Hi Guys,

I've shot clays a few times and I've decided it's a sport I would like to get into. I'm from North Yorkshire and I was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs in the area (rather than just experience day type venues)

I found one in Barwick-in-Elmet which seems excellent (£35 for 50 clays including instructor, gun hire and cartridges). You turn up for 3 of the instructor led sessions and then you can become a member if they think you're competent (I'm not a certificate holder)

This is the kind of thing I'm after, and it's a very good option, but I was wondering if there's something very similar a little closer to home that someone on here may know of? In due course, I'd like to become a certificate holder and a club closer to home would mean that it's easier to go down the range on a Sunday if I get board if I do eventually own my own firearm/become a certificate holder.

Cheers!

Ian

North of England clay target centre at rufforth there is another club close to York, just can't remember its name.

Are you right in the city or outside of it, north south etc of centre Beverly clay target center, Cottondale, Knaresbrough gun club.

Hi Washerboy - that sounds interesting :)

As I say, I've shot a few times before but I'm 100% still a novice - I don't even know most of the terms!

If you'd still be interested in meeting and teaching me the basics, I'd be very greatful :)

When do you normally go over?

Yes I'm free weekends, I only shoot the easy sporting layout, totally useless at skeet. I'm just learning to shoot my o/u after trying to get to grips with a sxs . I'm self taught so not brilliant, as long as it's safe, fun and I hit more then I miss I'm happy .

Drop me a pm and have a ride over, it's not to far from selby or howden if you come in that way

Cheers! PM'd.

Also, I head back from NOEAC and they offer lessons for £65 an hour. A little expensive. Barwick-in-elmet is still the best place to 'learn' right now.

Does anyone know if you can get a shotgun license without owning a shotgun? Most clubs seem to want a license, even if hiring a gun.

Cheers! PM'd.

Also, I head back from NOEAC and they offer lessons for £65 an hour. A little expensive. Barwick-in-elmet is still the best place to 'learn' right now.

Does anyone know if you can get a shotgun license without owning a shotgun? Most clubs seem to want a license, even if hiring a gun.

Yes. Cert has to come before purchase. When grounds refer to hire they usually mean that you will then be unaccompanied. Without a cert there is the exemption that you can use one if accompanied. (there is a little more detail to that but that about covers it) If your having a lesson you will be fine as almost by definition you will be accompanied.

It can be a looong wait for one. I would probably encourage you to apply now.

Edit

North Yorkshire seem to be around 68 days...

Edited by Lord v

Cheers!

Do I still need a gun cabinet or can I say that I plan to hire for now? I understand different locations are different, but would it be reasonable to say that to my local FAE?

You don't need one, but I would suggest getting a cabinet and installing it as part of your application. You can say that a gun would be stored at a ground or an RFD but in the home is preferred. As part of the home visit the FEO will need to inspect the cabinet location and the cabinet installation if that's eventually how you will store your guns. If you say the gun will be stored elsewhere in the initial application but at a point in the next 5 years want to store one at home that will trigger an inspection and be a ball ache for all concerned. much easier to get it all sorted now.

While some guns are well into the £1000's a solid second hand sporter can be picked up for under £500 (sometimes well under), so if you were worried about outlay, don't be.

Edited by Lord v

First off, apply for your ticket. Shop around and find an acceptable single gun cabinet. You are then set. You can go along the route of hiring and learning but eventually you WILL!!!!!! want your own shotgun. WARNING!!!!!! it is VERY!!!!!! addictive. I went through it back in 1970/80s and still have the scars :-), but would not have missed one minute of every hour I had out on the clays. The joy of shooting clays, you can take part just for fun or you can get serious, both eventually you will need counselling.

In a way I am not kidding. It is a great sport and very enjoyable BUT ADDICTIVE!!!

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Sounds like I need a gun cabinet. Can this be installed in a garage with no issue (into solid brick) or does it need to be in the house?

Also, is this kind of thing enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290630255183

Lastly, mortgage is up in a year and I'm looking to upsize - is this going to be painful regarding the license?

Hi Ian,

Better to have it in the house if you can. Safer and less fluctuation in temperature/moisture, will wreak havoc with your guns if there's moisture or damp.

Have read mixed reviews about the GDK cabinets, but don't have one so can't comment properly about them. Have a look for a second hand brattonsound cabinet for sale, can be picked up for £80-120 no problem and there a quality cabinet.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I wouldn't have anywhere to fit it in the house (hence the upsizing :) ) but the garage is attached to the house and I've insulated it so it keeps fairly warm.

I've had a look for those cabinets but can't find them cheap. Should I be looking elsewhere to eBay?

Cheers

1. Just based on how secure the garage is/alarm etc.

2. Yep, spot on BUT I'm betting that before your initial licence has run out you may need to upsize you cabinet as well as your house :no::good::yahoo:

3. Changing address, should be no more painful than informing the Licensing Office and maybe a visit to check the cabinet fitment ... it varies and of course will vary if you move one police force to another. But should be no bi deal.