Sabs's Adventures 16/17

shoot and be safe

By kind invitation of reggiegun and ginger

It was an early start this day, as the arranged meeting time was 0800 at the local golf club for breakfast. With the morning weather at home being thick fog, I knew we would be cutting it fine to be there on time. We arrived shortly after 8, met the team and then sat down to a lovely breakfast.

Soon enough, we were at the shoot where the safety briefing was given and we picked pegs. I picked peg 5 and the good lady was on 7.

20170107_092027_zpsyebxcby1.jpg

It was a short stroll through the mist, to get to the pegs and we waited patiently. A couple of birds were added to the bag.

The second drive saw me over on the far side of the line which was on the quiet side, it was a pleasure to watch one of the guns on the other end of the line drop a fantastic bird.

20170107_094010_zpsw0zjxxud.jpg

On the third drive I was a walking gun. I had a few opportunities to add to the bag, but I was a little off form and only contributed to the empty shell bag.

20170107_105436_zpspsg7epxn.jpg

The fourth drive saw me standing on the top of the bank. There where a few opportunities for me and I did manage to add a cock bird to the bag. I'd finally hit one :yahoo:

20170107_105349_zpsf1xvjyjn.jpg

We then had a short break for elevenses, where the prosecco and sloe gin was passed around, along with some doughnuts.

15871994_10158042336465357_4525456511105

This gave us a chance to speak with the other guns and beaters who were all very welcoming.

The next drives were quite for my pegs but again it was a pleasure to watch the other guns shoot some great birds.

The final drive gave me a few opportunities and I did manage to add a nice hen to the bag.

20170107_134251_zpsqbvg8s7s.jpg

We all regrouped back at the vehicles where a sweepstake was taken for the number of shoots. The good lady picked the closest and took the pot.

The good lady also had a great day, standing on her own peg. Despite it being a quiet day, she added 3 birds to the bag (one more than me and for less shots :blush: ), the last one being a hen well over the tree tops on the final drive, well done sweetheart :)

I would like to thank reggiegun and ginger along with all the others involved with the shoot for welcoming the good lady and I to their shoot for the day. We both throughly enjoyed ourselves :good:

Thanks for reading

Sabs

Great write ups mate, well done. Really enjoy reading them as always and looking forward to seeing all the pics from our day on Tues!

Thanks Ollie, the PW Rover's Reunion is underway, probably be the weekend before I get chance to add the photos.

Great to catch up again, I'm all ready looking forward to next years gathering.

Back to back woodcock.

This is now the third season I have shot on one of Highbird70's days and each time I have thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I only manage to take a couple of pictures during the days, as we were either sheltering from the rain or engaged in conversation.

It was during the second drive I saw my first couple of woodcock and a hen pheasant, as a walking gun. Sadly a safe shot didn't present itself, so they flew on to see another day.

20170109_103143_zps0q62ga9t.jpg

The third drive was a snipe drive and the guns shrouded the bog. I had high hopes for this drive as it was where I shot my first snipe, last season. I wasn't disappointed and took a cracking snipe from above my peg, which helicoptered from out the sky and was picked at the end of the drive. There were a few snipe added to the bag off this drive.

Elevenses was served at the bottom of the lane where a good selection of refreshments were on offer.

During the next drive, a barn owl was flying up and down the cover. This could be the reason the drive was quiet, but it was a joy to watch such a beautiful bird in its natural environment. That's the great thing with shooting, we get to see all of mother nature's splendour when out in the fields.

20170109_122422_zpsxqfgobyu.jpg

Lunch followed back at one of the beaters' pub. A nice curry washed down with a nice glass of beer.

The last few drives were on the snipe bogs. I managed my second snipe of the day on the first of these along with the other guns who also added to the bag. A special mention must go to Highbird70 who shot 5 snipe and a long range magpie, the whole line witnessed it and a few rounds of applause were given.

The day came to a close after these drives and we reconvened back at the local pub for a swift pint. This was also where we met up for dinner later on in the evening.

