A second outing with ShotKam - Pheasant and Partridge Day

Duffryn

Duff, some cracking birds flying there...I have a tendancy to shoot up the r/h side of birds whereas you seem to slightly favour the l/h side...between us would be a reasonable shot!!..its always hard to tell on these films the true distances but these looked to be a good bunch of decent 40-50 yarders?..have you shot Lake Vyrnwy/3 valleys?...I have fond memories of both from @ 10 years ago and wonder if they are still good as a Welsh return visit is an itch I shall scratch in 2017!

all best,love the shotkam addition to your films.

Duff, some cracking birds flying there...I have a tendancy to shoot up the r/h side of birds whereas you seem to slightly favour the l/h side...between us would be a reasonable shot!!..its always hard to tell on these films the true distances but these looked to be a good bunch of decent 40-50 yarders?..have you shot Lake Vyrnwy/3 valleys?...I have fond memories of both from @ 10 years ago and wonder if they are still good as a Welsh return visit is an itch I shall scratch in 2017!

all best,love the shotkam addition to your films.

Agreed somewhere in the middle and we would both do well. I'm going to check the calibration on the ShotKam tonight I think it might be aiming a bit high. Yes nearly all the birds were over 40 yards with a good few at 55. they were shifting as well. I shot Lake Vernwy last year (cracking day- the Canadian guy is a great host). check out Delbury as well. I understand Three Mountains is shooting well too.

Agreed somewhere in the middle and we would both do well. I'm going to check the calibration on the ShotKam tonight I think it might be aiming a bit high. Yes nearly all the birds were over 40 yards with a good few at 55. they were shifting as well. I shot Lake Vernwy last year (cracking day- the Canadian guy is a great host). check out Delbury as well. I understand Three Mountains is shooting well too.

old big hair Brian!...quite a character,I believe he was left a fortune some 20 years ago and bought LV hotel/estate for a 'bit of fun'..IS Robert Jones still the main man down there?I recall he owned/ran 3 valleys/long mountain etc?..I have a big birthday coming up so will be having a back to back @ LV in 2017.....cant wait...you are to blame for your videos!!all best.

Excellent that you post these up. With out wishing to mess up your shooting style ! it seems that you kill some of the birds really well where you mount on the bird and the swing is accelerating? First bird in clip then 2.20 sec and 2.43 as examples where gun swing is accelerating.

Great stuff and way better than I could do!

Its a totally different view of shooting which is quite fascinating.

You shot some good birds there and without the benefit of full perspective, it was difficult to see why you missed some of the others.

In the early part of the video it did seem that the natural movement of the birds head in flight, looked as though it was looking at the red dot coming its way. :)

What we need now is some sort of guide as to when you hit a bird, or miss, with some of the shots its hard to tell.

Perhaps a bell could ring to denote a hit and a raspberry noise to denote a miss. :)

old big hair Brian!...quite a character,I believe he was left a fortune some 20 years ago and bought LV hotel/estate for a 'bit of fun'..IS Robert Jones still the main man down there?I recall he owned/ran 3 valleys/long mountain etc?..I have a big birthday coming up so will be having a back to back @ LV in 2017.....cant wait...you are to blame for your videos!!all best.

Robert and Wayne have some of the best shoots in the area. I'm feeling guilty about your birthday already !! Enjoy

Its a totally different view of shooting which is quite fascinating.

You shot some good birds there and without the benefit of full perspective, it was difficult to see why you missed some of the others.

In the early part of the video it did seem that the natural movement of the birds head in flight, looked as though it was looking at the red dot coming its way. :)

What we need now is some sort of guide as to when you hit a bird, or miss, with some of the shots its hard to tell.

Perhaps a bell could ring to denote a hit and a raspberry noise to denote a miss. :)

This was a fairly big day and I didn't have time to follow the birds and didn't want to use the headcam. We are on the Herefordshire Syndicate on Saturday ( smaller day) and so will have more time to use the Go Pro and Shotkam, follow the birds and then hopefully edit a video showing footage from both cameras throughout the day. I fall else fails I will use a bell and raspberry sound !

Excellent that you post these up. With out wishing to mess up your shooting style ! it seems that you kill some of the birds really well where you mount on the bird and the swing is accelerating? First bird in clip then 2.20 sec and 2.43 as examples where gun swing is accelerating.

Great stuff and way better than I could do!

Well spotted, these were higher birds and a I gave the "method" ago rather than maintained lead ( Logic says I should have kept doing this) . I might try to shoot the method the whole day on Saturday and see what happens....

Edited by Duffryn

Well spotted, these were higher birds and a I gave the "method" ago rather than maintained lead ( Logic says I should have kept doing this) . I might try to shoot the method the whole day on Saturday and see what happens....

I would if I were you ...

I never realized I used 'the method' on game until I saw my video's and analysed what was going on ... it seems to work well with helping get the right line, and gun speed is a great way to get lead.

You could also consider giving the second barrel more of a "flick" to get some gunspeed going ... on several where you missed 1st barrel, the 2nd barrel was taken with at best 'maintained lead', but the gun could also have been slowing down, and it looked like a lot of these shots were missed behind.

This is great viewing and I really appreciate the time you take on this.

Absolutely fascinating. Some birds I felt sure you would miss were hit and others when I thought you were spot on were missed.

Thanks for taking the time to edit and upload these videos.

I will not be getting one of those cameras. Most of the viewing if I had one would simply be of the red dot.

Edited by JDog