Reloading 12G Cartridges (is it really worth it)?

There seems to be a premium on factory 10g, 16g, 20g, 28g .410g etc, so there may well be a saving on homeloading these, but the OP asked about 12g........for standard game and clay cartridges I cannot see how anyone can make them cheaper than they can buy them? 12g cartridges are the competitive price they are commercially, because of economies of scale! The homeloader cannot compete with this!

You can quite easily if you make your own shot but only if you treat it as a hobby in its own right and don't include the time spent making them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just started reloading myself and was at the range yesterday. DTL was using shot from a shot maker, reclaimed hulls from our club shoot, and about 3 grains less powder than is recommended as i'm a cheap sod.

Clays broke very well and i noticed an improvement on breaks from the second barrel at range. Also the smile on my face from shooting my own shells was to me priceless, My advice would be to contact ( fruitloop ) on this forum and ask him if he has any shot makers left, buy one then get scrounging lead from wherever you can and drop your own shot.

Great fun and a very satisfying hobby

Oh saving are minimal, my shells came in at £3.95 for 25. But that's not why i chose to reload

Lastly Brexit has not fully kicked in yet with regards to pricing of products coming from Europe so i suggest hoarding of components as significant saving may be just around the corner imo.

That's what it is all about!

You either accept the costs and have fun shooting your own loads or tune a cartridge to your requirements in order to shoot something you can't obtain from commercial loaders.

Would love to be able to use my own reloads for my shooting. I would love to try a nice med speed 26 gram 8. Mild recoil and pretty nippy. Alas most of my shooting these days is registerd / comps and reloads are not allowed plus a lot of the grounds I shoot just won't let you use them. I've asked as to why not if just for practice. And was told it's all to do with insurance. And as far as reg and comps are concerned it's for rules of fairness.

Guest cookoff013

You can quite easily if you make your own shot but only if you treat it as a hobby in its own right and don't include the time spent making them.

+1

my hobbie is developing and testing shells. for me, ordering + buying lead shot is a no brainer.

i`m just not in it for the £. because my proof testing and development costs hundreds. i cant really say i care about the costs... thesedays i spend more on coffee than i do on shells.

+1

my hobbie is developing and testing shells. for me, ordering + buying lead shot is a no brainer.

i`m just not in it for the £. because my proof testing and development costs hundreds. i cant really say i care about the costs... thesedays i spend more on coffee than i do on shells.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do mate, not into it for the money, just for the fun reloading. I fired 100 x hull cartridges at the range yesterday - 27g no 7.5 shot and was a good kick off it, I took the emptys home so I can now get the cartridges reloaded.

+1

Hi, can I ask u where do u get your reloading materials from? Cheers Davie

Guest cookoff013

Hi, can I ask u where do u get your reloading materials from? Cheers Davie

Wherever.

I use Folkestone for everyday stuff. But I dickaround with montoxic ****. Got that o use clay and game.

* shot

For that*

Would love to be able to use my own reloads for my shooting. I would love to try a nice med speed 26 gram 8. Mild recoil and pretty nippy. Alas most of my shooting these days is registerd / comps and reloads are not allowed plus a lot of the grounds I shoot just won't let you use them. I've asked as to why not if just for practice. And was told it's all to do with insurance. And as far as reg and comps are concerned it's for rules of fairness.

Steve I have been using homeloads for practice at orston and Nottingham for 25 years

Steve I have been using homeloads for practice at orston and Nottingham for 25 years

I know dean that's why I said a lot of the grounds I use 😜

That said orston is the only place I can use them for practice. But they sell comp x 28 gram for £165 a thou. So for the time being I'm on a winner using them from a cost point of view.

And to be honest I really have fallen for the comp x shells I think there magic.

Next time I see you dean can I grab a hand full off you and give them a bash. Would be really interested to see what I'm missing out on.

They are using the insurance as an excuse.

Ask to the ground owner to see the insurance document and the paragraph that excludes home loads, as I have yet to see one that goes down to that detail specifying what cartridges or ammo can or cannot be used. Next they will tell you the insurance only allows eley to be used.

Shooting is a safe sport and home loads have been used since day one accidents are very rare who ever makes the cartridges.

Even the military paper work to shoot on crown ranges or what was as most are now managed by private companies acknowledges that home loads are permitted.

Edited by rbrowning2

They are using the insurance as an excuse.

Ask to the ground owner to see the insurance document and the paragraph that excludes home loads, as I have yet to see one that goes down to that detail specifying what cartridges or ammo can or cannot be used. Next they will tell you the insurance only allows eley to be used.

Shooting is a safe sport and home loads have been used since day one accidents are very rare who ever makes the cartridges.

