So where is the remain campaign now?

Vince Green

Danger-Mouse, on 07 Jan 2017 - 7:30 PM, said:snapback.png

Here are the Netherlands exports. Now you have to consider 65 million in the UK to 17 million people in the Netherlands. Is the UK really doing well?

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Dutch global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from the Netherlands.

• Machines, engines, pumps: US$80.3 billion (14.1% of total exports)
  • Oil: $74.4 billion (13.1%)
  • Electronic equipment: $73.5 billion (13%)
  • Pharmaceuticals: $28.3 billion (5%)
  • Medical, technical equipment: $25.3 billion (4.5%)
  • Plastics: $23.6 billion (4.2%)
  • Vehicles: $21.4 billion (3.8%)
  • Organic chemicals: $19.2 billion (3.4%)
  • Iron and steel: $12.7 billion (2.2%)
  • Live trees and plants: $9.3 billion (1.6%)

Pharmaceuticals represent the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 79.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

According to these numbers the UK, compared to a tiny country like the Netherlands is a very small player in the world of exports.

The Netherlands is richer on a per person basis, although I don't belive the gap to be huge. Obviously with our much larger population our GDPs aren't even in the same ball park. We have one of the most diverse economies in the world Edited by 12gauge82

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the Netherlands exports. Now you have to consider 65 million in the UK to 17 million people in the Netherlands. Is the UK really doing well?

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Dutch global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from the Netherlands.

1. Machines, engines, pumps: US$80.3 billion (14.1% of total exports)
  2. Oil: $74.4 billion (13.1%)
  3. Electronic equipment: $73.5 billion (13%)
  4. Pharmaceuticals: $28.3 billion (5%)
  5. Medical, technical equipment: $25.3 billion (4.5%)
  6. Plastics: $23.6 billion (4.2%)
  7. Vehicles: $21.4 billion (3.8%)
  8. Organic chemicals: $19.2 billion (3.4%)
  9. Iron and steel: $12.7 billion (2.2%)
  10. Live trees and plants: $9.3 billion (1.6%)

Pharmaceuticals represent the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 79.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

UK has the 5th largest economy in the world. Netherlands ranks 17th.

Going per capita Netherlands ranks 14th, we come in at 21st. (Luxembourg actually ranks at No.1)

Amazon?! Oh sir, I'm sorry(indirectly). I wonder if they will pay their taxes in a brexit UK?

Its a travesty, same as 15 years ago? Must be getting a hooruva techt with the inflation? Once brexit goes through there will be dearth of cheap labour i.e. the UK citizens! So not all bad, we'll have jobs lol.

On a plus note, I'm now going to die with my boots on as I will never be able to retire and so will my children as the paltry sum I shall leave them will be worth less.

Fifteen years ago I paid my rent with 3 days work. Today I'm looking at 5 days and if I wanted to move to a comparative area then more like 6 or maybe 6.5 days. IIRC back then you could still buy beer at about £1 a pint, now you're looking at £2+.

I'm far from alone in this situation. I was listening to a lass talking about having been promoted in the retail industry and she was in exactly the same situation. Earning what she earnt 15 years ago but she reckoned her living costs had trebled.

Small wonder that so many were willing to say "screw the establishment, let's roll the dice and see what comes up. After all how much worse can it really get?"

UK has the 5th largest economy in the world. Netherlands ranks 17th.

Going per capita Netherlands ranks 14th, we come in at 21st. (Luxembourg actually ranks at No.1)

Fifteen years ago I paid my rent with 3 days work. Today I'm looking at 5 days and if I wanted to move to a comparative area then more like 6 or maybe 6.5 days. IIRC back then you could still buy beer at about £1 a pint, now you're looking at £2+.

I'm far from alone in this situation. I was listening to a lass talking about having been promoted in the retail industry and she was in exactly the same situation. Earning what she earnt 15 years ago but she reckoned her living costs had trebled.

Small wonder that so many were willing to say "screw the establishment, let's roll the dice and see what comes up. After all how much worse can it really get?"

+1

We are as far removed from Edinburgh here, as we are from London. You guys down there have different problems to us here. You've got to play the game as you see it. Economy economy economy bores the begeebies out of me.

The world will keep turning (for another 5bn years), prices will rise, politicians will lie, so If you like to gamble, you win some, lose some, it's all the same to me.

GL

Edit I've no idea what IIRC means?

