So where is the remain campaign now?

Vince Green

its what I am trying to say iano, once you get the referendum result, you get on your bike, you don't trust these types, they love gullibility.

I think we got a couple of extra motorways and bridges out of it. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get ready for the 2nd chance 2nd referendum offer, amazed people think march is a given for this shambles.

you picked up on 2 of my points Gordon, which were a bit theatrical, but dident comment on my valid point of the all important appeal that is pending,or are you one of these that believe the appeal by the government is an obvious legal victory.

Edited by wandringstar

The only thing I can think of that Britain produces and successfully exports is whisky, all the rest can be produced by any other country.

Strange then that the UK is the 9th largest exporter in the world.

We have one of the largest aerospace industries and our share of the pharmaceutical market is also very significant.

No doubt many of those products could be made elsewhere but how many of those manufacturers would wish to relocate? Some no doubt will, but others won't and others will replace those that choose to leave. Oh and fwiw whisky can and is produced elsewhere, Japan immediately leaps to mind.

Irrespective of manufacturing we have a huge service industry and that's not all going to collapse just because we choose to leave the EU.

I'm one of those migrants that came to Britain 6 years ago. I'm originally from the Netherlands, so I didn't come here for economical reasons (my partner is Scottish) and I have noticed that the UK as a whole is in many ways poorer than the Netherlands. We are already geographically an island and I'm afraid we'll become that economically as well. In my opinion the Brexiteers jumped into the deep end without even knowing if they could swim. Doing business with the EU countries will become much more difficult and dearer and if we do, we still have to abide by the EU standards and regulations. The only thing I can think of that Britain produces and successfully exports is whisky, all the rest can be produced by any other country. The only way I can see a successful Brexit is that all countries step out of the EU and it stops to exist, otherwise I'm afraid the UK will become even more poor than it already is.

The poorer the EU 's biggest customer gets the poorer the EU gets ...and have it right there are some pretty poor countries there already ..Italy Greece Spain etc ...

Oh and fwiw whisky can and is produced elsewhere, Japan immediately leaps to mind.

Yes, and some very nice ones at that. But (small word big meaning) it cannot be called Scotch.

No doubt many of those products could be made elsewhere but how many of those manufacturers would wish to relocate?

Brexit will be good for them(the manufacturers), they'll pay their workers in coal and porridge. And they'll flog them if they ask for a tea break or a weekend off.

Sorry for playing devil's advocate here, but only JCBs and aerospace can't make up for 65 million people. Things like the metal industry are already being sold off to foreign businesses. I think the UK is a bit like a Jack Russell, i.e it thinks it's bigger than it is.

All this export you talk about wandringstar, where is the majority going to? Inside or outside of Europe? A lot of companies will leave the UK because they don't want to end up on a economical secluded island.

All I can think of is rising prices of products and the UK having to sell their products outside the EU for a higher price because of export taxes and transport costs.

Sorry for playing devil's advocate here, but only JCBs and aerospace can't make up for 65 million people. Things like the metal industry are already being sold off to foreign businesses. I think the UK is a bit like a Jack Russell, i.e it thinks it's bigger than it is.

All this export you talk about wandringstar, where is the majority going to? Inside or outside of Europe? A lot of companies will leave the UK because they don't want to end up on a economical secluded island.

All I can think of is rising prices of products and the UK having to sell their products outside the EU for a higher price because of export taxes and transport costs.

Companies from outside the UK and even Europe have been buying up British companies for years, it is NOT a new idea since we voted to leave the EU!

I don't talk about 'all this export' I just said an organisation published a list of the uk's exports a little while back, it was incredible how much we still export, it wasn't an opinion of mine or anyone else's, it was just a plain fact, I would think a couple of taps on your keyboard would bring it up, no problem. landrover, another one. :good:

there was a list published some while back of what we do actually export, it was quite amazing how much, jcb for starters.

From Top Gear

Yes, and some very nice ones at that. But (small word big meaning) it cannot be called Scotch.

Brexit will be good for them(the manufacturers), they'll pay their workers in coal and porridge. And they'll flog them if they ask for a tea break or a weekend off.

Yes, I know it can't be scotch and that obviously makes a difference.

lol I'm working (indirectly) for Amazon atm. What's a tea break?

Already only earning what I earnt 15 years ago. Can it really get that much worse? Maybe, but I'm willing to take the risk. If the endless supply of cheap labour dries up that brings competition for the limited labour supply and hopefully we end up a little better off.

