Herefordshire Syndicate Duck, Teal Partridge and Pheasant - ShotKam

Duffryn

Full video to follow shortly mg Go Pro and Shotkam footage. I had intended to use the "method" for the whole day but instinct took over and I shot maintained lead but still seemed to do quite well. Managed a cracking 45 yard Teal on the first drive and a decent 50 yard Duck which made my day. Hope you enjoy......

HI Duffryn

Another great video with some fantastic shooting (especially the high duck), thanks for posting and I look forwards to the footage with the go pro.

If you don't mind me saying, I noticed that a number of your misses are where your over the top on the line, I noticed this in the early misses on the video and then you edited it in near the end. I was going to suggest trying to shoot with an extension pad on the gun this normally results in the nose of the gun being lower on the target..

It may be that the LOP is correct and your lifting your head as your pulling the trigger if thats the case the recoil pad won't help! but thought it may be with a try, the Shotkam would clearly identify any improvement on line very quickly.

Anyway great video and good shooting

all the best

Terry

I slept on this before posting, but here goes ...

Firstly, thanks again for sharing some really interesting footage.

I was left this time with one overriding feeling, and that was to cut out some of the shots where the birds were lightly hit. Every time we put the gun up, we risk wounding a bird, but choosing to show it in slow motion would not be either my choice , or what I want to see. I saw several where legs went down, or the birds flinched. Many of these may have been picked.

Lots of your kills were hit really hard, so moving to 1/4 choke may help you get a wider, more even pattern and reduce these.

This is just my opinion, and I really do like what you do, and understand that you show every shot for positive reasons. Perhaps you could exercise some choice when editing .... that's what I believe you should consider.

Posted with good intent.

I slept on this before posting, but here goes ...

Firstly, thanks again for sharing some really interesting footage.

I was left this time with one overriding feeling, and that was to cut out some of the shots where the birds were lightly hit. Every time we put the gun up, we risk wounding a bird, but choosing to show it in slow motion would not be either my choice , or what I want to see. I saw several where legs went down, or the birds flinched. Many of these may have been picked.

Lots of your kills were hit really hard, so moving to 1/4 choke may help you get a wider, more even pattern and reduce these.

This is just my opinion, and I really do like what you do, and understand that you show every shot for positive reasons. Perhaps you could exercise some choice when editing .... that's what I believe you should consider.

Posted with good intent.

Smokersmith,

Whenever someone posts a video online comment is to be expected and encouraged. In my case I think it makes the videos better and helps to improve my shooting. Everyone has different views and the fact that not everyone agrees with every comment makes the word an interesting place. In your case I think you raise a very valid comment and I have thought long and hard about this. Does me editing out the wounded birds change a) that is has happened or b) that i was responsible for it ? The answer is a clear NO. Does it change the fact that this is an inevitable part of the sport, again the answer is NO. Is this something that is enjoyable viewing or good for the Sport - answer NO. So taking your comments on board all future videos (especially the shotKam footage) will be edited appropriately. Wounding birds is the part of the sport that I agonise with most but you are right its not something that should be featured for entertainment . Whenever a bird is wounded (and I have had time to identify this) I always try and use the second shot (when available) and shoot relatively tight chokes (normally 1/2 and 3/4) so that the chance of a clean kill is increased. My personal view is that I should keep the chokes tight because this reduces the risk of a wounded bird rather than increasing it, but again welcome views on this.

Yours in Sport Duffryn

HI Duffryn

Another great video with some fantastic shooting (especially the high duck), thanks for posting and I look forwards to the footage with the go pro.

If you don't mind me saying, I noticed that a number of your misses are where your over the top on the line, I noticed this in the early misses on the video and then you edited it in near the end. I was going to suggest trying to shoot with an extension pad on the gun this normally results in the nose of the gun being lower on the target..

It may be that the LOP is correct and your lifting your head as your pulling the trigger if thats the case the recoil pad won't help! but thought it may be with a try, the Shotkam would clearly identify any improvement on line very quickly.

