Winchester SX4

WinchesterDave

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I have an SX4 - with the Mossy Oak Camo pattern, purchased new in March this year -

I part exchanged ny SX3 for it - and as others have said the Action is the same,

but there have been slight modifications to the pistol grip, a bigger Safety Button, and a bigger "Cocking Lever".

I do like it more than the SX3 ( didn't think that woud happen !) apart from this :

I had a problem with the "Cocking Lever" last weekend - while enjoyng an excellent day decoying Wood Pigeons over stubble,

and having fired around 100 cartridges, I fired all 3 shots in one go, and during that time the Cocking Lever detached and has been lost !

I can only assume that as a result of the repeated firing, it must have worked loose somehow,

and then got expelled as the Action was cycling. Of course despite LOTS of searching, I couldn't find it,

and am now waiting to hear if Winchester ( Browning ) will send a replacement under Warranty !

The design of this modified part has a bigger area to pull back on, which is good,

but has also been redesigned where it locks into the side of the Action - and no longer has the section that could be used as a "Drift"

to drive out the Trigger Guard retaining pins ( as described in the SX3 Owners Manual ). Instead it has a wider flatter section,

and I wonder if that redesign has made it less secure then the previous version ? - Hopefully not, and this is just a "one off" occurrence !

Edited by Coconut

UPDATE : I went and bought a new "Cocking Lever" - appparantly ther correct description is "Bolt Handle"

which cost me £18 at trade price, including £6 postge ( ! ), from the Dealer that I bought the gun from,

who were unable to provide the replacement under Warranty :no:

The Dealer told me that the UK suppliers only had one left in stock, from their recent delivery of five,

so there's at least another 4 owners that have found the need to replace this part recently !

( There are now NONE in stock, as they have ordered that last one,

after selling me one that was fitted into another SX4 they had for sale in their gun room ! )

Here's the thing though, on both on the SX4 that the part was taken from, and when fitted into my own SX4,

the new Bolt Handle seems remarkably "loose" when it is inserted into the slot in the side of the breech block slide,

and can be pulled back out very easily - on my previous SX3 model it took a LOT of force to pull it out !

The notch in the side of the part, that a spring loaded plunger locates into, seems very shallow,

and I believe this to be a design issue, or at best a manufacturing defect.

post-28205-0-49615000-1503750412_thumb.jpg

I also consider it to be a SAFETY ISSUE, as without the Bolt lever it is very difficult to unload the gun

without firing any cartridges that may still be loaded !

Despite multiple messages to Browning Europe ( who apparantly now own Winchester ) by email and Facebook Messenger,

they have not replied, so I am no further forward in resolving the ongoing issue, which is that even though I now have

a working gun again, I am not confident that next time I use it, the Bolt Handle won't fall out again leaving me in the same predicament !

If Browning / Winchester continue to ignore my messages, then I may have no choice other than to return the gun,

and claim a full refund under UK Consumer Law, on the grounds that the gun is not of a satisfactory quality, and is not "fit for purpose" !

Edited by Coconut

My mate had the same problem.

His gun was returned to Winchester as he'd lost his bolt handle on his first time out with a brand new gun. Winchester replaced the handle under warranty, but this is also very loose.

He now loads the gun, removes the bolt handle and carries it in his pocket, not ideal.

I was in my local dealer the other day and I was amazed at how easy the handle came out of a new SX4 they had on display.

If I was you, I'd return it to your dealer for then to send it back to Winchester.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to those who replied - and I am happy to be able to report

that this problem has now been sorted - eventually - by Browning :)

After many ignored Messages by email, Facebook Messenger and even Post,
I eventually had an acknowledgement from Browning Europe,

that they were passing my enquiry on to Browning's UK Manager.

I knew Browning would have a Stand at the Midland Game Fair,

and "suggested" I might take my gun there to show them,

and any other unsuspecting prospective purchasers,

or even any Media representatives if I didn't have any joy at their Stand !

I needn't have worried - I met David Stapley - Browning's UK Country Manager,
and we had a good long chat about the design problem.

He was "expecting me" and either already knew about this, or had researched it,

but it was good to hear him acknowledge that Browning were aware of the problem,

and already had a modification to put it right.

I left my gun with him, and it was delivered back to my local Dealer yesteday,

which is quite an impressive turn-around.

The obvious modification is to the notch where a spring loaded ball bearing / plunger locates into,

which has been made much deeper and with a more "rounded" profile for the ball bearing to latch into.
I don't know if the spring / plunger / ball bearing retaining mechanism has also been modified too.

( See Photo attached below ).

Anyway, it is now MUCH mire difficult to pull the Cocking Levr out - as it shoudl be,

and hopefully won't fall out again while using the gun !

All in all, I am now a Happy SX4 owner again, especially after being presented with a nice new

Browning Camo pattern gun slip - as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused.

If you have an SX4 with a "loose" Cocking Lever, get your local Dealer to send it off t

o Browing ( BWM Arms Ltd in the UK ), to have this modification carried out by their gunsmith.

post-28205-0-77283800-1506012176_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

ID stick something in to open the bolt be able to reload and continue shooting then pull it out to close it. Screwdriver or bottle opener on key ring or leather man.

Not doing themselves any favors not addressing this issue better. Should be posting a new modified bolt handle out to every owner free of charge and getting dealers to change the ones in stock.

ID stick something in to open the bolt be able to reload and continue shooting then pull it out to close it. Screwdriver or bottle opener on key ring or leather man.

Not doing themselves any favors not addressing this issue better. Should be posting a new modified bolt handle out to every owner free of charge and getting dealers to change the ones in stock.

He used a padlock key figgy.