dog ,who is on a lead at all times when I walk him in town, then I'll let him have him! The owner knows my dog and he also knows that his is a grumpy *******. But hey, that's alright because he's just a Cocker Spaniel and Cocker Spaniels are always cute and therefore don't necessarily be on a lead. I've learned that the smaller the dog, the lesser training they had.

A behaviourist is the way forwards, dealing with fear issues can be one of the more difficult issues to fix but it can in most cases be at least lessened to some extent if not fixed. With some retraining and positive reinforcement I'm sure you can get it over it, I'm afraid it's not something that could easily be fixed over the Internet, but you could possibly start by ensuring that the dog trusts in you as leader and then start building some distraction techniques, feed ingredients it treats and praising it as dogs come closer and closer without it reacting, so it associates other dogs with positive thoughts, the key is to do this very slowly and gently and not be tempted to push it too far, good luck.

I don't expect you to have an Oxford degree in literature ,but can you please read my post again ? I am the responsible dog owner putting his dog on a lead when I see other dogs approach in case dogs behave like dogs. I expect the other owner to do the same. Any dog on a lead feels vulnerable when he is tethered and the other isn't regardless the size of either dog! But when mine is on a lead and feeling vulnerable when the other isn't under control and a fight starts anyway, you can bet I will let go of the lead so my dog

has a chance to defend himself. My GSD is not aggressive at all but like us humans dogs don't like everybody they meet..

I've owned many GSDs over the years and it sounds like yours could do with a bit of work, maybe I'm wrong? It's just you described it as having to put it on the lead as it can be unpredictable, I would worry that one day it could attack another dog if you didn't get it on the lead quickly enough as you were surprised, and even worse if a child or person got caught in the cross fire, but maybe you haven't worded your situation quite right, I'm not having a dig at you, just hate it when I see on the news how fluffy savaged another child and the old 'it's a family dog, it never showed any problems before'.

12gauge82 - You just seem to be evading an answer, whilst worrying that others might not have worded their "situation quite right". :hmm:

Any chance of an answer about just where he called his own dog aggressive? You misquoted him, as I have pointed out. You just ignore awkward questions and move on to the next pearl of wisdom. :lol::lol:

Edited by Gordon R

12gauge82 - You just seem to be evading an answer, whilst worrying that others might not have worded their "situation quite right". :hmm:

Any chance of an answer about just where he called his own dog aggressive? You misquoted him, as I have pointed out. You just ignore awkward questions and move on to the next pearl of wisdom. :lol::lol:

Not at all, he didn't use those exact words but he stated and I quote 'because he is still a dog and can be unpredictable sometimes of how he will react to other dogs' I have to presume from unpredictable to other dogs he means some sort of aggression otherwise what does he mean? Unless he licks them excessively, which is why I stated maybe I misread I.e understood his post. Edited by 12gauge82

So in your statement of wisdom you're telling me that I have to muzzle my dog(who is not aggressive,but just doesn't like every dog ) at all times because some **** can't be bothered to put his dog on a lead? **** that!

It looks like a lot of people have no clue about dogs and their behaviour and try to reason with them or treat them like humans.

There's somebody in my neighbourhood with a grumpy Cocker Spaniel who always growls at my dog and is always off the lead. Mine doesn't react too much but if he get's too close to my dog ,who is on a lead at all times when I walk him in town, then I'll let him have him! The owner knows my dog and he also knows that his is a grumpy *******. But hey, that's alright because he's just a Cocker Spaniel and Cocker Spaniels are always cute and therefore don't necessarily be on a lead. I've learned that the smaller the dog, the lesser training they had.

I don't want to get into a spat with you, but "aggressive sometimes" isn't an excuse; If you choose to walk your dog where you know there are dogs off the lead, then yes, as a responsible dog owner you should muzzle it if shows a tendency to other dogs in his space.

I for one go to places where I can let my dog off the lead. Dogs are sociable creatures and by nature will approach each other.

Like you we all have a story, and where I used to live there was a fella who used to walk around with an Akita who would maul anything that came within reach, I don't see that as acceptable because he's on his lead! And I'm by no means suggesting your dog is anything like that!!

In short, my view is teach it manners or if that's beyond you, muzzle it.

I don't want to get into a spat with you, but "aggressive sometimes" isn't an excuse; If you choose to walk your dog where you know there are dogs off the lead, then yes, as a responsible dog owner you should muzzle it if shows a tendency to other dogs in his space.

I for one go to places where I can let my dog off the lead. Dogs are sociable creatures and by nature will approach each other.

Like you we all have a story, and where I used to live there was a fella who used to walk around with an Akita who would maul anything that came within reach, I don't see that as acceptable because he's on his lead! And I'm by no means suggesting your dog is anything like that!!

In short, my view is teach it manners or if that's beyond you, muzzle it.

