Shortening Shot gun stock for Petite Lady

BADGER.BRAD

I have an old but fully useable 12g shotgun which I am thinking of cutting the stock on so that my other half can use a gun which is nearer to fitting her ( she presently uses this but with a real bad fit, 5 inch out). As I am a little challenged in ££££ terms this would make more sense than selling it and getting a 20g.The gun has no real value. What do you think ?

Is there much difference in recoil from a 12g with 21 gram load to a 20g with a 21gram load ?

Thanks for your views

5" are you sure?????

2" max surely...

If you cut the stock you will upset the balance so be prepared to add lead to the cut stock to bring balance back.

21g from a 12 or 20b is the same force mass x acceleration.

The heavier the gun the less recoil is felt, the better balanced the gun the less heavy it feels.

Also make sure the comb is right height for her cheek

Ehb102 has some experience of this

A friend of mine 5'4" ish size 12? Shoots a 28" 12 bore beretta 686 with 21g shells it has a kick eez pad and 14" ish LoP I think

Edited by HDAV

Sorry for the confusion the measurement I gave was from the knuckle of her thumb to her nose when she has the gun mounted. This was 7 inchs and I allowed 2 inch as the required distance so 7 minus 2 = 5. Hope that makes sense ? I was going to cut 1/4 ich at a time until I got to the required size.Just over an inch if I listen to what people say !

Someone came up with idea of a 20g gun but all the guns anywhere near my price range seemed to be the same lenght ! As regards adding weight to the stock what sort of amounts are we talking ?

Edited by BADGER.BRAD

As a rough guide you can put the butt of the stock in the inside of her arm (with her arm at 90 degrees) and her trigger finger pad should be comfortably on the trigger blade.

NO, NO, NO ! BUT do not take my word for that, ask a stockfitter !

Edited by Westley

I'd try to talk to someone who does it for at least part of their living, but if you do go full DIY try and discretely eyeball her chest. She might need the toe of the chamfering somewhat depending on how she is formed so to speak.

My better half is five foot ten which avoids much trouble, but when given her gun another lady of comparable features but much shorter height found it most uncomfortable.

I have an old but fully useable 12g shotgun which I am thinking of cutting the stock on so that my other half can use a gun which is nearer to fitting her ( she presently uses this but with a real bad fit, 5 inch out). As I am a little challenged in ££££ terms this would make more sense than selling it and getting a 20g.The gun has no real value. What do you think ?

Is there much difference in recoil from a 12g with 21 gram load to a 20g with a 21gram load ?

Thanks for your views

Don't get a 20G. Just don't. Even if the missus can't shoot a hundred in one go right at the beginning she will soon enough simply with use. Shoot 21g 12G carts for a bit and you will have saved enough to buy a 20G.

21g 20Gs are still a little bit harder on you that a 21g 12G in my experience, comparing O/U for clays including driven. There's just less of the gun to absorb the recoil. Of course you can pad them up no end, that helps. Put a decent recoil pad on the 12G and you're good to go. There's not a lot in it when you have a 21g cartridge. The lighter gun does cause other problems on clays though. Depends on the lady and the clays of course.

What you could do instead of butchering the stock massively severely is to change the pitch first. That has the most effect in my view and will of course change the length a bit. Then Mrs You can mount the gun properly and hold it properly and see how long it really is. Until you get that right it's compromising everything else. Correct pitch means better mount, which means hand and head position will shift. Of course if you have already done that please disregard this message.

We did see a coach and booked a lesson for her but as we still had the guns over our shoulders he asked to have a look. The first thing he said was the gun was far too long and the second was that she shoots with one eye closed (I must admit I do this myself) He said she would most likeley be better off with a 20 bore built for a youth. The worst thing is I was given the gun she was using but the gun I brought for her originally is a lot longer (I now use this) yet my local gun shop said it was a good fit. I won't be using them again !

I got her to stand side on with the gun mounted and as it's such an over reach for her she was clearly struggling to hold it on target. her front hand is 5 to 6 inchs back from where I hold it .

Lenght of pull is 14 1/2 inchs, from what I've read and videos I've looked at this will need to come down to about(ish) 13 1/2 inchs, one inch making 4 inch difference on the thumb to nose measurement.

Doesn't sound outrageous for a 5' person. I still think the pitch is the most important part though.

What, the rubbish undercutting that the crappy gunsmith who thinks women shoot off their boobs did? Probably but no one needs to see that abomination. The correction that my lady shooting mentor got me made the pitch 90 degrees (or possibly zero, I don't know how you measure them).

The old one before correction looked like someone had out this on upside down:

http://www.bedlans.com/images/W-26751_21_Gr_Am_stock.jpg

That was a bloody expensive lesson and I will keep on about it until gunsmiths who do that are gone from our land. Not every woman likes such a flat pitch, but it's usually the easiest thing to get right and the last thing lots of fitters think of.

LOP may be usually done first but having see it done when the pitch was so obviously wrong that you couldn't hold the gun comfortably it seems to me that if you are doing it yourself then changing the pitch a little first might change the way the lady appears to hold the gun. They did lol first for me, and I went with it because I didn't think my arms would get any longer. What did happen was that as I learned to shoot I changed head and hand position. It's like lots of people advise, it's a cycle of change.

We did see a coach and booked a lesson for her but as we still had the guns over our shoulders he asked to have a look. The first thing he said was the gun was far too long and the second was that she shoots with one eye closed (I must admit I do this myself) He said she would most likeley be better off with a 20 bore built for a youth. The worst thing is I was given the gun she was using but the gun I brought for her originally is a lot longer (I now use this) yet my local gun shop said it was a good fit. I won't be using them again !

I got her to stand side on with the gun mounted and as it's such an over reach for her she was clearly struggling to hold it on target. her front hand is 5 to 6 inchs back from where I hold it .

Contact Flycoy Russ knows his stuff and is based at Kenilworth, is that local for you?

My wife is very slender and 5" and a smidget, she shoots a guerini with a 14 1/4 LOP and it's a perfect fit. We *also* heard all kind of useless (and contradictory) information about what 'should' fit her, and started with a much shorter 20g that was pretty, and next to useless.