Day two

Following the night before, the majority of us met for breakfast at 0730, nursing heavy heads, all self inflicted from the copious amounts of alcohol consumed the previous night.

Once checked out, we made our way to the first drive. It was during this drive I connected with my one and only woodcock for the day, that came out of the wood in front.

I had a little faux pas during the next drive, involving my hand and a barbed wire fence. It eventually stopped bleeding after a couple of hours. :oops:

Elevenses was served out in the field and again, a good offering of refreshments was passed around.

The following drive was a pheasant drive where a good number of birds were flushed.

I did manage to add a nice cock bird to the bag from this drive.

Lunch was next back at the same pub as the previous day and this time it was a full roast beef dinner.

20170109_122629_zpssj7axgrm.jpg

Just for you Fuddster ;)

The final drives were on the quiet side for me and I didn't add anything else to the bag. I did come close to a pheasant on the super bog drive but it flew on minus a tail feather.

The final drive was the same snipe bogs as where I shot my second snipe the previous day. I had a few chances of a snipe but they managed to beat me in the fading light.

One of the guns further along the line did manage to shoot the white pheasant :oops:

That concluded the two days shooting and we said our goodbyes before the drive home.

I would like to thank Highbird70 for organising the days, Bob for chauffeuring me around on the first day and all the beaters for putting in their time and a lot of effort to push the birds over us.

Thanks everyone.

All the best

Sabs

Edited by shoot and be safe

Another great write up Mark.

However, the pic of the WF was too much for me too bear-I am now sat wearing only my tweed deerstalker and muck boots, cradling the long empty gun sock that used to encapsulate my dearly departed Ford.

I miss that handsome stock and signature ping as the barrels close.

I hope your left welly leaks on your next outing.

f.

Another great write up Mark.

However, the pic of the WF was too much for me too bear-I am now sat wearing only my tweed deerstalker and muck boots, cradling the long empty gun sock that used to encapsulate my dearly departed Ford.

I miss that handsome stock and signature ping as the barrels close.

I hope your left welly leaks on your next outing.

f.

That dreaded sock thread has left my mind working overtime, especially when you are only wearing a tweed deerstalker and muck boots, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rest assured I also admire the wood on the stock, it is beautiful.

Ps, neither of my wellies leaked on my last outing :P

All the best mate, I'll look after it for you :good:

PW Rover's Reunion.

Where do I start?

This day has been in the making for over 12 months, after Jdog planted the seed when we shot together last season. During the closed season Jdog put in a lot of time and effort to select the date and team for the day.

Roll on 12 months since the seed was sown and the day was almost upon us. Now the excitement was starting to set in and the panic beginning to show. Will I remember my cartridges, will they be the right ones for the choice of guns, will my tweeds be back from the dry cleaners on time ???

The plan was to travel to the shoot the day before and enjoy the 200 mile journey at a leisurely pace. A last minute phone call put pay to that as I was called into work the morning before.

We eventually set off a little after 1 and arrived with enough time to check into our lodgings, before the others called by in the taxi to take us all to the first nights bun fight.

The night before.

The venue for the evening's entertainment was a lovely local pub. With the fragrance of alcohol wafting through the still evening air, Lloydi was like a sniffer dog and took us straight to the bar. Penelope and his partner were already there, enjoying a glass of the fine selection of drinks on offer. Jdog arrived 3 minutes later with the remaining members of the team and formal introductions were made.

This had the makings of a good night as everyone was excited about the day ahead.

The conversion and banter were flowing, along with the alcohol, as we sat down for dinner. There were a few suggestions of revised rules for the day, but Jdog was having none of it, although the Edwardian rules did sound intriguing.

Once we finished our evening meal, we all raised a glass to the engagement of two of the team. Congratulations penelope and kerry. :drinks:

The evening's drinking continued until the taxi arrived around 23.30, just after we finished the bottle of Port.

