Sturgeon again

Gunman

If they'd voted to leave at their referendum I'd have wished them good luck. But, knowing there would be a referendum on EU membership, they chose to stay. Personally I think they're better off staying part of the union.

What baffles me the most is Sturgeon and co screaming they want independence from Westminster but also desiring to fall under the control of Brussels. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Thats something she has never answered but then the Biased Broadcasting Corporation never asks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats something she has never answered but then the Biased Broadcasting Corporation never asks

It makes me very angry that the media give her an easy ride and treat her with kid gloves. About the only person who shows the SNP up to be

the incompetents they are is Alex Neill, and they increasingly refuse to be interviewed by him.

Left wing media 'elites' seem to see the SNP as some sort of romantic crowd of freedom seekers where they're actually a shower of

lying (insert expletives of choice here) who would rather see the country "free" but in penury than thriving as a healthy part

of the UK.

Unfortunately there's still a large percentage of their supporters who think the rest of the UK is raping Scotland of resources/

wealth, the main unionist goal should be to get this crowd to recognise the true picture.

Regardless what the result was in scotland itself, stop in/out........Scotland voted as part of the Union for brexit,....the quicker the Crankie Cretin understands that the better.

I dont mean that. I meant that maybe scots who want to be in the union voted in with the hope we would stay in and stop a possibility of a second indyref....

I just can't imagine any Scot with half a brain wanting independence - they would be out of the EU and out of the UK too with little or no chance to join the EU for decades. Who would subsidise them?? I'm assuming we would insist upon a 'hard exit' ie Barnett cash would stop and they would be dependant upon tax revenues. They would be very poor.

I just can't imagine any Scot with half a brain wanting independence - they would be out of the EU and out of the UK too with little or no chance to join the EU for decades. Who would subsidise them?? I'm assuming we would insist upon a 'hard exit' ie Barnett cash would stop and they would be dependant upon tax revenues. They would be very poor.

The trouble is the average Scott is isolated from the big picture, often living in small rural communities, and constantly bombarded by Nationalist propaganda. I have repeated this many times on here but my elderly aunt in Langholm was told by a campaigner during the independence referendum that if they got independence the SNP would double her pension. SHE BELIEVED IT! and she voted accordingly.

How many more like her are there? If you are going to tell fibs tell big ones appears to be their motto

The trouble is the average Scott is isolated from the big picture, often living in small rural communities, and constantly bombarded by Nationalist propaganda. I have repeated this many times on here but my elderly aunt in Langholm was told by a campaigner during the independence referendum that if they got independence the SNP would double her pension. SHE BELIEVED IT! and she voted accordingly.

How many more like her are there? If you are going to tell fibs tell big ones appears to be their motto

In fairness there will be gullible people in any campaign, regardless of what side your on, to tar am entire country as a bunch of clueless recluse, who live in the sticks and have no idea of what's going on in the uk is at best naive and at worst and outrageous slur to the Scottish.

With oil at $50/per barrel, Scotland would go bust within a year.

Whose oil is it anyway? As far as I can recall a question unanswered in the last independence debate.

Given that both the Orkneys and Shetland Isles voted to remain in the UK it would be interesting if in any future independence referendum they both elected to remain and said they were taking their oil with them.

I take it u have never looked at population densitie/distrabution of scotland?

The vast vast majority of folk live in big cities esp around the central belts, and scottish politics is very urban based far more so the England.

And also most of these rural 'hill billies' tend to vote tory or lib dem and voted No often quite convincingly over most of the rural constituancies

In langholm they're borderline interbred anyway and cannae even speak right, all twa's (2) fowrr's (4), carlll's (carlisle) and ewe (you) strange folk even by scottish standards :whistling:

In the referendum a lot of lies where told by both sides BUT 1 of the main pledges by no was vote no was the ONLY way to stay in Europe, possibly that was not wise with the EU referendum being talked about but it might not off even been official then they woud actually have an EU in out referndum, and no one would have predicted the result even on the night never mind 2 years in advance.

The SNP did say once in a generation or if something fundemental/constitutional changes, i'd say leaving the EU is pretty fundemental to can see there point in atleast talking about it, they have never said they're going to call 1 only talked about it and looking into the legal side

Despite wot many might think of her, she's not daft, if they hold 1 and they don't win there is a very good chance they will implode and support willl drop massively, happened in Canada.

I don't think enough folk n scotland care enough about europe (and i've never understood why westminster rule=bad, brussels= good) to swig the vote massively but then again there wasn't an awful lot in it either a 5% swing would be enough.

But a lot of chickens are coming home to roost now at holyrood, NHS shambles, polie scotland in choas with big big funding blackholes and education standards most 3rd world countries would be embarassed by all happened on SNP's watch

Edited by scotslad

the oil is everyones, English, scots, welsh, n.irish, the same way the national debt is everyones, and the same way Lancashire fracking gas is everyones.

if they go it alone, then percentages of ownership of assets and debt liabilities have to be worked out accordingly, imagine trying to work that out.

