Back on the maize

mrpip

post-13005-0-24580200-1483958768_thumb.jpg

Been keeping an eye on the maize stubble I was shooting up till Christmas, plenty of pigeon though well flocked up and still skittish, went on Sunday set up with the whirly and 10 shells in my usual place for 08.30. First pigeon decoyed straight away then had a mad 10 mins with birds coming from every direction, things settled down and they just circled the area in large bunches with the odd ones decoying or coming near enough for a shot. A gas gun has been set up on the neighbours farm about half a mile away, I have never heard one as loud it was keeping the birds in the air at great height, when it went off you could see them jink in flight and rapidly gain height, but they hung around the area all day, shot my last bird at 14.30 after walking out the wood finished up with 68 picked up. Still plenty of cobs on top so hopefully will give them another go next week

Nice result, that looks like a continuing source of birds for you until the Farmer turns it in.

Some of the new gas guns are really noisy, I was looking at some rape last week and on an adjoining farm I thought there was a Shoot on, but it was two gas guns with multiple shot settings, so six shots went off almost one after the other at close intervals.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if anyone is still following this chat, but one of my little farm perms is just at this moment, drilling maize. Never shot on this crop before. Any tips guys? Should I be out on the drillings? When do birds tend to attack these fields? Is there a time whilst the plants are small and young that provide opportunities for both birds and us shooters? Or only when the cobs are ripe? Does it flower and are these attractive? Hoping this could be an interesting new experience.

Cool. Thanks for the intel. This particular farm only has two large fields, the other this year is wheat I believe. It's a very hit and miss venue, never had more than mid teens, but I'm always welcome on site, plus I can drive to my hide position and unload, so it saves trudging for miles with my gear.