The day itself

With instructions given the night before, not to arrive before 9 and you all have the post code which is all you need,aim to be there by 0915.

Post code logged in, Amy and I left our digs at 0905 on the 2 miles journey. At 0925 we met the rest of the team who had also been driving around the village for the best part of 20 minutes. We were eventually pointed in the right direction, much to the relief of Jdog who was becoming more and more anxious of our late arrival.

We loaded all we thought we would need onto the gun bus before receiving the safety briefing, shoot rules and picking of pegs. Once on the gun trailer and meandering along the country lanes, I suddenly became aware that I had left my coat back in the truck. It will be ok I thought, there isn't a frost. :/

The first drive

This was mainly a partridge drive and we were limited to only 5 birds each, in an attempt to make sure we didn't shoot the bag and be heading home too soon.

20170117_101701_zpsqe9zk16x.jpg

I believe we were all selective and shot under our quota. I know I did as I only shot 2, but I did attempt a few more as I got my eye in.

Following the drive, the first bottles of liquid refreshment had their corks popped and the sloegasms were served.

20170117_104151_zps7sewwmit.jpg

The second drive

There was a slight mishap with the position of Lloydis peg, which involved him retracing his footsteps back around a ditch. This 2 minute delay may have saved the local pigeon population from being added to the bag, but in the spirit of fairness, we all waited.

20170117_110124_zpszrxgoxbc.jpg

There were plenty of testing birds to choose from and it took a bit of willpower to not shoot at everything. The flushes just kept coming over, with taller birds in each one.

20170117_110751_zpsxhllk4zk.jpg

Little Indy enjoyed retrieving some of the fallen quarry.

20170117_111005_zpsje6enrn5.jpg

Elevenses

This consisted of a fine selection of pork pies, sausages rolls, cheese, ham, continental meats, cake, brownies and of course plenty of alcohol.

20170117_111624_zpsjyzc1swf.jpg

Soon enough we were back on the gun trailer and off to the third drive.

Third drive

With the other drives being out in the open fields, giving plenty of time to select your bird, this drive was in the trees with only a split second to see the birds.

20170117_120646_zpsaz5kxubu.jpg

I don't know if it was my shooting style or the sloegasm and port that helped me here, but the first 2 birds that broke over the tree tops, were added to the bag as a left and right with my first two shots. With this in mind, I handed the little 20b to Amy for her to show off her skills. She didn't disappoint and added a fast hen to the bag with her first shot. Amy also added another as the drive continued, before handing the gun back for me to take another.

There were some fantastic birds taken on this drive. One that sticks in my mind was a hen that the back gun took from an exceptional height. OJW also had a cracking shot.

Once the birds had been picked, we were back on the trailer heading back to the farm.

Lunch

Hot sausages, soup and all the offerings the team had brought, were laid out on the long table in the barn.

20170117_131959_zpstsn1k8v6.jpg

We chatted, ate and drank our way through the offerings, complimenting each other on the memorable shots and shooting so far.

Jdog received notification of the bag and asked if we would restrict ourselves to only 2 birds each on the last drive, as we were already over the bag.

The last drive

Once we cleared the lunch table and put everything away, we took a short stroll across the lawns and out to our pegs.

20170117_135624_zpsdc4jaf1f.jpg

With the cover being behind the trees on the bank in front of us, we all eagerly awaited the start of the drive.

With the 2 bird only restriction on this drive, nobody wanted to claim the birds and the shot bird was offered to the neighbouring gun :whistling:

20170117_140940_zpsyb0tcb7c.jpg

These birds were testing, especially the pheasants. They just kept coming higher and higher, to the point that it was just plain rude not to attempt an extra one :ninja: A truly spectacular drive from my peg.

Well that was it, the shooting was over and the birds collected. We all regrouped back at the shoot room for afternoon tea and cake, whilst the final bag was counted.

We had a quick sweepstake on the number of shots plus the bag, which was won by Neil.