Even the military paper work to shoot on crown ranges or what was as most are now managed by private companies acknowledges that home loads are permitted.

You know it. I know it. We all know it's just excuses. I have had had lots and lots of duff shells that have been made by so called top company's. I'm quite sure that a decent reload would be just as reliable. But in my experience you can only question the clay grounds reasoning so far until you get to the point of just being a pain in the bum I spose.

Keep your fired cases and empty boxes and reload them

That's fine for practice ( if your ground allows the use of reloads ) however it's against the rules if your shooting registered.

How on earth are they going to find out?.

Can they stop us using HP ammo too?

It's quite a farce.

This is a cut and paste out of the CPSA rule book for reg shoots. National and country championships. ....... please note the last section in perticular

AMMUNITION

2.47 2.47 The length of the cartridge, before being fired, is not to exceed the maximum length specifed for the discipline being shot. Cartridges must be of normal loading with no internal changes, and shall not exceed 28 grams of shot. (For ISSF and FITASC disciplines different rules apply, see current rulebooks.)

2.48 The shot shall be spherical shot of normal production and no larger than 2.6mm in diameter (English size 6): plated shot may be used.

2.49 Home load, black powder and tracer cartridges may not be used. The Referee may at any time take un fired cartridge(s) out of a shooters gun for examination and analysis. Any competitor found using prohibited cartridge(s) will be liable to disqualifcation

Hope that clears that up

The rules are there for fareness.

Edited by stevo

That's because they know are home loads are superiors and they are all in together cpsa cartridge manufacture for the money, scratching each other's back.

How on earth do you figure that ??? One thing this thread has proven is that for clay shooting there is NO money to be saved by reloading

One of the main reasons it is imposed is quite simply because there will always be someone out there willing to cheat. Myself and EVERY other person I have ever shot with in competion share the same goal. We want to win. But we all want to do it on a level playing feild. Else it means nothing.

How would you feel if you was shooting a comp that you have spent a lot of time and money and effort on to be able to do your best. Only to find the person who won it was using 32 gm homeload of whatever when the rules state 28 gram max.

When the rules are not clear cut. Some just can't help themselves

Superior not cheaper, and yes potential to cheat is their but if they do as they say and check cartridges then they should find the cheats.

I agree cheating is a big problem in sport these days at it appears to be widespread in all sports.

If they wanted to allow home loads I am sure a process could be found via checking each competitor at random, before and during the competition all be it a lot of work.

But how can you be sure a sponsored shooter is using the same load as actually sold to the public after all the more wins the brand gets the better for the brand.

If you want utopia re level playing field then all competitors should have to use the same cartridges?

Out if interest when did you last or see anybody have a cartridge checked during a competition?i

Apologies to op as we hijack topic.

Edited by rbrowning2

Out if interest when did you last or see anybody have a cartridge checked during a competition?

Only once. About 18 months ago but it turned out fine. Apart from that nothing. But that's because people know the rules and just don't bother using home loads

As for superior ..... I'm not convinced

You may very well make some good batches granted. But I will be willing to bet good money that if you was to make 10 k of your chosen homeload to the same spec as My 10 k from my chosen manufacturer mine would be a lot more consistent from start to finish.

18 months hardly a regular occurrence then at competitions, probably because they think we are all honest people given the process to get a gun certificate. But is that really often enough or does it demonstrate complacency?

I bet I could reload a cartridge which would be to a quality that would be difficult for the unsuspecting and untrained ref to spot as a reload. Using the quality of the crimp as a benchmark then their is often great variation in appearances/quality with commercial cartridges, something a home loader looks out for. I have a collection of such poor comercial cartridges by so called top brands.

As for loading 10k and comparing consistency you are probably correct as 10k would be a marothon reloading session

18 months hardly a regular occurrence then at competitions, probably because they think we are all honest people given the process to get a gun certificate. But is that really often enough or does it demonstrate complacency?

I bet I could reload a cartridge which would be to a quality that would be difficult for the unsuspecting and untrained ref to spot as a reload. Using the quality of the crimp as a benchmark then their is often great variation in appearances/quality with commercial cartridges, something a home loader looks out for. I have a collection of such poor comercial cartridges by so called top brands.

As for loading 10k and comparing consistency you are probably correct as 10k would be a marothon reloading session

At the end of the day these are the rules. If people don't like it then don't do it. It real is as simple as that. The rules are put in place for fareness. Not some twilight zone conspiracy theory that the CPSA is out to get us shooters haha

If you was to get a dozen top shooters from each disaplin and put a range of top clay shells along with some top homelands for them to chose from .... I rekon the homeloads would be put back in the van at the end of the day.

This is just a stupid tit for tat argument that you can't win as the rules are the rules and neither me or you can change that. Just a case of if you willing to play buy them.