So where is the remain campaign now?

Vince Green

Genuine question, why if the UK is very much behind Holland etc in standard of living / quality of life did you leave to come live here?

I wonder as I was browsing other countries earlier just out of interest, I think Norway was voted number 1 and Australia number 2.

It was the weather that drew me to Scotland!

Seriously, my partner is Scottish and it was more practical for me to quit my job in NL and move over here than her quit hers and move over there.

Let there be no mistake, I like the British and the British way of life and before I moved here I made friends with quite a few during my time in the Dutch army.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, my partner is Scottish and it was more practical for me to quit my job in NL and move over here than her quit hers and move over there.

Let there be no mistake, I like the British and the British way of life and before I moved here I made friends with quite a few during my time in the Dutch army.

Some beautiful places up in Scotland for sure, and what's not to love about the weather 😂

I'm one of those migrants that came to Britain 6 years ago. I'm originally from the Netherlands, so I didn't come here for economical reasons (my partner is Scottish) and I have noticed that the UK as a whole is in many ways poorer than the Netherlands. We are already geographically an island and I'm afraid we'll become that economically as well. In my opinion the Brexiteers jumped into the deep end without even knowing if they could swim. Doing business with the EU countries will become much more difficult and dearer and if we do, we still have to abide by the EU standards and regulations. The only thing I can think of that Britain produces and successfully exports is whisky, all the rest can be produced by any other country. The only way I can see a successful Brexit is that all countries step out of the EU and it stops to exist, otherwise I'm afraid the UK will become even more poor than it already is.

Well most of the Whiskey business is owned by Diagio which is not British. More to the point its not Scottish either Secondly the HEXIT (Holland exit) movement is one of the strongest. Every time I go to Amsterdam people are saying to me we are next. They see us as allies not foes

If your referring to me I would say statment of facts, some of my comments are a little Tonge in cheek however there's a lot of truths in them to and are based in fact, you compared this country to a Jack Russell who thinks it's bigger than it is, I've pointed out we have a proud history of facing wrong doing and having the courage to do what is right rather than go with the flow out of fear, something which (no disrespect intended) the Dutch haven't always followed, they were one of, if not the most compliant invaded countries during ww2, that is fact.

That's not true and its not fair, the dutch resistance did a lot and the Nazis tried to starve Holland to death in reprisal.

That's not true and its not fair, the dutch resistance did a lot and the Nazis tried to starve Holland to death in reprisal.

True they did resist, however they helped the Germans organise Jews to be moved to the death camps and had the highest death rate of any of the German occupied countries, they were one of the most compliant nations and that is fact, although I am going of topic now, look it up if you don't believe me.

Is this actually true?

We say the same about minorities here but the numbers actually don't stack up.

According to government and other sources there are 117,000 known refugees in the UK and 36,000 known to be claiming asylum. By know I mean those who have applied successfully or unsuccessfully for asylum. That doesn't reflect the larger number of illegal migrants.

According to government and other sources there are 117,000 known refugees in the UK and 36,000 known to be claiming asylum. By know I mean those who have applied successfully or unsuccessfully for asylum. That doesn't reflect the larger number of illegal migrants.

Those are refugees though; they aren't European migrants.

I'm not 100% sure how it is in the UK, but if I (as an EU national) came over to the UK in search of work, I don't think I get to jump the housing list queue, get on social welfare straight away and get any benefits apart from NHS access (EU Health Insurance scheme covers that, I pay into that as an Irish tax payer).

Refugees are from outside of Europe; Africa, Asia, Syria etc. You'll still have them (probably) even after Brexit. I'm not sure of the legislation, but I think that is covered under UN treaties.

True they did resist, however they helped the Germans organise Jews to be moved to the death camps and had the highest death rate of any of the German occupied countries, they were one of the most compliant nations and that is fact, although I am going of topic now, look it up if you don't believe me.

What's your problem with the Dutch? And how is what happened 80 odd years ago relevant to this thread? Stop living in the past, and look to the future. Your attitude to other nationalities is fairly embarrassing 👎 Edited by owain

What's your problem with the Dutch? And how is what happened 80 odd years ago relevant to this thread? Stop living in the past, and look to the future. Your attitude to other nationalities is fairly embarrassing 👎

I've no problem with the dutch, it was someone from the Netherlands that made a comparison of the UK being like a Jack Russell, thinks it's bigger than it is, I am simply pointing out that we have a proud tradition of facing wrong doing rather than burying our head in the sand, something that the persons homeland who made a disrespectful comment about the uks country hasn't always followed, it's also based in fact. I don't want to dwell on it and I genuinely meant no disrespect, just pointing out if someone wants to bring the uks culture into question, they might want to look at their own house first. I'm not living in the past, I look forwards to continuing this great countries proud tradition of following through on what it's people belive is right, regardless of bigger adversaries who may stand in our way, and I look forward to brexit and the opportunitys it will bring. Edited by 12gauge82

Only took 6 pages to bring in the nazis! Amazing. I'm truly impressed.

Reminds me of my elderly father in law, who hates germans and go on and on about 'during the war' while he was 5 years old and never saw a german. Contrast my grandmother from Belgium, who was bombed daily during the 2 world wars and had german soldiers on her street, had to eat cats for survival, survived Typhus and a few other nasties and in her 80's she mentioned 'les boches' but actually loved Boris Baker.

I'm not 100% sure how it is in the UK, but if I (as an EU national) came over to the UK in search of work, I don't think I get to jump the housing list queue, get on social welfare straight away and get any benefits apart from NHS access (EU Health Insurance scheme covers that, I pay into that as an Irish tax payer).