Total bag 128 pheasants and partridges

With formalities completed, we headed our separate ways to rest a little before the evening meal.

Bun fight 2

This was a different pub from the previous evening.

We all regrouped around 1900 in the bar before being shown to the table.

20170117_210802_zpsgym9zwfd.jpg

The banter continued from the day as we enjoyed the excellent food. Warwick was on fine form and kept us all entertained.

Soon enough it was time for the PW Rovers to go their separate ways and best wishes were given to those who left early.

The remainder of us retired to the bar for a couple of rounds of port, followed by a couple of whiskies.

20170117_220359_zpsq2bnx2sw.jpg

Again Warwick kept us entertained, even finding himself behind the bar.

Summary

What a fantastic few days in the Lincolnshire Wolds we had, all thanks to the hard work and effort from Jdog, who organised the days for us all to enjoy.

It was great to meet up with old friends and meet some new. Great food, great shooting and great company.

Thanks to all involved for the day and hopefully see you all next season.

All the best

Mark

Thank you for posting such a fine and detailed report with excellent photos by Amy.

Next year's PW reunion will probably be back at Burnt Norton in the Cotswolds if they are prepared to give our unruly team another day there. The Seagrave Arms will make an excellent base for the festivities.

sterling report Mark-nice format with the pics and short points-very readable and thoroughly enjoyable.

well done chaps and of course chapess's.

f.

Cheers Fuddster, glad you enjoyed reading about our days away :good:

I'm should warn you that the Ford will feature in my next report ;)

Thank you for posting such a fine and detailed report with excellent photos by Amy.

Next year's PW reunion will probably be back at Burnt Norton in the Cotswolds if they are prepared to give our unruly team another day there. The Seagrave Arms will make an excellent base for the festivities.

Thanks for organising the days, both Amy and I really enjoyed ourselves.

Burnt Norton sounds good to me, keep us posted with the possible dates :good:

We should be ok. Though we may have to promise no 'early' pigeon

:ninja: Sorry :lol:

Nice reports Sabs, looks like you had a great season.

It all came good in the end, after a rocky start from being ripped off by a keeper.

I've only two more shoots to report on now, one from last Saturday and one for next. Unless something comes along that takes my fancy ;)

Catch up soon mate

Atb

Mark

It all came good in the end, after a rocky start from being ripped off by a keeper.

I've only two more shoots to report on now, one from last Saturday and one for next. Unless something comes along that takes my fancy ;)

Catch up soon mate

Atb

Mark

All's well that ends well, as they say.

See you at the charity shoot no doubt :yes:

By kind invitation of reggiegun and gingar, (2)

Having shot on reggiegun's shoot a fortnight ago, I knew what to expect and again wasn't disappointed.

Again the rendezvous was breakfast in the golf club @08.00 before the shoot briefing and picking of pegs.

I picked peg 4 this time and the order of drives were set out a little different from the previous shoot.

I had a couple of birds over my peg on the first drive,

20170121_092231_zpszfvxmjlz.jpg

including a long crossing hen which I caught the back end of. This hen was picked as the beaters pushed through for the second drive.

I added a cock of the second drive and missed the chance of another as I was reloading at the time :/

20170121_100955_zpsfr01a71g.jpg

Blackthorn's was next. A number of birds flushed over the other guns.

20170121_104948_zpsxoqphles.jpg

None over our side, but I did witness a truly spectacular shot from one of the guns further down the line. Well done sir :good:

Next we lined out for "duck wood".

20170121_111108_zpsukxyyavu.jpg

There were a few birds flushed on this drive, including a good few ducks from the pond within. I had a couple of shots at a pheasant (to no avail), but did manage a duck as it passed over my left shoulder.

It was between the previous drive and the next, that the good lady and I caught up with each other and spoke about how we were getting on. Amy was a little despondent at this point, as she thought that she had only clipped the back end of a pheasant. Paul the picker up, who was also walking along side us, mentioned that the pheasant Amy clipped dropped around 100 yards behind and one of the other beaters picked it.