So going by your wicked opinion it would be a bit like the raped woman should go to jail but not the rapist because she was wearing high heels and a short skirt and the rapist just had a bad childhood.

Again, and this will be my last say about; I know my dog. He is not aggressive at all, in fact he is as soft as butter(unless you enter my house uninvited) but he doesn't always get along with other male dogs. That's why I have him on a lead and under my control. So if a yappy Spaniel or whatever who's off the lead thinks it's ok to go up to him and growl etc, then it is at first the Spaniel's owner at fault and secondly the Spaniel himself. My dog is a dog with a dogs' behaviour and I will never ever punish him by muzzling him because some other dog owner can't take responsibility and have his dog on a lead like I have mine!

If I have to put my dog on a lead, so does everybody else, simple!

Is this really so hard to comprehent and do people still see GSD's as the devil dogs and still have that biased opinion?

So going by your wicked opinion it would be a bit like the raped woman should go to jail but not the rapist because she was wearing high heels and a short skirt and the rapist just had a bad childhood.

Again, and this will be my last say about; I know my dog. He is not aggressive at all, in fact he is as soft as butter(unless you enter my house uninvited) but he doesn't always get along with other male dogs. That's why I have him on a lead and under my control. So if a yappy Spaniel or whatever who's off the lead thinks it's ok to go up to him and growl etc, then it is at first the Spaniel's owner at fault and secondly the Spaniel himself. My dog is a dog with a dogs' behaviour and I will never ever punish him by muzzling him because some other dog owner can't take responsibility and have his dog on a lead like I have mine!

If I have to put my dog on a lead, so does everybody else, simple!

Is this really so hard to comprehent and do people still see GSD's as the devil dogs and still have that biased opinion?

Let's agree to disagree

Must admit as i sai earlier and i agree with cosd above just because ur dog is on a lead does not make it morally right to batter other dogs, not something i would be happy with and definately would try to train out of it (and its not natural or normal for dogs to fight with every male dog)

The big thing is a muzzle does not have to be a punishement, its no more a punishment than a halti lead or even a lead itself

If u acclimatise/introduce the muzzle when it associtates it with fun or walks i really don't see it being such a big deal infact some dogs might look forward to getting it on as it means a walk.

On the other side if other folk see ur dog muzzled they might be more inclined to put alead on tere dog and keep it under control as it should be

Also every friendly dog that (wrongly) approaches a dog and gets battered by these dogs on leads or off,thats far more likely to turn that dog into a less frendly bite 1st sort of dog so the circle continues and dogs in the general area will become worse.

My collie got attacked by a staffie a few years ago, ragging the hell out of her while the chav scum owner just shouted at it to let go. Fortunately I was more proactive with a swift size 11 firstly to it's knackers (dog, not chav) to make it let go and then a firm stamp onto the bloody thing's head to stop it coming back for another go. Chav scrote grabbed it and ran, leaving me 2 miles from home with a dog pumping blood from her shoulder and a £400 vet bill.

The damned thing attacked someone else's dog a few weeks later & ripped a chunk of its throat out.

Edited by Bumble

My collie got attacked by a staffie a few years ago, ragging the hell out of her while the chav scum owner just shouted at it to let go. Fortunately I was more proactive with a swift size 11 firstly to it's knackers (dog, not chav) to make it let go and then a firm stamp onto the bloody thing's head to stop it coming back for another go. Chav scrote grabbed it and ran, leaving me 2 miles from home with a dog pumping blood from her shoulder and a £400 vet bill.

The damned thing attacked someone else's dog a few weeks later & ripped a chunk of its throat out.

These people are scum, remember it's the owners and not the breed.

I had an interesting event when my springer was about 6 months old. I was out walking my dogs in a place where I hardly see anybody, both my lab, which was two at the time and my springer which was 6 months at the time, both off the lead as happy as they come bombing around playing with each other.

Next min I could hear a guy screaming to something to come back to him, I guessed it was a dog that had seen us and was coming for us. I called both mine back, my lab came to me as he was properly trained the springer saw this dog running towards him and decided he wanted to play. I could tell this dog was just going to attack, I could tell by it's body language it was intent on attacking him.

The dog just ran straight into my springer, my dog was screaming as he was terrified, they both fell into some bramble, I ran to the dogs, the owner was miles away, by now the terrier was on top of my springer grabbing it's belly, I've never heard a dog scream like I did that day, it was horrible.

I grabbed the dog by the scruff and pulled it off my dog and threw it behind me. Stupidly I thought that may have been enough. Was it hell, back it came trying to run to my dog and go for it again that's when I knew if I didn't stop it my dog would either run away never to be found again or this dog would kill it. I kicked the dog straight in the face as hard as I could, and although it did shake the dog it still got past me and on my dog again. I punched it as hard as I could in the neck which dazed it enough for my to pick my dog up, then it started jumping up on me to try and get at the dog. I carried on kicking it and ended up winding it. There was no way I was going to risk that dog getting at my dog again so as it was winded I kicked it as hard as I could a few more times to make sure it wouldn't come back at as. The dog ended up running away then the owner appeared, very apologetic etc both my lab and springer were shaking, terrified.