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

Machines, engines, pumps: US$63.9 billion (13.9% of total exports)

Gems, precious metals: $53 billion (11.5%)

Vehicles: $50.7 billion (11%)

Pharmaceuticals: $36 billion (7.8%)

Oil: $33.2 billion (7.2%)

Electronic equipment: $29 billion (6.3%)

Aircraft, spacecraft: $18.9 billion (4.1%)

Medical, technical equipment: $18.4 billion (4%)

Organic chemicals: $14 billion (3%)

Plastics: $11.8 billion (2.6%)

Aircraft and spacecraft were the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 18.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

In second place for improving export sales vehicles which were up 10.2% led by cars and work trucks.

UK pharmaceuticals posted the third-fastest gain in value at 8.4%.

Oil led the decliners down by -49.8%.

Exports outside the EU are a total of 53%, obviously the remaining 47% go to the EU. (almost ironic figures if you think about it).

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

Aircraft and spacecraft were the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 18.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

In second place for improving export sales vehicles which were up 10.2% led by cars and work trucks.

Exports outside the EU are a total of 53%, obviously the remaining 47% go to the EU. (almost ironic figures if you think about it).

Here are the Netherlands exports. Now you have to consider 65 million in the UK to 17 million people in the Netherlands. Is the UK really doing well?

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Dutch global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from the Netherlands.

1. Machines, engines, pumps: US$80.3 billion (14.1% of total exports)
  2. Oil: $74.4 billion (13.1%)
  3. Electronic equipment: $73.5 billion (13%)
  4. Pharmaceuticals: $28.3 billion (5%)
  5. Medical, technical equipment: $25.3 billion (4.5%)
  6. Plastics: $23.6 billion (4.2%)
  7. Vehicles: $21.4 billion (3.8%)
  8. Organic chemicals: $19.2 billion (3.4%)
  9. Iron and steel: $12.7 billion (2.2%)
  10. Live trees and plants: $9.3 billion (1.6%)

Pharmaceuticals represent the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 79.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

lol I'm working (indirectly) for Amazon atm. What's a tea break?

Already only earning what I earnt 15 years ago. Can it really get that much worse? Maybe, but I'm willing to take the risk. If the endless supply of cheap labour dries up that brings competition for the limited labour supply and hopefully we end up a little better off.

Amazon?! Oh sir, I'm sorry(indirectly). I wonder if they will pay their taxes in a brexit UK?

Its a travesty, same as 15 years ago? Must be getting a hooruva techt with the inflation? Once brexit goes through there will be dearth of cheap labour i.e. the UK citizens! So not all bad, we'll have jobs lol.

On a plus note, I'm now going to die with my boots on as I will never be able to retire and so will my children as the paltry sum I shall leave them will be worth less.

So as part of the single market every business in the UK is forced to comply with EU red tape whether they export or not. The EU is the minority market. Now If I were in business and looking to grow my company and saw those figures, I'd be looking for a way out...oh wait! :lol:

Edited by achosenman

Danger-Mouse, on 07 Jan 2017 - 7:30 PM, said:snapback.png

Here are the Netherlands exports. Now you have to consider 65 million in the UK to 17 million people in the Netherlands. Is the UK really doing well?

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Dutch global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from the Netherlands.

1. Machines, engines, pumps: US$80.3 billion (14.1% of total exports)
  2. Oil: $74.4 billion (13.1%)
  3. Electronic equipment: $73.5 billion (13%)
  4. Pharmaceuticals: $28.3 billion (5%)
  5. Medical, technical equipment: $25.3 billion (4.5%)
  6. Plastics: $23.6 billion (4.2%)
  7. Vehicles: $21.4 billion (3.8%)
  8. Organic chemicals: $19.2 billion (3.4%)
  9. Iron and steel: $12.7 billion (2.2%)
  10. Live trees and plants: $9.3 billion (1.6%)

Pharmaceuticals represent the fastest-growing among the top 10 export categories, up 79.2% for the 5-year period starting in 2011.

According to these numbers the UK, compared to a tiny country like the Netherlands is a very small player in the world of exports.

Edited by McCloggie

I think the UK is a bit like a Jack Russell, i.e it thinks it's bigger than it is.

And I think that underestimates the UK as a whole, as a side it hasn't yet been mentioned the role our military might brings to the table, intelligence and battle field experience, both abroad and and terrorism. The EU needs us in today's turbulent world, its not russia who sits near our boarder. it wouldn't for instance be the first time we saved the Netherlands, ww2 springs to mind, they tried to go the we're impartial route (same as they did in ww1) and Hitler invaded them anyway, surrendering on the first day I belive, so maybe the UK is like a Jack Russell, we ARE bigger than our size and have been underestimated throughout history, almost always to our enemies demise, (before anyone says it I'm obviously not suggesting war with anyone). Europe needs us more than we need them and it's not the first or even second time germany got too big for her boots.