Favourite 'pigeon' shell?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's spent cases lying around got to to with plastic wads?

I agree the spent case thing annoys me as there's no need at all, the fibre wad to an extent but when shooting over arable land on crops I don't see it as a huge issue as you'll never really see them. Over pasture land etc fibre wads are a more sensible option of course!

The anti shooting brigade comment, what a load of nonsense....I think that's the last argument they'll come up with to try and stop shooting.

There's more plastic in a wad than in the case yet everyone agrees it's not on leaving empties everywhere, so why is it acceptable to leave the wads which also take hundreds of years to break down? You might as well leave all your empties too.

You wouldn't walk across a field and scatter 250 empty crisp packets (less plastic) so I really don't get why people think it's fine to use plastic wads in the field.

I don't have a problem with it at a clay ground as they get cleaned up but why make a mess of the environment when there's a perfectly good alternative?

As for the antis, well yes littering might be the last argument they'd use but it is another point to add to their list and one which most members of the public would support even if they have no concern about shooting in general.

I like Fiocchi Sporting Pigeon 32g 6 or Eley Pigeon Select 30g 6 and they are about as cheap as you can get.

If the birds are a little further out or I'm after crows too I use Fiocchi PL32 5's and I've found them to be great cartridges and they are only about a tenner a slab more than the cheapest pigeon loads so I used a lot last year. They are also 65mm cases so I can get 4 in my semi.

These are all about the same price as a slab of clay cartridges so I don't see the point in using 7.5 shot on pigeons.

There are of course better cartridges but I don't see why people waste money on slabs of Black Gold for pest control - I save those for "best".

ChrisPCarter, you really shouldn't mention illegal activities on here.

Where can you get your 'pigeon' cartridges as cheap as I can get clay cartridges?

Which illegal activities might those be??

Must be the littering...

It depends how cheap you get your clay cartridges I guess.

The gun shop in Brighouse where I get the Fiocchi's from are about £45 a slab for the Sporting Pigeon and £55 for the PL32. Very good value but it's a fair way from me so I have to stock up when I'm passing, which isn't very often.

if you can get 4 cartridges in the semi auto then someone has tampered with it and shortend or removed the nylon spacer from the mag tube............

so you are now in posession of a firearm on a shotgun permit...we all know what that can result in......

get it down to the gunsmith to rectify it ASAP

Forgive my ignorance here but where do you stand legally if you have a gun that's stamped for use with 70mm and above cartridges but it can fit more than 2 65mm shells in the tube?

If a 3.5inch chambered gun, it is legal to have it on a sgc but illegal to put 3 shorter cartridges in the mag if not on an fac.