Feeding my beaters

kennett

Need to pick a few brains. After my beaters day the guns always paid for the local fish end chip van to come and feed them all, which went down a storm. The owner has since retired so I need some ideas for a meal that is easy to make in bulk (20+ portions) and easy to reheat in a barn or keep cooking (slow cooker). Any suggestions greatfully received!

Game hotpot, French bread followed by apple pies, with fresh cream, sorted ! We used the large commercial round pans with the handles on the sides. Just dice a selection of various 'Game', chuck in with, pots., carrots, onions, seasoning, stock cubes and cook the lot together.

Blimey I've been beating all season bring my own food get a coffee if I'm lucky and a thanks lads at the end of the day

Mind you I do enjoy it and it's at the collage where my boy is studying gamekeeping

Another bonus is I've got a peg for the day on beaters day

Haha I think (hope!) my lot are well looked after, we only do 4 days but can't afford to pay. But they do get soup, sausages and sloegasm's at lunch, beaters day including lunch and dinner and plenty of roost shooting

If reheating food we tended to avoid meat dishes because of the risks in the very limited facilities we had on our shoot. A curried green lentil soup was a hit , lots of bread cheese, tea, coffee etc. and loads of cake! We are a good half hour from the nearest village, pub or anyone's kitchen.

If you are transporting hot food from a kitchen the aluminium Norwegian Army insulted carriers (with clamp lids) you can get surplus are really excellent. You get new food containers with them - I think each one carrier about 13 litres.

Another way to reheat food is this. Fill the largest pan you can get with water and heat this over a big gas burner to effectively use it as a bain-marie. You then place billies of food into the water bath. The food gets to the simmer but can never burn. So you can leave it relatively unattended. Hot hygenic food but no burning. We got a monster pan from Nisbets and those stainless billies (made in Thailand) from a bushcraft store. Remarkable effective. It's all a bit of a clat but if you have no facilities................................

Hope this helps.................