Refugees are from outside of Europe; Africa, Asia, Syria etc. You'll still have them (probably) even after Brexit. I'm not sure of the legislation, but I think that is covered under UN treaties.

Yes but in Ireland it costs 60 Euros to see your GP and 130 Euros to visit the A&E. Even though I have an EU card I would still get charged in Ireland, over here Irish Nationals walk in free. The same goes for all other EU Nationals but try and get reciprocal free healthcare in Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria etc

I never intended to belittle anybody or anything. I love living here! I'm just trying to reason the pros and cons of leaving the EU and state some facts and comparisons. But then somebody's arrogance kicks in..

You live in SCOTLAND ,which has a leadership doing its damnedest to break away from the UK for some strange reason.

When Ms Krankie eventually gets her way,let me know how that works out for you.

So you left Holland ,with its far better economy and standard of living,to come to this isolationist ,down in the doldrums island?

You like the British way of life? Make your mind up pal!

Finally ,I assume when you were in the Dutch army,the Brits you met were BAOR personnel ?

What were these Jack Russels doing there ?

Yes but in Ireland it costs 60 Euros to see your GP and 130 Euros to visit the A&E. Even though I have an EU card I would still get charged in Ireland, over here Irish Nationals walk in free. The same goes for all other EU Nationals but try and get reciprocal free healthcare in Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria etc

True - when I lived in the UK, I was really surprised (and impressed) with the NHS. I had a badly mangled hand, the level of treatment was much better than I would have gotten in Ireland as a walk in.

I have to pay c. €100 a month for health insurance which means that I don't pay the A+E fee if I need to use it, and I don't wait six months for scans and tests.

You live in SCOTLAND ,which has a leadership doing its damnedest to break away from the UK for some strange reason.

When Ms Krankie eventually gets her way,let me know how that works out for you.

So you left Holland ,with its far better economy and standard of living,to come to this isolationist ,down in the doldrums island?

You like the British way of life? Make your mind up pal!

Finally ,I assume when you were in the Dutch army,the Brits you met were BAOR personnel ?

What were these Jack Russels doing there ?

Mostly drinking and ******** :) . The ones I met were Parachute Regiment. Absolutely bonkers but great guys.

Anyway, I think a few things get pulled out of context here. I never said it is that bad here in Britain, every place has its good and bad things.

I was just comparing Britain's economy to a country not even half the size of it where the smaller country has for the majority better numbers economically.

So I only pointed out that Britain's economy is not that great to say F it ,we're going it alone, especially when it gets drained by,for instance, a faulty benefits system .

But please don't get your knickers in a twist, I love you really. ;)

P.S I'm not an economist or try to be one. I just hope that in a couple of years time I get proven I was so wrong.

Thank you!

But please don't get your knickers in a twist, I love you really. ;)

I know you do :)

I know Holland from my time dealing with the British Army over there and in Germany,good people.

We have had good relations for hundreds of years ,and long may it continue.

My comments about Scotland are quite valid though,as are yours about the NL punching above its weight export wise,but I do believe that a lot of that is to do with German companies who have factories/outlets there,which makes geographic sense,and utilises the skilled Dutch workforce .

Beside all of the economic stuff though,do you not find a difference between the NL and the UK, with the amount of EU meddling and influence?

I seem to remember the Dutch taking a hard line on non EU migration/refugees,whilst we have to deal with a sign posted migrant motorway leading to the UK that no one in the rest of Europe seems want to stop.

Whatever ,time will tell ,as you say.

In February 2015, DWP recorded 113,960 people who were EU nationals when they registered for a national insurance number (NiNo) and who were receiving out-of-work benefits such as Jobseekers’ Allowance or incapacity benefit.

Also; of the 3m plus EU nationals in the UK available data suggest that roughly 10-20% of recently arrived EU adults were receiving tax credits in early 2014.Those tax credits include those claiming for children living outside the UK.

Combining the costs of in-work housing benefit from the DWP analysis and of in-work tax credits from the HMRC analysis, the government’s February 2016 white paper (FCO 2016) estimated that approximately £2.5bn or 10% of in-work tax credit and housing benefit expenditure was on claims involving EEA nationals (either as the main claimant, in the DWP data, or as one of the claimants, in the HMRC data).

Edited by UKPoacher

Regardless of how I voted, I am humbled to realise that every second person I pass in the street held a significantly different opinion to me.

(Clearly I know there was a majority for leave, I'm not stupid, but it does not invalidate my point)

Regardless of how I voted, I am humbled to realise that every second person I pass in the street held a significantly different opinion to me.

(Clearly I know there was a majority for leave, I'm not stupid, but it does not invalidate my point)

you get humbled when you meet amazing modest people, don't you mean irritated?

Freedom of movement does not mean that people should not be checked in and out and properly recorded at the borders.

No other EU country pays any benefits to UK migrants why do we pay housing benefits and tax credits, child benefits etc to EU migrants?

No other EU country has free health care. Why did my mum's cleaner bring her mother from Hungary to London for a hip replacement she couldn't afford in Hungary?

MUGS, MUGS, MUGS that's why

Freedom of movement does not mean that people should not be checked in and out and properly recorded at the borders.

No other EU country pays any benefits to UK migrants why do we pay housing benefits and tax credits, child benefits etc to EU migrants?

No other EU country has free health care. Why did my mum's cleaner bring her mother from Hungary to London for a hip replacement she couldn't afford in Hungary?

MUGS, MUGS, MUGS that's why

Spot on, they've been miking us for years. Quite amazing to whatch them cry, too late for junker and pals to shut the gate the UK horse has bolted