Anyway great video and good shooting

all the best

Terry

Thanks Terry, the gun has been fitted to me and tested on a plate. I think the issue is that ShotKam calibration needs a bit of fine tuning and I need to get my act together and shoot consistently

Love that you take the time to take the videos and upload them for all to see, I do enjoy watching them with envy as I only shoot driven pheasant four or five times a season!

I have to say from a viewing point of view I much prefer your go pro footage which I always really enjoy, the shot kam is great for yourself to see where you're consistently going wrong and I'm guessing is helping you in that (and no rob on cam)!

A lot of your centre patten kills do seem to get hit very hard so certainly no wounding there, i agree that pricking birds is inevitable though unless you're either a very good shot and very selective in what you go for (most people struggle to be both). With the go pro footage obviously you don't see that though!

Looked another fine day.

I'm really pleased you took this as it was intended, and I always imagined that you would have gone through the thought process as you've said ... we're on the same page I think.

On the chokes ... have a think about going to 1/4 and 1/4 .... (not when you're with Robert Jones!!)

The occasions on normal shoots, 1/4 gives a nice even pattern. The dense central core of 1/2 and 3/4 will provide spectacular kills, but dead is dead. In my eyes the birds on the sparser edge of the pattern are clipped, whereas 1/4 choke will fold them up stone dead over a bigger area. 2.7mm shot (v the 3.0 mm you may be using now) will give plenty of pellets in the pattern and folds stuff up way out there.

Might be worth a try ... one of my mates shot high birds at Farndale last week, and mistakenly left his 1/4 and 1/2 choke in from having some clays ... he'll be keeping them in from now ....

I'm really pleased you took this as it was intended, and I always imagined that you would have gone through the thought process as you've said ... we're on the same page I think.

On the chokes ... have a think about going to 1/4 and 1/4 .... (not when you're with Robert Jones!!)

The occasions on normal shoots, 1/4 gives a nice even pattern. The dense central core of 1/2 and 3/4 will provide spectacular kills, but dead is dead. In my eyes the birds on the sparser edge of the pattern are clipped, whereas 1/4 choke will fold them up stone dead over a bigger area. 2.7mm shot (v the 3.0 mm you may be using now) will give plenty of pellets in the pattern and folds stuff up way out there.

Might be worth a try ... one of my mates shot high birds at Farndale last week, and mistakenly left his 1/4 and 1/2 choke in from having some clays ... he'll be keeping them in from now ....

Yes we are on the same page. OK I'm going to take your advice and 1/4 and 1/4 it is for the next shoot ( Powis Castle) then

Love that you take the time to take the videos and upload them for all to see, I do enjoy watching them with envy as I only shoot driven pheasant four or five times a season!

I have to say from a viewing point of view I much prefer your go pro footage which I always really enjoy, the shot kam is great for yourself to see where you're consistently going wrong and I'm guessing is helping you in that (and no rob on cam)!

A lot of your centre patten kills do seem to get hit very hard so certainly no wounding there, i agree that pricking birds is inevitable though unless you're either a very good shot and very selective in what you go for (most people struggle to be both). With the go pro footage obviously you don't see that though!

Looked another fine day.

Agreed. I've just finished an eight hour edit ( and another 30 mins re touching thanks to Smokersmith !!) of GoPro and some Shotkam of the day. I took my 10 year old son along with me who I think will add some amusement to the video. It should be uploaded in a couple of hours.

Great footage, what settings are you using on the shotkam as i have just bought one and could do with a bit of help

Cheers for the vids keep them coming

It's set up on break action gun, flying birds, normal recording time and red dot reticle. The calibration is simple but you do need another person to help you do this and aim at a target at least 30 yards away. Hope this helps and good luck with it

Thanks Terry, the gun has been fitted to me and tested on a plate. I think the issue is that ShotKam calibration needs a bit of fine tuning and I need to get my act together and shoot consistently

Hi Duffryn

Thats great well its definitely not the gun fit then :yes:

I think you shoot very well from the footage shown, thanks for the videos please keep them coming :good:

All the best

Terry