Edited by Highlandladdie

I think we got a couple of extra motorways and bridges out of it. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

When I was last in Ireland a brand new, wide, multi lane road (motorway?) north from Dublin ended with an massive interchange off which about five minor roads (virtually tracks!) branched.....the remainder of the journey was typical Irish "B" type roads! Thought at time they had maybe run out of EU funding? Lol!

I have to admit to being rather ignorant when it comes to politics. When it came to the referendum, a lot was banded about from both sides but I made my decision based on the financial stability of EU countries and the UK's current and potential future obligations. With several economies having failed, failing or expected to fail, I could only see the UK's financial obligations to bail outs increasing.

I don't want to be out of Europe and become devoid of any association with trading partners etc but being only offered an in or out vote, it had to unfortunately be out and I hope that we can agree a strategy that works for us.

My fear was if we had voted yes it would have given Brussels carte blanche to dictate future obligations for our membership fees.

When I was last in Ireland a brand new, wide, multi lane road (motorway?) north from Dublin ended with an massive interchange off which about five minor roads (virtually tracks!) branched.....the remainder of the journey was typical Irish "B" type roads! Thought at time they had maybe run out of EU funding? Lol!

Ah yes, the M2. Great road for about 20k. Literally looks like they ran out of cash because it just stops in the middle of no-where and terminates in a roundabout and some ****ty hotel.

I think that one is a bit political as that is the road to (London)Derry and I'm sure we were looking for you guys to pay for it. Not much else out that way so doesn't need a motorway.

Edited by iano

Petrol has not skyrocketed at all that's simply not true. Its cheaper now than it was last year, its 111.9 at ASDA or Morrisons.

So you think you can't get cherry jam because we voted Brexit - really?

Petrol has been going up in Norfolk. The cheapest supermarket price in my town is £1.20 and most country garages are £1.26-1.29p. Before brexit it was under £1.00. The cherry was just one of several examples of goods that are difficult or impossible to get these days.

Strange then that the UK is the 9th largest exporter in the world.

We have one of the largest aerospace industries and our share of the pharmaceutical market is also very significant.

No doubt many of those products could be made elsewhere but how many of those manufacturers would wish to relocate? Some no doubt will, but others won't and others will replace those that choose to leave. Oh and fwiw whisky can and is produced elsewhere, Japan immediately leaps to mind.

Irrespective of manufacturing we have a huge service industry and that's not all going to collapse just because we choose to leave the EU.

But those industries have been built up with EU investment in the last 50 years Will the UK gov invest to the same level. Their track record sugests not.

Edited by anser2

Petrol has been going up in Norfolk. The cheapest supermarket price in my town is £1.20 and most country garages are £1.26-1.29p. Before brexit it was under £1.00. The cherry was just one of several examples of goods that are difficult or impossible to get these days.

before brexit, oil was 27 dollars in april last year, petrol 99p a litre, (should have been a lot less considering the oil price drop), oil now 54 dollars, petrol £1.20 a litre

Petrol dipped because of oil producing country's failing to agree on limiting production flooding the market with oil. Opec has now reached an agreement causing oil to go back up in price and rises are likely in the near future, which has exactly nothing to do with Brexit. I have no knowledge of cherry jam but I'd put my house on Brexit having very little or nothing to do with that to.

But those industries have been built up with EU investment in the last 50 years Will the UK gov invest to the same level. Their track record sugests not.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess time will tell. But . . .

maybe now that investment (of what I suspect was largely our own money anyway) isn't coming from the EU the UK government will be forced to invest in UK businesses?

That may be nothing more than a pipe dream. But, to bring a little Sun Tzu into this, when a foe is cornered and has no option other than to fight the foe has to choose between dying or fighting. Given that choice, most foes fight harder than those given an escape route.

Maybe that will be our situation post Brexit, ie we will be cornered, and given our little island's history I think we will fight back damn hard and put the great back into Great Britain.

Sorry for playing devil's advocate here, but only JCBs and aerospace can't make up for 65 million people. Things like the metal industry are already being sold off to foreign businesses. I think the UK is a bit like a Jack Russell, i.e it thinks it's bigger than it is.

All this export you talk about wandringstar, where is the majority going to? Inside or outside of Europe? A lot of companies will leave the UK because they don't want to end up on a economical secluded island.

All I can think of is rising prices of products and the UK having to sell their products outside the EU for a higher price because of export taxes and transport costs.

