Part time 4wd estate car

sandspider

Sorry, just seen the updates here.

Thanks for that, interesting. :good:

:good:

Most of my neighbours have old volvos of some sort. I thought they'd be quite good off road?

Me too. I guess it's the same old all the power goes to the spinning wheel then the electronics do there thing and brakes that wheel. By then all momentum is lost. I'm not sure what system they use but it didn't work for me. I'm sure it's great in the summer on gravel tracks etc to find a nice picnic area though.

Edited by Jay_Russell

I never had a problem with boot space in my X-trails

:shaun:

I'll second this, I've got a 14 year old x-trail and a new Qashqai (company car) , both 4 wheel drive . x-trail wins every time for off road capability, ground clearance etc , plus the boot is much bigger than most modern crossovers , the level of kit that you get from Nissan is generally above average too. You'd get a decent diesel x-trail for £5k. Saying that I have driven them both across fields and not had a problem.

I second that for the X-Trail loads of room in the rear and very good four wheel drive in the mud I only swapped my one in for a Jeep KJ as they are simpler to get parts to lift them for extra ground clearance so that I can do some green lanes and not crunch the bottom to much.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I had a mitz outlander. Worker ok. I did like the motor. 2.4petrol/Lpg it did 22 mpg but it drove around the feilds ok. It's no Landover but if was ok,I miss the LPG. And it was easy to drive

Had a lwb pajeo, best 4x4 ever. Got me in and out of plenty a sticky hole. 16mpg was not good.

Had a couple Honda crv's. Ok mpg. Ok on the feild. Got the one around a few sticky mud tracks with road tires so not all bad.

Looked at x-trail. I didn't like the clocks in the middle of the dash. Mpg was ok. All the garages I spoke to said they don't like stocking them as they are nothing but issues. That put me off one. A mk3 is good that say but couldn't find one under 5k

I have ended up with a Kia Sportster mk2 facelift. I was very surprised I ended with it but. 35mpg. Part time 4x4. With diff lock. Good boot space. And known for its towing of horse box, I thought when not. It works for my needs, not put it in the brown stuff yet but I dare say I will end up in some soon.

Honda CR-V your I'll get allot of car for the money

Watch out for corrosion on nissans, all sorts of horror story's appearing,

It is strange that Nissan can make such good cars and trucks but do not bother to give them proper protection from the damp for my money in this day and age cars just should not go rusty it just down to lazy cost cutting.

Gah. Tried to quote lots of posts and lost control!

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Forgot to mention, one of the reasons I'm less keen on a diesel scout is due to the potential for DPF problems. Quite a lot of my driving would be shorter journeys to train station etc. But I'd also like a reasonably modern car, so pre-DPF generally wouldn't be an option.

Audi A6 Allroad?

Considering I took my TT down your "bumpy track" without an issue, I'd have thought a normal Octavia would be fine

Will look into Audis. I'll post your exhaust back! Also, I want to drive through the potholes, not round them. And into fields etc.

I was going to say one of the Audi Quattro types or the equivalent from VW

We took our TT in snow over our other motors

I recently sold my Grand Cherokee, which was a nice motor when it was behaving, but an expensive problem child a lot of the time. I bought a 2wd Octavia estate, so I can hopefully have a bit cheaper motoring for a while and not put the garage owner's kids through Uni again this year. First time I went shooting I had to go down a bit of a rough track to get to the parking area and I nearly ripped the sump off as they're so low to the ground. If the 4x4 standard one has the same ride height as the 2wd models you will find it hopeless. Not sure how long I'll be able to put up with the Skoda, but the 50mpg on a run is a nice change from 27mpg in the jeep.

Interesting, thanks. I did wonder if it was worth paying the extra for the ground clearance of the scout - sounds like it might be. (140mm clearance standard Octavia (lower than my Spec B!), 155mm clearance with rough road pack, or 171mm for full Scout, apparently).

