Reloading 12G Cartridges (is it really worth it)?

It's just my own opinion I patterned them at pinewood and they gave me out of my gun a tighter pattern and the lead is a lot less on my carts than shop bought carts and the clays turned to dust what more could anyone ask for it could be csycological but if my scores have gone up a lot I don't mind at all

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

Small batch home loads will always be better than factory as they will be more consistent.

This used to be a friendly helpful site......

it still is....

some homeloads are rubbish, because the recipe is rubbish....

this is a fantastic resource, but it is a media and is accessable by the public of all experiences, thats what most people should realise, thats what they sign up to.

i love it as a medium but it wears my patience thin sometimes. but thats tinternet.

• 2 weeks later...

Savings can be made if you use recycled shot, buy your wads in bulk (5000), and keep an eye on what is going through the gun auctions in primers, powder etc.....and when you do find something, buy it all! Prices never come down, so what is bought at, or near market price today, is a bargain a couple of years down the line. When it was clear some years ago, that world lead prices were climbing, due to Chinese industry, I bought, along with a couple of reloading pals, a ton of 7 shot..... at less than half of todays prices. Whilst cartridge manufacturers might balk at supplying the individual, a bulk buy, by a organised club might reap dividends. It,s not that long ago when both Lyalvale, and Gamebore, sold components....

Americans love reloading shells, but the amount of exploded barrels and missing thumbs/fingers I've seen on US forums has made me think that it's not worth the aggro.

Is this because of inexperience and wrong equipment as everyone of the videos I watch on YouTube using lee load all equipment has not got a high failure rate?

Guest cookoff013

Americans love reloading shells, but the amount of exploded barrels and missing thumbs/fingers I've seen on US forums has made me think that it's not worth the aggro.

Maybe you should also see the manufacturer failures. I once had an incident with a factory shell that really scared me. Hangfire very late. Shell ejected on fire.

-ejected and fire simultaneously.

Is this because of inexperience and wrong equipment as everyone of the videos I watch on YouTube using lee load all equipment has not got a high failure rate?

I spend a lot of time on US forums, and have yet to see this..............perhaps you could provide a link? You would struggle to find anyone on here who has suffered a missing digit.................I,ve been loading for 40 years, and have yet to meet someone who has suffered this.

I spend a lot of time on US forums, and have yet to see this..............perhaps you could provide a link? You would struggle to find anyone on here who has suffered a missing digit.................I,ve been loading for 40 years, and have yet to meet someone who has suffered this.

I would also like to see this link.

Savings can be made if you use recycled shot, buy your wads in bulk (5000), and keep an eye on what is going through the gun auctions in primers, powder etc.....and when you do find something, buy it all! Prices never come down, so what is bought at, or near market price today, is a bargain a couple of years down the line. When it was clear some years ago, that world lead prices were climbing, due to Chinese industry, I bought, along with a couple of reloading pals, a ton of 7 shot..... at less than half of todays prices. Whilst cartridge manufacturers might balk at supplying the individual, a bulk buy, by a organised club might reap dividends. It,s not that long ago when both Lyalvale, and Gamebore, sold components....

as above buy what you can when you can if you make your own shot for a jolly all good will save on costs however if you make a cartridge properly that kills clean you will not regret reloading and its a nice pastime anyway / reloading steel and small gauge loads you save money / 12 gauge you got to do it for the love of it and , nothing compares to that high goose / duck / pheasant or partridge killed by a home load

Guys, so what is the best load to use for pheasant, no:5, 6 or 7 shot 32g maybe.

Cheers in advance Davie.

All are good, depends on how far you shoot them and early or late season. If you have mixed partridge and pheasant drives early season the 7s will be good. If not just load 30g 6s for early season and 5s in 30 or 32 gram for mid December on till end of season.

as above buy what you can when you can if you make your own shot for a jolly all good will save on costs however if you make a cartridge properly that kills clean you will not regret reloading and its a nice pastime anyway / reloading steel and small gauge loads you save money / 12 gauge you got to do it for the love of it and , nothing compares to that high goose / duck / pheasant or partridge killed by a home load

Correct!

To me it's not about saving money it about versatility to produce a cartridge that is as good if not better than factory to suit your needs be it 36gram down to 21gram it's the flexibility I like one day load for clays 28 gram 7.5 the next 30gram number 6 for pidgeon to me the cost doesn't even come into it