And a lot of companies will be investing more inthe UK because they obviously "want to end up on a economical secluded island"!!!!

Apple £9bn on their new HQ in London (but then what do Apple know, seeing as they are only one of the biggest companies in the world)

Aston Martins new factory etc, etc.

Also i beleive we export a lot of Banking/finance services. In fact the most out of all of Europe and have done so for many years. The main reasons being, we speak English, the international language of Finance, we have the £UK NOT the Euro, and we are perfectly placed in the world for the time zone that we are in. 3 things that will NOT change.

If you honestly believe that Brexit will be so bad for the UK, then may i ask when you are planning to move back to Holland? Because if it is half as bad as you imagine then you would have to be insane to stay.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Petrol dipped because of oil producing country's failing to agree on limiting production flooding the market with oil. Opec has now reached an agreement causing oil to go back up in price and rises are likely in the near future, which has exactly nothing to do with Brexit. I have no knowledge of cherry jam but I'd put my house on Brexit having very little or nothing to do with that to.

Thats not quite true. True the producers have slightly increased the wholesale price of oil ( some of them ) , but far more important in the $ - £ exchange rate that has dropped around 20% in favour of the $ when the money markets reacted to Brexit. I do not like the EU and many of its policy measures , but when you look at the state of the UK before we joined the EU and look at it just before the Brexit vote its clear the UK has done very well within the EU. There are many features I do not like in EU policy such as imigration but the UK has done very within the EU. Too many people voted with their hearts thinking they were giving Europe a kicking instead of thinking with their heads and the future of the UK.

That only a quarter of what Holland made, a country with a much smaller population than the UK.

No, vehicle exports from Netherlands, according to the figures mentioned in this thread were $21 billion. I haven't been to school in a while but I'm pretty sure $50 billion isn't a quarter of $21 billion. :hmm:

The FTSE finished tonight at over 7200, all the indicators for the economy suggests that the UK economy is the fastest growing economy in the world as of end 2016. Even the Bank of England is trying to distance itself from comments made by Mark Carney pre referendum.

Where is the downside? Even people like Clegg and Milliband have fallen strangely silent.

Those who say we absolutely have to stay in the single market are gradually being forced to admit that actually we don't derive any benefit from it and it costs us money.

We don't have to repeal any laws, another lie, what we have we will keep. Most of them are laws we would have passed ourselves anyway.

I think 2017 is going to be a very good year

So, what your saying is that you want remainers to keep remoaning. So you as a courageous brexiteer can keep saying "I told you so"?

Yeah very good mate. I voted to remain, but the vote was to leave. I'm not going to cry or loose sleep over it, I just hope it is the right decision.

Bet that boils your **** doesn't it 😉

Edited by owain

No, vehicle exports from Netherlands, according to the figures mentioned in this thread were $21 billion. I haven't been to school in a while but I'm pretty sure $50 billion isn't a quarter of $21 billion. :hmm:

1. Machines, engines, pumps: US$80.3 billion (14.1% of total exports)
  2. Oil: $74.4 billion (13.1%)
  3. Electronic equipment: $73.5 billion (13%)
  4. Pharmaceuticals: $28.3 billion (5%)
  5. Medical, technical equipment: $25.3 billion (4.5%)
  6. Plastics: $23.6 billion (4.2%)
  7. Vehicles: $21.4 billion (3.8%)
  8. Organic chemicals: $19.2 billion (3.4%)
  9. Iron and steel: $12.7 billion (2.2%)
  10. Live trees and plants: $9.3 billion (1.6%)

You add that lot DM and its not far off a quarter.

Its was getting late and I had no intention of doing the maths just grabbed a quarter as a rough measure and its not far off.

What rubbish

You add that lot DM and its not far off a quarter.

Its was getting late and I had no intention of doing the maths just grabbed a quarter as a rough measure and its not far off.

You can add up whatever you like. It doesn't change the fact that I was only talking about British car exports in reference to a comment made by McCloggie about the Top Gear clip I posted. :)

Incidentally though it's equal to about 14% of the Netherlands total GDP. So quite a long way off 25%

What I was getting at with comparing the UK's economical figures vs the Dutch is that for a country so much bigger than the Netherlands, the UK is not faring that well really when the Netherlands trumps the UK in quite a few fields of business, oil ,pharmaceuticals and electronics to name but a few.

The way I see it is that we we're just crawling out of the last recession and now just dive into a new one voluntarily, and the working man is bearing the brunt yet again.