After a short walk and a crossing of the stream, little Indy and I were on our peg for the next drive.

20170121_113729_zps6vxvutnf.jpg

My only opportunity on this drive was scuppered by a buzzard, that remained in the sight picture behind the pheasant as it crossed to my right.

20170121_113440_zpsgtnx5tbe.jpg

It was nice to see the different types of wildlife in the wood. A owl passed through the wood during the next drive, it didn't make any difference to the game birds, as a number of pheasants and a woodcock were added to the bag.

Lunch was next and the hedgerow royales were served.

I left my coat back in the truck for the next drives, along with my phone that was in the pocket.

There were around a dozen pheasants flushed between my neighbouring gun and myself. A safe shot was not available, but they did land in the cover for the "rough bank" drive.

On the rough bank I was a back gun, walking behind the beaters until I reached my peg. There were a few birds being flushed over the guns in front. One of the birds climbed up, past the gun that separated the good lady and I, he did squeeze off both barrels before it set its wings and glided high over Amy. Amy let off the first barrel of the little 20b clipping the hen before turning its head back with the second. I wouldn't like to guess the height of the bird, but the applause heard from the line of guns must of meant something. Even the beater on top of the bank shouted, "which chap shot that, that was a hell of a shot" :yahoo: Well done Amy, managed to show me up again (in a good way of course).

20170121_140903_zps5plqg3m3.jpg

The final drive was a short drive to the far side of the shoot.

The guns walked with the beaters until they reached their pegs. The ground here was very wet, with a little brook at the bottom.

20170121_144327_zpsayhhunuu.jpg

Sadly, only a woodcock flushed during the drive past Amy, but a safe shot didn't present itself.

The horn sounded and we headed back to the vehicles.

Now then, I should have retraced my footsteps and crossed the brook where we first crossed over. It didn't look that wide, or that deep. I made the decision to cross where I was and tested to see how deep the silt was with my stick. Ooh that's a little deep, but it's not that wide, all in a stride I thought.

WRONG.

The weeds on the far side were not as supportive as the nearside. Long story short, the silt was around 2 foot deep with the water a foot above that.

I managed to clamber out,keeping my wellies (just) and was now sporting tweeds that were pisswet through :lol: :lol: :lol:

20170121_151215_zpszavfoqav.jpg

Apart from the wet ball sack and thought of driving back in wet breeks, both Amy and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, were made to feel part of the team and had plenty of birds over us.

Thank you to reggiegun and gingar, for inviting us to your shoot. Also all the others involved with the shoot for making us welcome. Very much appreciated :good:

Thanks for reading

All the best

Sabs

appears the curse of the fuddster came true in the end and not just the left wellie getting wet.

Ford is looking very well-great to see it getting some use.

great report as usual Mark-thanks to you and Amy for reporting your sporting days out and about.

great stuff.

atb

fudds

Nice read SABS

All the best Youngie

Thanks Youngie, how's your season been and how is the dog doing now?

All's well that ends well, as they say.

See you at the charity shoot no doubt :yes:

Yes, looking forward to the charity shoot :good:

Enjoyed that. Cheers SABS :good:

Thanks Todd, how was your day today?

appears the curse of the fuddster came true in the end and not just the left wellie getting wet.

Ford is looking very well-great to see it getting some use.

great report as usual Mark-thanks to you and Amy for reporting your sporting days out and about.

great stuff.

atb

fudds

I forgot about your curse :/ yes it did come true with probably a lot effect than intended :lol:

I've been out on my last day today (report to follow in the next day or two), although the little 20 was the gun of choice for the day, the Ford did take my last 2 birds of the season as the good lady, Indy and I took a little stroll on my permission back home ;)

Thanks Todd, how was your day today?

It was a little quiet this week. We ended up giving a couple of pegs away to make up numbers in the gun line, as half of the syndicate were shooting elsewhere!

