Game day clothing... jeans?!

Tford

Hi all,

Quick question... I'm taking part in an informal clear up day at the end of the season, but this is my first game shoot. Without wanting to go out and buy clothing that I don't need (for my normal shooting anyway) I just want to make sure I don't turn up in anything frowned upon!

Basically check shirt, tie, neoprene wellies (walking boots for lunch), thermals to keep warm, olive gillet, no hat, goretex shooting coat... and questionably brown smart jeans.

Are smart brown jeans acceptable for an informal day? I don't really want to buy moleskin trousers for my first trip.

Cheers

You will be fine. Hope it stays dry for you, because those cotton jeans will feel pretty cold if they get wet, but so would mole skins, where wool doesn't. If you have a pair of lightweight waterproof trousers I would have them along just in case. Hope you have a great day and enjoy yourself.

Edited by Walker570

Thanks.

Not a hat fan normally (no real reason), have a brown browning baseball type cap I wear when out foxing in the cold or wet, will that do? Or best to go out and buy a flat cap?

Why buy a flat cap just for one day. Stick your baseball cap in your pocket for just in case.

Enjoy you day, take plenty of carts, remember a tip, shoot safe and most of all enjoy yourself. Be warned it can be addictive.....

Why buy a flat cap just for one day. Stick your baseball cap in your pocket for just in case.

Enjoy you day, take plenty of carts, remember a tip, shoot safe and most of all enjoy yourself. Be warned it can be addictive.....

it isnt a fashion parade. think about cold and rain. So gloves, hat, outer wet cover, loads of carts. You might not use them but if you run out you either have to stand by and watch or borrow some. It aint much fun standing cold and wet with the wind going through you. Maners and having a good time are far more important than looking the part. Have a great day and say thank you and how much you have enjoyed yourself.even if you only had a five shots all day and are soaked right through.

Ps if it is just a clear up day you will probably look all out of place with all the gear on because it will be odd beaters and local farmers ect shooting. I've seen all sorts of clothing on even expensive shoots. Who really cares.

Edited by fortune

you be fine mucker , i drove past a game shoot at the back of my village today and half of them looked like 10lb of ***** in a 5lb bag

Edited by stevo

I would also support you taking a hat. Baseball caps in general are useless in rain and get soaked in seconds unless expensive gortex models. A good wool check flat cap or a panelled one is by far the best bet. It will absorb the rain but still keep your head warm. I wear a trilby style hat if I think it will rain, helps stop the water running down your neck. BUT hopefully on your day, the sun will shine. If all the rest looks scruffs no reason for you to and it is only good manners to turn up looking tidy.

All that nonsense about it being intoxicatingly addictive is a load of rubbish as well ..TWITCH.... TWITCH .. TWITCH ...now what cartridges will I need for Monday at Scrivelsby ? and then I'm out on Tuesday and Thursday as well, so must order another slab of those 18grm Fiocchis ...TWITCH ..TWITCH :no::sad1::/:unhappy::lol:

Edited by Walker570

Thanks all. I thought I'd best garner opinion, as you read all these articles hyping up clothing into a big deal (the articles are probably funded by the clothing manufacturers!!). From what you all say that's not the case for informal shoots. Dry and warm seems to be the Most important factors.

Really looking forwards to it, but hoping I don't enjoy it too much, might get expensive!! 😉

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Tford