Bird Flu

djgeoff

OOPS SORRY WENT UP TWICE LOL just a question my shooting mate asked me ask on this forum as he don't do internet.

he has mate that does demonstrations / displays with birds of prey, now recently the owner of the birds lost his harris hawk, one day it was ok and the next it was dead

vet done some tests and said it had died from bird flu, now according to my mate the owner stated the only thing it had come in to contact with was a wood pigeon which lay dead and he allowed his harris hawk to have a little feed.

the other thing is there are a couple of mates also shooters that had found dead pigeon in the back garden and on examination no shot wounds were found.

my mate asked are there any other reports on that forum you use of pigeon falling from the skies? (other than than shooting them lol).

is it possible for pigeon to get bird flu?

so out of interest i thought i would ask you knowledgeable pw users.

oh and happy new year to you all

Edited by djgeoff

Apparently there's no evidence that Bird Flu is carried by Wood Pigeons, but feral pigeons are more likely to be carriers, although I don't believe that is proven..?

This disease primarily affects poultry and waterfowl.

I'm surprised that a bird of prey owner allowed his very precious bird to go anywhere near a dead Woodie laying on the ground..?

Cat

Apparently there's no evidence that Bird Flu is carried by Wood Pigeons, but feral pigeons are more likely to be carriers, although I don't believe that is proven..?

This disease primarily affects poultry and waterfowl.

I'm surprised that a bird of prey owner allowed his very precious bird to go anywhere near a dead Woodie laying on the ground..?

Cat

yeh i thought that re the feeding but i am ignorant on the flu side of things, and my mate that was telling me was not totally confident hawk owner was telling porkies or not

Any bird species CAN be infected with Avian Flu and although the main carrier and reservoir for the disease is migratory wildfowl, these host birds can and do pass the disease on to other wild birds.

So in answer to the OP, yes, there is every possibility that the POP did pick it up from the woody.

Are there any obvious signs that a bird may have the disease before it actually dies. The reason I ask is that I found what I suspected was a pricked pink foot. It wasn't able to fly away when out walking my dogs I saw it hobble into a ditch with gorse bushes so I sent one of them into retrieve it. It did not appear to have any wounds but as I did not want to leave it I duly necked it and took it home, hung it for a couple of days and then breasted it and again no apparent signs of it having been hit. Its in the freezer to be had at a later date. Should I be concerned about eating it ??

Any bird species CAN be infected with Avian Flu and although the main carrier and reservoir for the disease is migratory wildfowl, these host birds can and do pass the disease on to other wild birds.

So in answer to the OP, yes, there is every possibility that the POP did pick it up from the woody.

What evidence do you have that the disease can be carried by Woodies..?

Cat

Not sure on the carriers of the disease but did hear that shoots in Lincs had been stopped due to it?

Anyone know if thats correct?

Were in Cambs and I have a few days at the end of the month, hate to miss them due to bird flu!!

Just had a look here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#prevention-zone

There was an outbreak on a turkey farm in Lincs and the 'prevention zone' applies

Edited by masmiffy

DEFRA advising me that my poultry units should be wild bird proofed to keep all and any wild bird out, as ALL species can carry, transmit and introduce the disease.

Yes, of course they can carry it physically, as can us human beings, via contaminated bird poo on our shoes, but the original post raised the question as to whether or not the pigeon could have "got bird flu", and, from the evidence I have read, it's most unlikely that bird flu was the cause of the pigeons death..?

More info here, well worth a read and certainly not conclusive evidence that pigeons can contract and die from the disease, but perhaps the many experts on here know better..:?

http://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/pigeons-and-avian-influenza-bird-flu.html

Cat.

Yes, of course they can carry it physically, as can us human beings, via contaminated bird poo on our shoes, but the original post raised the question as to whether or not the pigeon could have "got bird flu", and, from the evidence I have read, it's most unlikely that bird flu was the cause of the pigeons death..?

More info here, well worth a read and certainly not conclusive evidence that pigeons can contract and die from the disease, but perhaps the many experts on here know better..:?

http://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/pigeons-and-avian-influenza-bird-flu.html

Cat.

very interesting cheers cat

Cat.

I don't know why you imply that I consider myself an expert, I'm hardly that having only kept poultry for 50 years.

However, during those years I have kept abreast of DEFRA advice and guidelines on the subject and can only report what they tell me.

One such snippet from a recent email of theirs stated........

"Many thousands of birds die every week of natural causes and so it is not unusual to occasionally find dead birds. If, however, you find five or more dead wild or garden birds together in the same place and you are suspicious of the cause of death, do not touch the birds and contact Defra using the details above. This is particularly important for species like waterfowl".

I can only presume, from my limited knowledge of birds, that Wood pigeons fall into this category and can therefore catch and die from the virus.

Whether you believe it or not is upto you, Your choice.

Not sure on the carriers of the disease but did hear that shoots in Lincs had been stopped due to it?

Anyone know if thats correct?

Were in Cambs and I have a few days at the end of the month, hate to miss them due to bird flu!!

Just had a look here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#prevention-zone

There was an outbreak on a turkey farm in Lincs and the 'prevention zone' applies

We have not been asked to stop wildfowling on the wash as far as i know. There was wigeon/teal found dead in the rspb reserve at frampton with bird flu. This reserve backs onto the sea wall

Cat.

Your link isn't peer reviewed or substantial or cited.

I'm not sure what angle your argument is.

DEFRA are VERY clear on what we should be doing as bird rearing people.

Wild birds include pigeon.

I work in for a feed company supplying predominantly poultry feed, we have had quite alot of info regarding this outbreak due to us supplying feed to several farms in the outbreak zone. Any bird wild or captive can contract the virus upon contact with the infection. These birds can then carry the virus and pass it on.

There are farms with chickens in the zone which should have gone to slaughter but due to restrictions they cannot be moved out of the zones to killing plants due to contamination risks

Your link isn't peer reviewed or substantial or cited.

I'm not sure what angle your argument is.

DEFRA are VERY clear on what we should be doing as bird rearing people.

Wild birds include pigeon.

Hmm...don't quite understand your comment, what does "peer reviewed or substantial or cited" actually mean..? :hmm:

If you're implying it comes from a dodgy source, then, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's a pity you don't appear able to respond to the specific points raised in the article, namely:

"Blood samples taken from 383 pigeons were also negative for antibodies, (antibodies are protective substances that are produced by the defensive network of the body in response to an infection) to avian influenza, an indication that infection by this virus had not occurred in these birds. An additional 50 pigeons, collected from within the quarantine zone, were also negative for the influenza virus. Experimental attempts made to infect pigeons with the highly pathogenic H5N2 strain of avian influenza did not result in either multiplication of the virus or any evidence of antibodies in the blood. The results of all of these studies indicated that pigeons were not infected with avian influenza and did not spread it".

If you have better quality published information on the subject, rather than vague DEFRA advice on bird rearing that is irrelevant to 99% of pigeon shooters who, of course, don't rear birds, then please share it with others on the forum, this is a serious matter that needs further informed debate, I hope we can agree on that..?

Cat.

Cat

I'm far more likely to run with caution, from the DEFRA vets for my livestock.

There is no evidence that any bird is omitted from being a vector, like I said earlier.

Caution, caution, my comments were about keeping flocks safe.

Being a science bod I'd like to see the data on this study.