I took the little 20b with me as the wife had expressed an interest in 'having a go'. Up she steps on the first drive, and she drops a 30 yard right to left crosser (her first ever pheasant) with her first shot! With a 100% record she decided to retire for the day.

A small bag, but one that I'll remember for a long time :good:

Syndicate day 5
And last outing of the season.

Following a steady night in the pub, we arrived at the shoot room in good time and the morning coffee was served.
This was a subdued day, as for most, as it was the last day of standing on a peg for this season. We all chatted about the season we had all had and reminisced on our days away both this season and previous ones gone by. Soon enough it was time to pick our pegs, have the brief, boot up and head off to the first drive.

20170128_102309_zpsoatvaoti.jpg

The drive was on the quiet side with the majority of the birds breaking out on the far side of the wood. The guns on that side were having a few shots and got the bag underway.
I only had the one bird that presented a shot, a curling left to right pheasant over the trees 40yards in front of us. I missed with the first, had a slight issue with the gun and then dropped the bird with the second barrel.

Little Indy then picked the bird at the end of the drive and we headed back to the vehicles.

20170128_104253_zpsf403t70k.jpg

The next drive involved the guns surrounding a wood as the beaters blanked the surrounding fields in.

20170128_112314_zps9bywznig.jpg

Once the beaters were in the woods the birds started to flush at a steady pace. They were not the highest of birds, but sporting shots were taken. I only added the one from this drive which again, with another was picked by little Indy.

20170128_1138160_zpsvwwbe4yr.jpg

Elevenses was next back at the shoot room, where the corks were popped off the bottles and pork pies were handed around. A cheeky port or two were also had.

Woodcock Wood was next and the good lady took to the peg.
20170128_124256_zps4lguqvun.jpg

Sadly Amy didn't connect with the only pheasant that presented a shot, there were also a couple of woodcock that flushed from the wood in front of us and it was a joy to watch as they flew close to the ground and then lift and curl back into the wood further down the line.

The Hall drive.
During the banter, as we walked to our pegs, I did pass comment to my neighbouring gun, that I shall try to drop a bird at his feet :whistling: This came back to bite me on the backside as he did the exact same thing to me :lol: it was a pleasure to have this happen to me and we all laughed.

I was in the hot seat on this drive and added 4 birds to the bag.

20170128_130758_zpscrwatx28.jpg

Little Indy helped with the picking of the birds, before we headed back to the vehicles.

The next drive was down at the bottom of the shoot, so we drove down and then walked out to our pegs.

20170128_140119_zpsqn9cmi0h.jpg

There were some fantastic shots taken on this drive, two by my neighbour to the right, who took some birds from a great distance.
During this drive the rain and sleet started to blow past almost horizontal. My right ear was getting bombarded by the icy rain, so it was time to do my Frank Spencer impression.

20170128_141234_zpsp3kgahbs.jpg

I did manage to add a nice cock bird to the bag on this drive that landed in the wood in front.

We then headed back to the shoot room for the lunch. Once we parked up, the shoot captain noticed there were a few ducks on the field opposite. He said we may as well push them off and for the guns to line out on the lane. The birds lifted before we were all in position, but 2 were added to the bag.

Well that was it, the shooting was over and we regrouped back in the shoot room for Sheila's famous beef stew and dumplings.
The conversation and banter continued as we ate and enjoy a port or two.

Soon enough it was time for us all to say our goodbyes and we wished everyone Well for the closed season.

Both Amy and I have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on this shoot and made to feel very welcome by all who are involved with the shoot. We are both looking forward to seeing everyone again next season.

Thank you to:
Dave Snr for hosting us.
Dave Jr for putting on a great display of birds.
Sheila for the fabulous beef stew and dumpling.
All the guns in the team for making both Amy and I welcome.
All the beaters and picker ups for all the hard work and effort put in for us all.
Little Indy for picking some of my birds.
And finally the good lady for taking the pictures and standing on the pegs.

Thanks for reading
All the best
Sabs Edited by shoot and be safe