Audi Allroad? But think the air suspension is a pain and the V6 2.5 isn't great on juice.

I'd try find a diesel legacy or Quattro Audi

Don't think I'd go Legacy again at the moment, but will look at Audis.

A friend of mine lives out in the Boondocks down a long drive that I struggled to get my Pinzgauer down. He drives an old Citroën estate. I think the petrol issue might cause a problem

Could live with diesel, apart from DPF issues. Hmm.

Most selective 4x4s these days are just cars, with no ground clearance to talk of. What your asking is almost impossible, no offence, we all like good mileage and reliability, but to include all of your wishes is difficult. I think you have got to accept a bit of extra fuel expense to get what you want. Mention of Citroen reminds me of one of the very best little/big cars I have ever owned and that was a Citroen 1220 estate back in the 70s. Large wheels, but only front wheel drive and a suspension you could raise to clear flood water or rough ground even ruts. I took that car all over the Welsh hillsides and never got stuck once. The little flat four 1220 cc engine performed like a 2litre. You need something like that.

You could pick up a early 90s Range Rover petrol and have it converted to LPG, in fact I see a few with it already fitted for around the 5 grand figure. The LPG in my 4ltr V8 Landie gives me about 34 to the gallon money wise.

Thanks, but don't fancy a RR. Do appreciate that I'm looking for something quite difficult to find!

Most are full time 4x4 might be a few SUV types with switchable 4x4 but the extra transmission running or not makes for a heavy car and not eccconomic A6 Allroad running lpg could be a good option?

Citroen c crosser is in budget but full time 4x4

Will look at C Crosser too, cheers.

We have a BMW X3 2.0d, can't fault it for reliability. Permanent 4x4 but rear until it detects traction slip then transers % drive to front.

34-40mpg, O6 or 07 for 5k.

My daughter has a Nissan Qashqai 2.0d, switchable from 2-4 wd. 09 , very reliable .

Both have more ground clearance than an estate.

Don't fancy a BMW Xanything either, but will look at Quashquais. Cheers.

I've got a Darcia Duster, ticks similar boxes to what your asking, you may need to pay £6k though.

Cheers

Aled

Could probably go to 6k for the right car. Will look at Dacias too! Thanks.

Nice idea but you would need to carry a large sack in the back to put all of the parts that fall off as it rusts away in. [ :whistling:] [:whistling:]

The good old X-Trail is as good as anything on the mudy fields its just a pity that its so hard to find parts to lift them a couple of inches that is the only reason I sold mine apart from wanting an automatic.

Think I need more boot space than an X-trail / BMW Xwhatever.

It sounds to me that for the extra space that you want you you should be looking a buying a large pickup truck with a hard top on the back a nice Ford Ranger would do you nicely I think.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I recently considered buying an old freelander or similar as a second car purely for shooting as I had got stuck on a muddy field a few times in my 65 plate citoen multispace xtr. Having witnessed a disco stuck in same place and a rr sport both with road tyres I decided on a cunning plan and fitted mud and snow tyres on the xtr, I have not been stuck since and not even had wheel spin. My point is Imo two wheel drive with decent winter tyres may be an option. I thoroughly reccomend the multispace xtr which is a pseudo off roader having heightened heavier suspension loads of ground clearance and even a sump guard. Absolute fabulous vehicle and five k will get you a good one, has to be xtr though.

I have a Mitsi Outlander .

Ran it last 2yrs

2011 , 2.3 diesel Mitsubishi engined Model , 174 bhp

Sameish shape ( mines facelift ) of the Earlier CCrosser etc etc But has a differnt engine

6 speed

Yes 2wd 4wd , 4wd diff lock.

Very competent

Super mpg

45 average.

over 50 on a run.

Mines the 4 Work Model - Van, Looks identical to the Seated Version. But Mine has Blacked out Glass, Halfmesh bulkhead and raised level foor in back

Any questions ask away