My springer has never recovered, he's a totally different dog now, it's directly linked to this attack, now my dog is the dog not to be trusted totally around others. When we see a dog I can see it in him that he's scared but he tries not to show it and sometimes has gone for other dogs. It took me an age to get him to have a bit of confidence with other dogs, it was working, then one day another dog snapped at him and I was back to square one.

After the attack the owner of the dog knocked my door to apologise again, as I said to him I was going to punch him if he didn't go away directly after the incident, I was absolutely livid. Anyway, he said he would pay for any vets treatment he needed etc and again apologised. I accepted his apology as my dogs were off the leads too. It would have been a different story if mine had been on the leads and the dog attacked them. If it went on any longer I was prepared to kick that dog to death, it sounds horrific, and it is, but I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't get to that but as a result I now have a dog that's not totally trustworthy. He's definitely adopted the me or them approach.

It's horrible seeing that happen to your dogs, my dog would be dead if I hadn't have intervened I'm sure of it.

I had an interesting event when my springer was about 6 months old. I was out walking my dogs in a place where I hardly see anybody, both my lab, which was two at the time and my springer which was 6 months at the time, both off the lead as happy as they come bombing around playing with each other.

Next min I could hear a guy screaming to something to come back to him, I guessed it was a dog that had seen us and was coming for us. I called both mine back, my lab came to me as he was properly trained the springer saw this dog running towards him and decided he wanted to play. I could tell this dog was just going to attack, I could tell by it's body language it was intent on attacking him.

The dog just ran straight into my springer, my dog was screaming as he was terrified, they both fell into some bramble, I ran to the dogs, the owner was miles away, by now the terrier was on top of my springer grabbing it's belly, I've never heard a dog scream like I did that day, it was horrible.

I grabbed the dog by the scruff and pulled it off my dog and threw it behind me. Stupidly I thought that may have been enough. Was it hell, back it came trying to run to my dog and go for it again that's when I knew if I didn't stop it my dog would either run away never to be found again or this dog would kill it. I kicked the dog straight in the face as hard as I could, and although it did shake the dog it still got past me and on my dog again. I punched it as hard as I could in the neck which dazed it enough for my to pick my dog up, then it started jumping up on me to try and get at the dog. I carried on kicking it and ended up winding it. There was no way I was going to risk that dog getting at my dog again so as it was winded I kicked it as hard as I could a few more times to make sure it wouldn't come back at as. The dog ended up running away then the owner appeared, very apologetic etc both my lab and springer were shaking, terrified.

My springer has never recovered, he's a totally different dog now, it's directly linked to this attack, now my dog is the dog not to be trusted totally around others. When we see a dog I can see it in him that he's scared but he tries not to show it and sometimes has gone for other dogs. It took me an age to get him to have a bit of confidence with other dogs, it was working, then one day another dog snapped at him and I was back to square one.

After the attack the owner of the dog knocked my door to apologise again, as I said to him I was going to punch him if he didn't go away directly after the incident, I was absolutely livid. Anyway, he said he would pay for any vets treatment he needed etc and again apologised. I accepted his apology as my dogs were off the leads too. It would have been a different story if mine had been on the leads and the dog attacked them. If it went on any longer I was prepared to kick that dog to death, it sounds horrific, and it is, but I believe I would have. I'm glad it didn't get to that but as a result I now have a dog that's not totally trustworthy. He's definitely adopted the me or them approach.

It's horrible seeing that happen to your dogs, my dog would be dead if I hadn't have intervened I'm sure of it.

And like someone earlier said, around and around it goes, it could be someone posting a similar story but with a toy breed after being attacked by your spaniel in future. Everyone always thinks it's not their dogs that are to blame and in fairness it's sometimes just a bad set of circumstances, mistakes do sometimes happen, but taking reasonable precautions is what being a responsible dog owner is about.

And like someone earlier said, around and around it goes, it could be someone posting a similar story but with a toy breed after being attacked by your spaniel in future. Everyone always thinks it's not their dogs that are to blame and in fairness it's sometimes just a bad set of circumstances, mistakes do sometimes happen, but taking reasonable precautions is what being a responsible dog owner is about.

Yep, of course it could. It's a vicious circle, I'll never trust my spaniel fully around other dogs now. The really bizarre thing is that when he's working he has no interest in any dogs at all, they can be working by his side and he doesn't care he doesn't even acknowledge their presence. It's not a bad thing, but I think he's so intent on hunting all the other stuff goes out of the window.