Reloading 12G Cartridges (is it really worth it)?

Hi all,

I got my shotgun just over a year ago and with a few Army friends, last year we have put a hell of a lot of lead down the range. Recently I have been buying a slab of 250 - 28g no 7 cartridges at £49.00.

I would love to reload my 250 spent cartridges using a lee load-all reloader so I can get the same load all the time.

Question 1..... Does anyone know gun shops in Glasgow I can get all my materials (wads,primers, powder, shot)?

Question 2.......would I be better of just buying 250 cartridges already loaded each time as I was told by a guy i buy my cartridges off it's a waste of time and not cost effective?

Many thanks in advance, Davie.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay cartridges are mostly more expensive when reloading but if you can make your own shot it brings the costs down a bit, dont know how the costing works out now that clay carts have gone up in price.

It is quite fun reloading and very satisfying smashing clays with your own shot!

Yes I was told that you could possibly load the same shell upto 3-5 times and I seen the homemade shell shot makers on YouTube, looks exciting stuff to have a go at.

Put it this way Dave,few years back, Loaded 1000 bismuth cartridges..

Worked it out I had saved a Magical 1/2 p on each cartridge.

Work the maths out..

To save any amount of money these days on cartridges would be a bonus, thanks subsonicnat

Glasgow Angling Centre

I tried the angling centre mate, they don't do reloading materials for cartridges, cheers

as one poster has said for game an clay shells its not worth the trouble if you want special loads ie fowling or some other dedicated load it could be worth while if you use enough carts to make it viable,i ahve had a 12g loader for 45 years but dont use it now cos its not cost effective cos i dont wildfowl anymore.

as one poster has said for game an clay shells its not worth the trouble if you want special loads ie fowling or some other dedicated load it could be worth while if you use enough carts to make it viable,i ahve had a 12g loader for 45 years but dont use it now cos its not cost effective cos i dont wildfowl anymore.

very much as above. you wont save on clay cartridges. Yes on 10s, 16s, 28s, 410s, and special loads like heavies for Fox, and non tox for Wildfowl. it can be difficult and frustrating but is a hobby in its own right

very much as above. you wont save on clay cartridges. Yes on 10s, 16s, 28s, 410s, and special loads like heavies for Fox, and non tox for Wildfowl. it can be difficult and frustrating but is a hobby in its own right

Frustrating it is, am still going to buy a second hand loader and try it a few times, so I can say I actually loaded my own cartridge.

Thanks for the posts, cheers.

I've just gone through this exact process.The costs I came up with are listed below. This will obviously vary depending on how much you buy, buying 14kg of powder saves a few pound per thousand, 5000 primers a few more pound, 50kg of shot another 10p per kilo, etc. My figures are based on a 28gram 7.5 load published on the FES Kent website.

New commercial shot old hulls - £215

Reclaimed shot old hulls - £170

New shot new hulls - £235

Reclaimed shot new hulls - £196

The above figures are based on buying 1000 primers, powder for 1000 etc so there are savings to be made immediately on those figures buy buying more.

Hope this helps.

Edited by arm3000gt

I found game cartridges were not worth loading, if trying to save money, but when loading wildfowling cartridges 3", 3.5" and big bore cartridges, you can save a lot.

Bill

this +1.

whilst the cub scout in all of us fancies it as a hobby in its own right..so why not..it wont save you money especially for clay loads.also you say so each load is the same...these days shells are very consistent...Hull/Gamebore etc spend a fortune on latest loading gear etc..for a bit of fun carry on,to save money stop now!

PS I dont reload but looked into it closely and concluded dont have the time...but I get the appeal!

As everybody has said, you won't save on clay carts. The benefit comes when you try to make a cart to suit a particular job. Reloaded carts certainly pattern far better than shop bought ones and then there is the satisfaction of that bird folding up with one of your own reloaded carts.

Be warned though, it is very addictive.

I was loading 20gauge clay shells for £80/1000 by using my homemade shot and 27gram pigeon shells for not much more.

There seems to be a premium on factory 10g, 16g, 20g, 28g .410g etc, so there may well be a saving on homeloading these, but the OP asked about 12g........for standard game and clay cartridges I cannot see how anyone can make them cheaper than they can buy them? 12g cartridges are the competitive price they are commercially, because of economies of scale! The homeloader cannot compete with this!

Just started reloading myself and was at the range yesterday. DTL was using shot from a shot maker, reclaimed hulls from our club shoot, and about 3 grains less powder than is recommended as i'm a cheap sod.

Clays broke very well and i noticed an improvement on breaks from the second barrel at range. Also the smile on my face from shooting my own shells was to me priceless, My advice would be to contact ( fruitloop ) on this forum and ask him if he has any shot makers left, buy one then get scrounging lead from wherever you can and drop your own shot.

Great fun and a very satisfying hobby

Oh saving are minimal, my shells came in at £3.95 for 25. But that's not why i chose to reload

Lastly Brexit has not fully kicked in yet with regards to pricing of products coming from Europe so i suggest hoarding of components as significant saving may be just around the corner imo.

Edited by Simuk