Silly, silly people they are, they are truly extreme, but without any coherent plan, and that's because there cant be one.

Devolution of power was a very bad idea, in my view.

Whose oil is it anyway? As far as I can recall a question unanswered in the last independence debate.

Given that both the Orkneys and Shetland Isles voted to remain in the UK it would be interesting if in any future independence referendum they both elected to remain and said they were taking their oil with them.

I remember this. Beautiful. I can already hear something like 'we don't wish to be taken out of the UK against our will'.........,

"The average Scott".

May I with all due respect direct you to a dictionary so that you might look up the meanings of the words "ignorant" and "patronising", as both describe the content of your post very well.

And whilst you're at it, check the spelling of "Scot". One "t".

A minor correction - it's "Orkney", not the "Orkneys", and "Shetland", not "Shetland Islands". Get yer facts right.

Oh, and talking of facts, you may or may not know that when Orkney and Shetland voted to stay within the UK it was in light of the constant reminders issued to Scotland that a vote for independence would mean automatic exclusion from the EU.......

Mmm, I wonder what's changed.....

"The average Scott".

May I with all due respect direct you to a dictionary so that you might look up the meanings of the words "ignorant" and "patronising", as both describe the content of your post very well.

And whilst you're at it, check the spelling of "Scot". One "t".

Predictive text, and I am a Scot, second generation admittedly. And despite your protestations I do still think a lot of people north of the border are very unworldly, in particular the ones I am related to

Edited by Vince Green

I am a little intrigued here, if the Scots knew that leaving the union would mean they could not be part of the EU then why do they now think they can be part of the EU if they leave the union?

Its all about the money, SNP only wanted 'independence' from the UK as long as we kept on paying for their shortfall. Now they want to remain part of the EU because they get a lot of EU subsidies and grants that they can't afford to lose.

Scotland cannot pay its own way. Its a lovely country but what makes it lovely also makes it poor.

Edited by Vince Green

Its all about the money, SNP only wanted 'independence' from the UK as long as we kept on paying for their shortfall. Now they want to remain part of the EU because they get a lot of EU subsidies and grants that they can't afford to lose.

Scotland cannot pay its own way. Its a lovely country but what makes it lovely also makes it poor.

That is something of a misleading statement. Certainly the current public spending profile could not be maintained if Scotland was independent and with the current level of tax revenues, so in that sense what you said is accurate. However the same is true of the UK just now which is why we are still running a structural deficit, we (UK) are unable to pay our own way without resort to borrowing, so in that sense an independent Scotland would be no different, hence your comment being a shade misleading or perhaps better described as not being truly reflective of the UK reality.

The major problem I had/have with the pro independence rhetoric is that as you suggested earlier there are faux promises of an increase in wealth through higher levels of social subsidy, that is entirely misleading and people have willingly jumped on that bandwagon.

Scotland would still be a wealthy country if independent, relative to global standards, but certainly there would be less cash to spend and not more relative to where we are now.

That should not be interpreted as Scotland is being subsidised from the rest of the UK, as all of the UK is being subsidised through still alarmingly high levels of national borrowing. In terms of tax revenue per head of population Scotland is on parity with the vast majority of the UK. London and the south east skew the figures massively for an English average in terms of tax revenues, so the argument is really that London is subsidising everywhere else.

It is both frustrating and depressing that the rhetoric of the likes of Sturgeon and Salmond have come to define so much of the narrative of people talking about Scotland.

My own feeling is that we have reached peak SNP and we will now start to see a gradual decline of support for the party. The forthcoming council elections will be interesting.

The talk of Sturgeon deciding to suspend a 2nd independence referendum if there is a soft Brexit is really a climb down as despite the forceful language of the nat's since the Brexit vote there is no measurable uptick in support for Scottish independence. Many of the SNP strategists are now recognising that their hardline approach is counter productive.

I did also see some recent figures, although i an not sure of the veracity of those, that the largest vote share for Brexit in Scotland was by those identifying themselves as SNP voters.

Isn't the current situation just another ride on the merry-go-round. I'm thinking of back in the 70s when Winnie Ewing quickly blossomed and even more quickly withered. We even got invited to join the Royal Scottish Air Force and Navy!

Oh, and talking of facts, you may or may not know that when Orkney and Shetland voted to stay within the UK it was in light of the constant reminders issued to Scotland that a vote for independence would mean automatic exclusion from the EU.......

Mmm, I wonder what's changed.....

So just to clarify, you are claiming that...........Orkney and Shetland voted to remain in the Union despite the "constant reminders" that a "vote for independence would mean automatic exclusion from the EU"?

That being the case we must then conclude that the reported majority of the rest of Scotland voted to for independence......even though it would "mean automatic exclusion from the EU?" Is that correct?

If so it appears that the majority of Scotland was prepared to leave the Union and understood this would mean exclusion from the EU, but according to Ms Sturgeon, Scotland is not prepared to stay in the Union and leave the EU?

Interesting!