20 bore trouble

williegunn88

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone might be able to shed some light on the trouble I'm having with my 20 bore, namely that I can't hit a thing with it!

I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but neither am I the worst, and I hit stuff comfortably most of the time with my 12. I don't use a cartridge which is substantially different through the 20 bore. I'm using 28 gram 6's & 5's (depending on what I'm trying to shoot) which is very similar to what I'd be using through the 12, so I don't imagine that performance should be vastly different?

I'm not hugely confident with the particular cartridges which I am using, but I was given thousands of them when I bought the gun, and I've never been one to believe that consistent missing is a fault of the cartridge, no matter what make.

The gun fits me well enough and when I dry mount it, it really feels like a gun I should be able to shoot well with but it is demoralising to take it out and fire perhaps 20 shots with 3 or 4 birds hit.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks very much.

WG88.

Try it on a Pattern sheet staple some lining paper to a pallet of similar. Shoot instinctively don't aim and it will tell you whether it is shooting where you are looking and if it is Patterning OK. If it is doing both it could just be you are stopping the gun there is less natural follow through with a 20 bore due to its lighter weight you have to consciously keep it moving. Other option take it and have a lesson with a good coach he should be able to answer all those questions, it will be money well spent. Don't give up on it they are great for a walk round gun and kill just as well as a 12.

Edited by JRDS

Likely gun fit. I'd also wager that the 20 is a bit lighter than the 12 and you aren't getting enough swing weight from the 20 and are slowing the gun down on a swing. Only way to know for sure is to pop to the clay ground and shoot 25 skeet (my usual way to understand what is wrong). Do it with someone who knows what they are doing and they can tell you if you are high and behind (my guess, just for S&G).

thanks

rick

Guest cookoff013

Likely gun fit. I'd also wager that the 20 is a bit lighter than the 12 and you aren't getting enough swing weight from the 20 and are slowing the gun down on a swing. Only way to know for sure is to pop to the clay ground and shoot 25 skeet (my usual way to understand what is wrong). Do it with someone who knows what they are doing and they can tell you if you are high and behind (my guess, just for S&G).

thanks

rick

When ever I picked up my 28bore I would go miles in front of the birds, took me a while to realize why I kept missing. Soon sorted it out but had to be conscious of it all the time. Same with any of my other guns after using the Kreighoff at clays for a few times before picking up another lighter gun.

A day on the clayswill help you as they are repeatable to let you adjust accordingly.

Apart from the gunfit (which is important), I would try an array of different cartridges. I once tested 10 different makes/loads through a EELL 20. The results were quite enlightening. Only about 4 of the brands/loads gave an acceptable pattern. I do know that when I shoot my Beretta 20, which weighs 6lbs 3ozs. I really have to concentrate on keeping the gun moving. It does move quickly BUT it can also stop quickly too ! I have found that the Express cartridges in 24 gram work well on clays and the RC Sipe in 6 shot for game.

Having a similar experience with a recent 20b acquisition ! Struggled even on clays but managed to sort that out.Feathered stuff is different,pull off some stormers but miss most if more than 25yds away !!!! The gun fits perfectly ,throws good even patterns,so I know it`s myself at fault but struggle to figure it all out .

This is 20b number 7 ,so I think I`m acquainted with them in general......but this is a Beretta................

Edited by matone

Gun fit but also weight can affect.

I shoot many light weight (6lbs) 12 bores but had a heavy 12 that was more like 8.5lbs took quite a lot of practice with it before I hit anything despite it being stocked to identical measurements. It just took more to get the barrels moving that I was used to than with my whippier light guns

Hello all,

I can't hit a thing with it!

I don't use a cartridge which is substantially different through the 20 bore. I'm using 28 gram 6's & 5's (depending on what I'm trying to shoot) which is very similar to what I'd be using through the 12, so I don't imagine that performance should be vastly different?

I'm not hugely confident with the particular cartridges which I am using,

I've never been one to believe that consistent missing is a fault of the cartridge, no matter what make.

The gun fits me well enough and when I dry mount it, it really feels like a gun I should be able to shoot with.

Blame the cartridge manufacturers leadless cartridges! Don't over think it through. Get some slow clays thrown at you to gain a bit of confidence. Use the cartridges that you haven't got confidence in because if you mis you won't feel that you are wasting good cartridges and if you hit it will show you that they did have lead in them after all.

It`s not the exact same gun ,just same spec !lol !

Bit too light for consistent shooting is my thoughts on them,although plenty seem to shoot well with them.

I normally use a 12 bore sporter weighing in at around 8 1/4lbs, but I occasionally give the 20 bore an airing, which weighs 6 1/4lbs. both have 30" barrels so the 'sight picture' remains pretty constant. I find I have to work harder using the 20. I do have to concentrate more to keep the barrels moving on the lighter gun, it is far easier to stop it. It takes a couple of stands to get back up to usual form. I do enjoy using it occasionally though. Perhaps you just need a few rounds of skeet to get used to moving the gun.